Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londis/Besco Ballybricken

Options
  • 18-01-2015 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Is anything happening with the premises? Been years now since the fire!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Seems to be work on going at the moment.

Anyone know what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Be great to see something open back up there. Be empty for as long as I can remember now

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Could be a Tesco Express? Or is it more likely to be a Centra or Londis type shop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doubt its Tesco, they are closing stores or delaying building stores they have planning for more then opening them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Wont be Tesco anyway. They cant afford to keep open the ones they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Probably Lidl, theres an Aldi down the road and they always open near each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That news is from May 2014. That imminent opening never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think Lidl would go well there, the area just over the bridge is not well served by Lidl. I cant recall any Lidls that are in town except for Dublin, is it something they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The doors have been open over the last week or two and someone was in there, so hopefully that a good sign.

Can't see Lidl going in there as they like to have plenty of parking, unless they make an exception to compete with aldi.

Parking up there is hell even at the moment.

• Advertisement

We would surely know if it was going to be Lidl. They usually announce openings well in advance don't they?

Aldi do anyway - we knew for ages that there was one going in on the Dunmore Road.

Hope it is a Lidl

We would surely know if it was going to be Lidl. They usually announce openings well in advance don't they?

Aldi do anyway - we knew for ages that there was one going in on the Dunmore Road.

Hope it is a Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think Lidl would go well there, the area just over the bridge is not well served by Lidl. I cant recall any Lidls that are in town except for Dublin, is it something they do?

Big un in Cork City @ Cornmarket

Better Value Supermarkets: (Better Value Supermarket Limited was set up on Wed the 21st of Mar 1962 in Waterford. Their current status is Normal. The company's current directors Morgan Power, Maureen Power and George Walsh have been the director of 14 other Irish companies between them; 3 of which are now closed. Better Value Supermarket Limited has 2 shareholders)

Permission for demolition and construction of existing house at No. 7 chapel lane and its change of use from house to office with ancillary accommodation and demolition of Besco to construct a new 4 story Mixed development.

4 Retail Units/Apartments on 3rd & 4th Floor and some office space, that’s roughly it.

Photo0256_zpsrj6pokye.jpg

That notice is dated 13th August 2008, but it looks freshly put up on the door today, probably had to re-apply as permission only lasts 5yrs. Still should have 2015 or 2016 on it.

Guesses anyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

Mr Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

danjo-xx wrote: »
    That notice is dated 13th August 2008, but it looks freshly put up on the door today, probably had to re-apply as permission only lasts 5yrs. Still should have 2015 or 2016 on it.

Guesses anyone:)

nothing else has been submitted, if it was it would be on the councils website, which i must say is great.... on the map section you can see all the planning applications for the site, right back to 1969....

latest one is 2008 to break up the shop into four retail units with apartments above

Planning Application: 08500089
    Application Number 08500089
    Received Date 18/03/2008
    Application Status Application Finalised
    Application Type PERMISSION
    Applicant Name Better Value Supermarkets Ltd,
    Description demolition and reconstruction of existing house at No. 7 Church Lane and it's change of use from House to Office with Ancillary Accommodation and demolition of existing retail premises of 44-48 Ballybricken, known formerly as the Besco Site to construct a new four storey mixed development consisting of the following:- Ground Floor: 4 No. retail units with ancillary accommodation, signage, an ESB Sub Station, Services Yard and Bin Store. First Floor: 2 No. office units with Ancillary Accommodation. First floor level landscaped roof garden and first floor staff accommodation and office space for ground floor Unit No. 2. Second Floor: 1 No. Office Unit with ancillary accommodation, 3 No. Apartments (1 No. one Bedroom, 1 No. two bedroom and 1 No. three bedroom Apartment with third floor living room), Second floor landscaped roof gardens. Third Floor: 4 No. apartments (3 No. One bedroom and 1 No. two bedroom), Third floor Landscaped roof gardens and linked access to aforementioned apartment
    Location 7 Church Lane, & 44-48 Ballybricken, Waterford
    Decision Granted (Conditional)
    Decision Date 02/09/2008
    Decision Due Date 03/09/2008
    Appeal Decision n/a
    Appeal Decision Date n/a
    View further details More info
    View documents More info
    ITMEasting 660,309.37
    ITMNorthing 612,369.61
    Planning Authority Waterford City and County Council
    Date Uploaded 20160128

My understanding of planning, which is limited, is that it would have lapsed by now if applied for in 2008?

Manor Properties has just put up 'To Let" signs on it.

Wonder what the internal layout is designed for. Think I'll give Manor Properties a call Monday out of pure nosiness ;-)

• Advertisement

Ballybricken, Waterford City, Co. Waterford

€35,000 yearly
    Manor Properties are delighted to offer the former “Besco Supermarket” for lease.
    The unit is located in Ballybricken in Waterford City only short walk to the main street of the city center.
    The unit measures circa 5000 sq ft with a high profile glass front and plenty car parking.
    This is an ideal opportunity for any national brand to open a store in a highly populated area with extensive foot fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

you are correct, 5 years is the the term, after that if it is not completed u must apply again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the glass front wooden frames are in a right mess, there's rot and chunks missing. it would need some face-lift even replaced.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    the glass front wooden frames are in a right mess, there's rot and chunks missing. it would need some face-lift even replaced.

Yeah its all rotten, and about half of the glass frontage has been smashed,
    I love the bit 'and has plenty of parking' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0201/764441-centra-jobs/

Interesting announcement considering that there has been work going on in the old Besco's.

Be great if that happens just to have the presence back in Ballybricken.

I don't know how successful a Centra would be there though as the Spar on the Lower Yellow Road closed (I assume due to lack of footfall)

I know that Ballybricken would be busier but would it be busy enough?

Wouldn't even get the off license trade as there is one just down the street

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

no hope of a centra there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Lot of work going on there last weekend while I was passing. Painting the outside of the building, as well as works inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the carpenter did a nice job giving the front a facelift. It's in a need of some shutters though, as those windows are always taking a battering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement