Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegible Windows product key

• 17-01-2015 11:51pm

Purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad x200 on eBay. The listing stated it came with a Vista Business key. Unfortunately one group of the five digits are faded on the Windows sticker.

There's no OS so I can't get the key any other way. Don't suppose there's any way to read it? Something that might show the letters up again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad x200 on eBay. The listing stated it came with a Vista Business key. Unfortunately one group of the five digits are faded on the Windows sticker.

There's no OS so I can't get the key any other way. Don't suppose there's any way to read it? Something that might show the letters up again?

Not that I can think of, although Vista is a pretty bad OS so it might be a blessing in disguise. What are you going to be using the laptop for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Vista is not a bad OS, it's not as good as 7 but basally it's 7 with a lot of crap in it, after service pack 2 Vista ran very well, you can disable all the crap that starts up with Vista and it will run fine, of course as long as you have at least 2gb of ram. As for the question of not reading the whole key well a few years back when I had Vista I couldn't read the key when I needed to reinstall it and I rang Microsoft and they put me in touch with one of their call centres and I got a new key from them, all I had to do was take a picture of the sticker send it to them and they sent me an email with a new key. I can't remember the number I rang but have a Google for it.

I found a number you can ring. Call centre @ 1850 940 940

Thank you. I did ring them on Friday and they told me to contact Lenovo since it's an OEM copy. I have seen people say that you might need to ring a few times before you get someone helpful. Don't know what to do.

Thank you. I did ring them on Friday and they told me to contact Lenovo since it's an OEM copy. I have seen people say that you might need to ring a few times before you get someone helpful. Don't know what to do.
    You might have to do that, maybe I was lucky as it was a OEM from a HP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Try loading the free program Speccy and go to the Operating System section and see will it show you your Windows serial number there.
    If the first few sections of the serial number match your sticker you can be pretty sure it's accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Is the barcode intact? If you have a smartphone you should be able to read it with a barcode scanning app.

I had forgotten about this thread. In a fit of pique I peeled the sticker off and dumped it a few days ago. I did take a photo of it though. I've attached it to this post. I know it's not a good idea but I don't think it's salvageable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Yeah but you're not reading my first post. There is no OS so there's nothing to install those programs on in order to read the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if you can dig it out of the bin, you might be able to narrow it down a bit

use a key verifier to test it

http://d-fault.nl/PidCheck.aspx&from=litvz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Apologies, I missed the bit about no OS on hard drive.
    Looks like a no-go with the product key, but there are a few options.

You could pick up a cheap Windows 7 or 8 key for $15 key from Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
    There's an Irish guy selling there so you could get a quick response.

Or stick the new Windows 10 preview build on it for free, you should get 6+ months on it and Microsoft MAY offer a cheap (not free) upgrade to final version when it releases.

I like the Windows 10 suggestion but since the x200 has an old Core 2 Duo and only 4GB RAM I doubt it would be a pleasant experience. I have Linux Mint on it at the moment so things aren't too bad. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

try jelly bean software

Moon54 wrote: »
    Apologies, I missed the bit about no OS on hard drive.
    Looks like a no-go with the product key, but there are a few options.

You could pick up a cheap Windows 7 or 8 key for $15 key from Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
    There's an Irish guy selling there so you could get a quick response.

Or stick the new Windows 10 preview build on it for free, you should get 6+ months on it and Microsoft MAY offer a cheap (not free) upgrade to final version when it releases.

Hey man I'd thank this twice if I could. Currently using W10 Preview and it works fine on my x200.

Also thanks for that reddit link.....all the messing around I was doing when I could have purchased another Vista Business key for $8....sigh...live and learn...

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are those MS product keys legit on reddit? How can they be when they're so cheap?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are those MS product keys legit on reddit? How can they be when they're so cheap?
    probably not,
    but the OP has a valid certificate of authenticity

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MSDN keys resold probably. Nothing stopping Microsoft making them non-genuine in future either as reselling MSDN keys is against their T&Cs. Not heard of this happening, but it is a risk you take. Plus it's not a legitimate license.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like the Windows 10 suggestion but since the x200 has an old Core 2 Duo and only 4GB RAM I doubt it would be a pleasant experience.

It will be perfectly fine. I bet your PC will be faster with W10 than when you bought it new, what, about 7 or so years ago?

• Advertisement

Nah I actually picked it up on eBay last month for a small fee and you're right it does run faster with W10...happy days.

Advertisement