Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tablet for less than €200

Options
  • 18-01-2015 12:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for general use / college

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'd definitely recommend having at look at the Linx range of tablets. I'd never heard of them before seeing the thread in BA about the Gamestop deal. They get good reviews from what I've seen, good specs for the price and good build quality.

The cardphonewarehouse webite has the 8" for €130 - 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, microSD slot to expand, Win 8.1 and a years sub to Office 365. Pretty good value that.

I was using (and loving) the Nexus 7" 2013 but wanted to try out a Windows tablet so went for the Linx 10", on sale in Argos for €230 at the minute. Similar specs as above except for 2GB RAM, a bigger screen and it also comes with a cool keyboard case - both tablet and keyboard very well made imo. Defo worth the asking price. I love it anyway. :)

Links:
    Cardphonewarehouse: http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/windows-linx-8-wifi-32gb-tablet/239174/328.0
    Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3099331/Trail/searchtext%3ELINX.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Came across this - Maybe worth a look - HP Stream Signiture Edition (via Windows Central)
    7-inch HD touch screen
    Intel Atom Z3735G

1GB memory/32GB eMMC
    Up to 8 hours battery life
    Office 365 Personal
    1TB of OneDrive storage

On Amazon Uk for £156 (or £129) so seems good deal at £75 - That's assuming you can buy from the MS Uk Store. Parcel Motel delivery maybe?

Anyhow, not sure if it would be big enough for your purposes but just thought i'd add it as others might be interested too.

There was also a Microsoft branded one for €100 available in Tesco too (also available in Irish Tesco stores).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Those Streams are in PC World here for 119

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm mainly looking for one to use with one note to take notes at college.

Based on that I am considering using my ipad with a keyboard or was hoping to get a cheap Windows 8 tablet with a sytlus/keyboard to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Argos are selling their own branded Bush model now. Take a look at bargain alerts thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

HP Stream 7 signature edition is down to €99 (€30 off) at Microsoft Store online

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308686500

Adding link to our site, with some additional specs for the HP Stream - decent IPS display, 1280x800, 7-inch form factor, 6-8 hour battery life (usually nearer to 6 hours than 8 with normal usage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Meteor are selling linx 7 for 69 Euro online at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

T-Bird wrote: »
    Meteor are selling linx 7 for 69 Euro online at the moment.
    Both are similar specced devices - the screen and RAM is identical. Tests on most sites seem to show the HP has a better battery life (averaging about six hours) compared to the Linx (between 4 - 5 hours).

That being said, there are reports of some of the HP units having a lot of noise on the headphone socket - will let you know after we've had more time to test.
    So, that could swing things back to the Linx's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Seniorpeazel

I have a Linx 8. Love it. Has full blown windows 8.1 on it (not a mobile version), Office 365 and 1tb OneDrive subscription included.
    Micro HDMI port lets you connect to a Monitor or TV. Blutooth or Micro USB keyboard can connect to it which makes it a handy little piece of machinery.

1gb Ram isnt going to blow your mind but for general use and note taking in class... I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Great seeing these tablets fall in price so much. Have an Asus 8.1 tablet for a good while now, and although I don't get a lot of use out of it, it does do what I want well. Never experienced any slowness really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Advertisement