Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Skimmed; Did I Get It On Time To Prevent Account Getting Drained?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Basically, my card was skimmed, but I had a feeling and discovered it. My card is with AIB. I rang them as soon as I had a suspicion. A transaction for €15 or so that wasn't mine had gone through, been approved etc. But I cancelled it straight away, the card is gone and I'll have a new card and all that in about 7 days.

But my main concern is, will my account be compromised now, or is it totally safe now that the card is not able to be used? (I did a "test" on Amazon, tried to order something, but it was rejected). According to the bank, nothing else has gone through apart from that €15 transaction.

My nightmare would be that my AIB account be cleared out and I'm left fairly potless for a while until they get it sorted out. What are the chances of this happening now?

It's enough of a pain for me to be left high and dry without my debit card for the better part of a week and for me to have to re-set-up all my direct debits for electricity, gas, internet, Sky, etc., but the thing I'm most afraid of now is that my account will be drained and I'll be left penniless for ages.

Can this happen now, even if the skimmers got my card details and everything, once the card has been cancelled?

This has never happened to me before and I'm totally out to sea about it and I'm terrified! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If the card has been cancelled, presumably they will send you a new card with new card details and a new PIN. Therefore, no need to worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

If the card has been cancelled, presumably they will send you a new card with new card details and a new PIN. Therefore, no need to worry :)

Yeah, that's my thinking too. But I think that the skimmer might know my CV2 Code too and all that. My coat had been hanging in a cloak room. I knew it had been fiddled with. My wallet was in a different pocket to the one I had it in. The card had been taken out of the wallet too (thankfully, this was the only card I had in the wallet as I was out).

I'm fairly sure it will be all kosher at the end of it and I'll only be out about €15, but still. I'm just sick worrying at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You should get a card with completely different numbers. The details they took from the old card are now completely useless!

Sound. I'll sleep a little easier tonight. I was panicking like a mad thing earlier.

Cheers, Party. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

It's enough of a pain ... for me to have to re-set-up all my direct debits for electricity, gas, internet, Sky, etc.

Not the question you were asking, but just a point to note, a direct debit is based on your account number not your debit card number. So there is no need to re-set them up. They will continue to work despite the fact you have a new card.

• Advertisement

BazzaDP wrote: »
    Not the question you were asking, but just a point to note, a direct debit is based on your account number not your debit card number. So there is no need to re-set them up. They will continue to work despite the fact you have a new card.

Great! Thanks for that! I wasn't fully sure. But I'll be checking with the companies anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you have nothing to worry about. My card was compromised several years ago, I think an employee in a garage where I used it probably skimmed it and sold the details on. The credit card company phoned me to say that they spotted a dodgy (mail order) transaction and that they had put it on hold, when I said it was a fraudulent transaction they cancelled the card and said they were sending out a new one. The new one went missing in the post and I never got it so they send me yet another new one.

All through this I didn't lose a penny and in your case as already advised above, any direct debits you have will not be affected since they are based on BIC and IBAN which will remain the same no matter how many times your debit card is replaced.

You left a debit card in a jacket in a cloakroom?

coylemj wrote: »
    You left a debit card in a jacket in a cloakroom?

Not my brightest moment, I'll admit. :o

I had cash on me, so I left my wallet and all my stuff in the cloakroom.

Stupid, but a few jars had my judgement clouded.

Advertisement