Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Macbook pro non retina or macbook air

• 18-01-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Trying to choose between macbook pro non-retina and the macbook air with 256gb - The pro I would pick has 1tb hard drive ,8gb ram and i5 processor the air has 256gb ssd , 4gb ram and a different i5 processor.The pro is 80 euro more expensive.

Is there much of a noticeable difference in daily use between the Intel® Core™ i5 processor (1.4 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB cache) in the air vs the Intel Core i5 Processor (2.3 GHz, 3.3 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache) in the pro ?

Does anyone know which would be best to go for?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you go the the Mac forum here: Mac, and doc search it's has been asked lots of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭scwazrh

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you go the the Mac forum here: Mac, and doc search it's has been asked lots of times.

I've done that but can't find the answer . Can you post the link that compares the two models I've asked about please ?not just General conparison but an exact lke for like of the two models I have mentioned ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whiterebel wrote: »
    scwazrh wrote: »
    I've done that but can't find the answer . Can you post the link that compares the two models I've asked about please ?not just General conparison but an exact lke for like of the two models I have mentioned ?

No, not for exact models. The answer usually relates to the specific tasks the Pro or Air are used for such as Photoshop, FCP etc. With a question that specific, you may be better off looking for a site that has benchmarked those processors. This is the forum for iPhone, iPad etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Don't get the non-retina pro. Get the air or retina pro. I'd be going for 8GB ram whatever you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

scwazrh wrote: »
    Is there much of a noticeable difference in daily use between the Intel® Core™ i5 processor (1.4 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB cache) in the air vs the Intel Core i5 Processor (2.3 GHz, 3.3 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache) in the pro ?

Iirc, the pro is quad core and the air is dual core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

only the 15" retina machines are Quad core machines, 13" Retina and 13" pro machines are Dual core.

the 13" pro is pretty old now as it came out in 2012, I'd go for the air, but the 13" retina would be my real choice should budget allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'd had a Late 2008 Macbook for years and it was starting to show its age so when I last went to the US in November, I went with the intention of getting a 13.3 inch Air, but ended up coming home with the Retina Pro with the 256GB SSD. No comparison between them when I saw them side by side and I don't know why I even considered getting a non-Retina display. If the Air had a retina screen then it would be perfect, but for the moment I'd recommend the Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I would avoid the pro non-retina because that model is not long for this world and wont be supported as long as the MBA or MBPr.

Retina screen is nice but not essential IMO. Battery life is better on the air and that bit lighter and more portable.

Also might be smart to give it a couple of months and wait and see what this new 12 MBAr looks like, even if you don't like it, once it's released you will get better deals on the model you do want on the Apple refurb store.

Advertisement