Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the "is my season over before it begins" post

• 17-01-2015 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

after suffering from two separate bouts of bronchitis last year, i had planned on getting a good solid turbo session under my belt this winter, but just my luck, ive been sick since 27th December, with yet another dost of bronchitis and tonsillitis, and have barley sat on the bike in three weeks.
    Im kind of starting to panic that my season is over before it even begun. after a somewhat poor and quiet season last year,i had planned on competing in a couple of a4 races, club league and tt league as well as doing a couple of duathlons and longer sportives such as ww200 and ROK. but im getting somewhat nervous that my lack of solid training over the festive period, coupled with copious amounts of the mother in laws Christmas pudding, will scupper my plans for this year.

Is there anything i can do to get my plans back on track, aside from not eating any-more Christmas pudding of coarse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Try and forget about last year whats done is done. I had a similar season.... got sick early and never really got going for different reasons. Start training as soon as you feel better. Its a long season so you've plenty of time. most importantly... Be positive. Best of luck with the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There's plenty of time for you to get in great shape. I did nothing from Oct to Jan last year and still managed to get upgraded from A4 during the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    after suffering from two separate bouts of bronchitis last year, i had planned on getting a good solid turbo session under my belt this winter, but just my luck, ive been sick since 27th December, with yet another dost of bronchitis and tonsillitis, and have barley sat on the bike in three weeks.
    Im kind of starting to panic that my season is over before it even begun. after a somewhat poor and quiet season last year,i had planned on competing in a couple of a4 races, club league and tt league as well as doing a couple of duathlons and longer sportives such as ww200 and ROK. but im getting somewhat nervous that my lack of solid training over the festive period, coupled with copious amounts of the mother in laws Christmas pudding, will scupper my plans for this year.

Is there anything i can do to get my plans back on track, aside from not eating any-more Christmas pudding of coarse

Concentrate on getting better, you wont lose all your fitness. Was sick for 6 weeks at the start of last year, if I had of relaxed more would have gotten better sooner.soon as I felt better was back training, very soon after sick again.
    you will regain any lost fitness quickly.
    Had a half decent season after
    Dont worry, get well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was sick from nov thru to mid. March last year.
    I kept trying to get in the bike too early when I should have stayed completely off the bike.

The biggest factor was the loss of confidence and fitness. As I became more unfit i simply gave up and piled on the pounds. Year went backwards from there.

The illness did some damage the negative attitude did most of it.
    Stay away from the bike and endeavour to remain hopeful.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

have barley sat on the bike in three weeks.
    That's a bit corny:P

A few weeks off the bike is nothing and you should be able to get it back in no time. I know when I was "indisposed" last year I had some tests done about 8 weeks in and my (very roughly esitimated) V02 max had hardly suffered at all. The weight did pile on a bit subsequently, although my season by then was a complete write-off anyway. However try to keep the weight from creeping up if you can, and when you're ready just build up from there. Don't be tempted to try too soon though as that could well set you back as already mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm in a similar boat (though I have no plans on racing and was just hoping to get a solid 12 months under me). Have a habit of getting chest infections and got one in Dec. That's finally cleared but now have an injury to ribs from all my coughing possibly. Do as others say. I'm staying away from the bike until I am 100% healthy this time round as I jumped on the bike too soon over the new year. Find something else to do with your time, some reading etc and maybe take the chance to see what sort of things you can do diet wise.

Maybe start a boards "I can't cycle at the moment and it's getting on my nerves" support group. :/ It would involve copious amounts of beer though and be of zero benefit from a fitness and health point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

1st thing to do is to forget about what has happened up to this point. Whatever training you have done/not done cannot be changed, so don't waste time thinking about it.

2nd is to get fully recovered from your current illness. when you start to feel like able to get back on the bike, give yourself another day just to be sure. 1 extra day off will not make any difference.

3rd is to focus on those things you can control. If you are sick then do all you can to get better. This means concentrate on that rather than wasting time worrying about cycling. If you are off the bike you don't have to pig out. You can do some simple core work, yoga, stretching etc. These won't take too much out of you but will be useful further down the road.

4th is to reevaluate your goals. At this stage you will not be ready for the 1st race of the season, so don't put pressure on yourself. Shift the calendar to more realistic target.

5th is to use the focred time off to do something useful. Catch up on training tips, review past performances for tips and trends that could point to areas of weakness/strength.

Most important is to remain positive that you will get better.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    Maybe start a boards "I can't cycle at the moment and it's getting on my nerves" support group. :/ It would involve copious amounts of beer though and be of zero benefit from a fitness and health point of view
    Maybe we should request a "not cycling" sub forum. Probably have as many regulars as the main forum based on the evidence of the last 12 months:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weepsie wrote: »

what if like me copious amounts of beer is the reason you cant cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »
    what if like me copious amounts of beer is the reason you cant cycle?

It is a vicious cycle alright, and the kind of cycle that can't be recorded by Strava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Can completely relate with this post at the moment. I'm just back from the doctor myself and i have been put on a 2nd course of antibiotics and corticosteroids as i have been unable to ship a chest infection that has been bothering me. Have been off the bike for 2 weeks and have been told to do no exercise for at least another 2 weeks until the lungs feel better. Feel like i'm slipping behind everyone else at the moment - especially when i look on strava and see everyone getting solid training in.

Looking forward to getting back on the bike anyway, whenever that may be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

So what we're saying here is that a large number of riders will be sick around the time of Ned Flanagan? I like my odds now... Sort of.

Advertisement