Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging 2 routers - theory?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

One is an older eircom and the other is the latest one available - both Zyxels.

I am trying to understand how bridge mode works in the sense of how is one router setup to go through the other? Does the 2nd router (older one) need to be configured with the network name and password somewhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats your end goal, eg: why do you need to "bridge" the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Myself and my neighbour are sharing a dsl service and his router won't cover my home - I can get a v. good signal in the window sill in my bedroom so I want to add another ap to cover my whole house. I cannot connect the two routers by an ethernet cable though.

Good question.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Ahem..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93619080

Do you really need a second thread?

I'm just confused about this...

euser1984 wrote: »
    I'm just confused about this...

What, using boards.ie? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One is an older eircom and the other is the latest one available - both Zyxels.

I am trying to understand how bridge mode works in the sense of how is one router setup to go through the other? Does the 2nd router (older one) need to be configured with the network name and password somewhere?

Thanks.

What youre talking about cannot be done with eircoms equipment. You need to buy new kit, so you may as well do it right. Or not be cheapskates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

I am also curious about this...I have a D-Link router, a D-Link access point and an Edimax wi-fi repeater.....I cant seem to configure them all under the same network i.e. I have to switch to each diferent device as I move to different areas of the house manually, is there a way of having them all with the same name and log-in deatails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Myself and my neighbour are sharing a dsl service and his router won't cover my home - I can get a v. good signal in the window sill in my bedroom so I want to add another ap to cover my whole house. I cannot connect the two routers by an ethernet cable though.

Good question.... :)

The easiest way to get this working is to buy a wireless to ethernet bridge. They are quite cheap and make the set up a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

syklops wrote: »
    The easiest way to get this working is to buy a wireless to ethernet bridge. They are quite cheap and make the set up a whole lot easier.

All a wireless to ethernet bridge will do is convert a wireless signal to ethernet so no, he does not need this.

He needs a pure wireless bridge, any router that can have DDWRT installed on it can do it.

Actually, my situation is a little different whereas all 3 of my devices are hard-wired to the network, Iam trying to get all of them to transmit one single wireless network, rather than 3 different networks - can this be done?

• Advertisement

kingaaa wrote: »
    Actually, my situation is a little different whereas all 3 of my devices are hard-wired to the network, Iam trying to get all of them to transmit one single wireless network, rather than 3 different networks - can this be done?

Assign same ssid and password to each device but choose three separate non-overlapping channels to avoid interference.

in the configuration browser it wouldnt allow me name the Edimax repeater the same as the Main D-Link router i.e. "Home Network" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a repeater. Is there a option to turn it into a access point?

davo2001 wrote: »
    All a wireless to ethernet bridge will do is convert a wireless signal to ethernet so no, he does not need this.

He needs a pure wireless bridge, any router that can have DDWRT installed on it can do it.

None of those operating systems seem to be available for Zyxel routers unfortunately but I'll see if there are anymore than dd-wrt or open-wrt I suppose.
    degsie wrote: »
    Assign same ssid and password to each device but choose three separate non-overlapping channels to avoid interference.

Just a little tip also for when you do get it working. If you go into properties on your wireless adapter > then click configure and select advanced tab; you have the option to select roaming aggressiveness.

Might save you some head wrecking when you do get it up and running. Otherwise you might have three bars when your right beside another AP and should have 5.

Its a repeater. Is there a option to turn it into a access point?

yes mate, three modes - repeater, A.P. , A.P. Client.....tried all three modes, but I still have to have the are within it's wireless range named differently, therefore when you go from one part of the property to another you have to log into a different network as such. Is there a way of having all devices under one network where your wireless devices would just pick upthe best signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

davo2001 wrote: »

A wireless to ethernet bridge will do the job fine, and is the cheapest option by a mile. I've done the same thing several times.

Advertisement