Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing veggies indoors in winter - grow lights?

• 18-01-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to grow veggies in winter in the greenhouse last winter but while they did sprout they quickly died back, its just too cold outside.
    The back of my kitchen faces southwest with big windows so I got one of those plastic greenhouses beside the full length window and thought that would be just the job. Pak Choi was my weapon of choice as it did best in the greenhouse trials last winter but they are just growing tall and spindly and reaching towards the light.
    So my conclusion is either I heat the greenhouse or provide better lighting indoors where it's much warmer.
    I think the betting lighting is the way to go so was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to something cheap and cheerful that might do?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello Super cell

I can't advise on the lighting systems
    But you shouldn't rule out the greenhouse heaters
    You could use a paraffin based heater - cheap to run

They are a great way to get use from outdoor greenhouses in winter

You could grow:
    Pak choi
    Lettuce 'All Year Round'
    Kale 'Darkibor'
    Broad bean 'Aquadulce'
    Carrot 'Early Nantes'
    And Spinach

These are all hardy enough for winter sowing, but as you say yourself - they will need good light levels.

Advertisement