Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats ear turning black

• 18-01-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 year old male neutered cat. he is indoors mostly but gets out for a few hours most days. he's a mackerel tabby I think. anyway about 3 months ago I noticed a small black Mark like a freckle on his nose. I looked it up and saw something about hyperpigmentation and how some cats get these spots so I thought nothing of it.

recently though I've noticed that the tip of his previously pink ear is now also quite black. it's a pretty big change too. I wish I could attach photos. I won't be able to bring him to the vet for a couple of weeks. waiting to get paid. but I was wondering if this is normal with aging? I've never had a cat before, so I don't know. aside from this he's acting the exact same as ever. doesn't seem to be a bother on him. just wondering if I should have a vet look at it or if I can wait to mention it til he's getting his shots in June.

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There's a possibility it could be skin cancer, especially if the ear is lighter in colour. My white eared cat has to get sun cream on whenever he goes out. Now it might not necessarily be the case but it would be worth checking out just in case: ears and nose are the most common spots for it in cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

3 years old would be very young for a cat to get skin cancer, especially when he's inside most of the time. My aunt's cat was diagnosed with it last year but it was gone far too late for treatment so they cauterised the ear tips off to buy him some time. He was 9 or 10 though and a full white cat.
    Does the ear feel hard or rough in that spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It could be a just a problem with pigmentation which isn't a huge cause for concern. Skin cancer does need to be ruled out to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The skin changes can start quite early though Kovu - as young as in kittenhood, for an outdoor cat.

OP this is a very common condition in cats, your vet will certainly be able to give you a clear idea of what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to bring him to the vet in two weeks so. Just trying not to get too worried here.

The skin itself feels perfectly normal, not raised or bumpy or anything, just black. I'll attach a couple of photos for comparison now that I'm not on mobile. The before photos are from about June/July. After photos are today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

boomerang wrote: »
    The skin changes can start quite early though Kovu - as young as in kittenhood, for an outdoor cat.

OP this is a very common condition in cats, your vet will certainly be able to give you a clear idea of what is going on.

Oh, I didn't know that it could start that young. I was going on the OP saying it was mostly indoors though and was on my phone which I hate typing on :p

I hadn't realised that he had white points, I was imagining a fully dark mackerel stripe cat. Looking at those pics though op, I'd definitely take him to the vet to get it checked when you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

very handsome Cat OP
    Do let us know how it turns out, when you get him to the vet. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

just an update on this. the black on the tip of his ear actually gradually went away over the last week. I brought him to the vet anyway.

the black pigmentation she reckons is due to sunlight. so I have to start putting suncream on his nose and ears before he goes out. nothing serious yet anyway but will have to take some preventative measures!

Advertisement