Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French wiring diagram

Options
  • 17-01-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I am trying to figure out a wiring diagram that is in French, please somebody enlighten me to what "APC" stands for? I've tried Google but nothing I can make sense of. I have managed all the other words and abbreviations but this has me baffled! For example Sortie eclairage auvent (autorisee uniquement avec la presence du +APC):confused: Sorry cant get the grave accent on the keyboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

APC is / was a brand name for uninterruptible power supplies. They were very popular in computer rooms providing power during brown outs and allowed controlled shut downs in the event of power cuts.
    I think there were smaller units for desktop computers etc.
    Google "American Power Corporation"

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

See item No 8 Don't think it's a trade name!

My French is very limited but I understand it to mean that the output to the light is uniquely controlled by the presence of the positive voltage from a power supply (APC). I think the brand name is used in a similar way that vacuum cleaners are often called Hoovers.
    I await to be corrected.

OK Many thanks for that, It had me baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cerco wrote: »
    My French is very limited but I understand it to mean that the output to the light is uniquely controlled by the presence of the positive voltage from a power supply (APC). I think the brand name is used in a similar way that vacuum cleaners are often called Hoovers.
    I await to be corrected.

You're probably right about that diagram but in English documents an uninterruptible power supply would be indicated generically by 'UPS'. You're certainly correct in stating that APC is the most popular manufacturer of such devices, you see their smaller models beside cash registers in hotels, pubs and restaurants....

350.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

Cerco wrote: »
    My French is very limited but I understand it to mean that the output to the light is uniquely controlled by the presence of the positive voltage from a power supply (APC).

Pretty much this! Guessing this is for a Campervan/RV, it is a lighting output which can only be used when the ignition is switched on (APC is what the Fench call 'après contact', or what we call ignition supply, i.e. key in and turned, but without turning the engine over!)

rob w wrote: »
    Pretty much this! Guessing this is for a Campervan/RV, it is a lighting output which can only be used when the ignition is switched on (APC is what the Fench call 'après contact', or what we call ignition supply, i.e. key in and turned, but without turning the engine over!)

Thanks Rob W. The light works with the ign off, It's the switch for the outside light (awning) I am just confused with this APC

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

digger58 wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out a wiring diagram that is in French, please somebody enlighten me to what "APC" stands for? I've tried Google but nothing I can make sense of. I have managed all the other words and abbreviations but this has me baffled! For example Sortie eclairage auvent (autorisee uniquement avec la presence du +APC):confused: Sorry cant get the grave accent on the keyboard

The French equivalent word for UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is ASC (Alimentation Sans Courant) , I think.But APC is not ASC. So that is of no help to you

Hi Adrian92, thanks for that and it's definitely APC!

I take back what I said previously re uninterruptible power supply.
    I now discovered that + APC means "ignition key".

For reference see : listed in table on page 2

Link

Apologies for misinformation. Rob had it spot on.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, The net is a great place!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

It was good to see us all working to find the possible answer.

Advertisement