Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Will Southampton Finish?

• 18-01-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Despite many (myself included) thinking that Southampton's excellent start to the season may have faltered a bit after a very tough December/mid-January run of fixtures, that hasn't proved to be the case.

They remain in 3rd place on 42 points, 2 ahead of Manchester United in 4th place, 5 ahead of Tottenham in 5th, 6 ahead of Arsenal in 6th who have a game in hand away to Manchester City this afternoon and 7 ahead of Liverpool in 7th.

On paper, they have a nice run-in to the season, with the same fixtures that saw their excellent start to the season in reverse.

So, with 16 games remaining where do you think Southampton will finish this season? Their fixtures can be found here, with the current Premier League table below:

c84f044bec64e986c1fef97e1e69286b.png

Poll to follow, in which I think it's fair to assume that Chelsea and Manchester City will take the top two spots.

Where Will Southampton Finish? 167 votes

3rd
    0%
    4th
    4%
    segadreamcastxtal191blaze1allthedoylesastonaidanbrianregan09LostBoy101Hollister11 8 votes
    5th
    25%
    SickBoyKingp35A Dub in GlasgoMimikyugustafoyermandan[Deleted User]NukaColaCollie DFutureGuyDamien360JohnersugarmanpopulationNoelJKirbyGadgeWoollyRedHatjustshanekeane2097 43 votes
    6th
    30%
    Corben DallasparasitebillymitchellGLaDOSstesaurusabelardVertigo100adaminhoEvil_ClownIrishGrimReaperMoneymakerrobby^5SantryRedtitan18Frankie LeeclouterSheepy99MR NINEgreendomx PyRo 51 votes
    7th
    34%
    bytePepe LeFritsatilladehun~Rebel~adoxchupacabraNIMANoshBertserdfx-Ordinary mangebbelHogzyLeBashAmiraniGreen Giantcallaway92DemostheneseDeeper BlueLamper.sffc 57 votes
    8th
    4%
    homerjay2005fred funk }{5starpoolRVD420YouTookMyNameSideshow Markblade1AdamD 8 votes
    Outside The Top 8
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

5th
    You'd have to think they're above 50% likely to be top 4 now, but with that said there is still every chance that the arse will fall out of them.

A lot will depend on just how much pressure the North London clubs can put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

6th
    Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Southampton
    United.

So fifth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

5th
    They have the defensive stability to cement a top four. Their attacking options in Tadic, Pelle, Mane can score agaist most teams and youd be pressed to find a better pair of full backs in terms of attacking from open play.

Schneiderlain and Wanayama are a great mid field pairing. Very solid keeper too.

Without being superb in any area, they are a very good solid team. Would expect 4th or 5th, most likely the latter.

Would be brilliant for English football to see them in CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

5th
    There's a very real danger for Southampton if they finish 4th though, they'd be unseeded in their qualifier so would likely face a Valencia or a Napoli.

And there's every chance there squad will be gutted in the summer again unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It all depends on injuries imo. They are currently without Wanyama and Schneiderlin in midfield and they are still missing Alderweireld at the back. They seem to have a good replacement for Alderweireld in Gardos but I'm not so sure that Steven Davis and Harrison Reed can sustain the level of play they have had from their deep lying midfielders. The next couple of weeks while they are missing Wanyama and Schneiderlin are crucial. If they can get through that period still in position then I think they will make the Champion's league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

6th
    Chelsea
    City
    Man utd
    Arsenal
    Southampton
    Spurs

I think when it comes to the business end of the season they will fall just short. Still 5th or 6th with the sales they made last summer that had many predicting they would be in a relegation fight is some achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm sticking to my relegation prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

7th
    History tells us that Arsenal usually put together a good run in any given season and they usually get CL football. They haven't had that run yet so it'll be interesting to see.

United are hit and miss. They have the players to cake walk to 3rd in whatis a poor year, but there are question marks over LVG's decisions. If he can get them to play anywhere near their best, they'll end above Southampton.

If Southampton stay above United and Arsenal, they'll be top 4. Can't see Pool and Spurs getting CL this year.

Anyway, not to worry lads, I will have Southampton in LMS next week, so dropped points are a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

7th
    I've gone for 6th but it should be noted that estimating the final place is rather crude given that this season has the whiff of goal difference decides about it. I can see a bunch of sides in the 3rd - 7th zone being all right in the hunt for a CL spot until the final game or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No 1st or 2nd poll options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I honestly think they could do it. Had a look at their fixtures and only Chelsea and Man City, both away, are the fixtures you think they're not favourites for, on current form.

They remind me a lot of Everton that time. Everyone thought they'd fall off but they held on. They're just solid enough to do it I think.

If anything, losing all those players might have helped them out in the long run. It lowered expectations and pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eagle eye wrote: »
    It all depends on injuries imo. They are currently without Wanyama and Schneiderlin in midfield and they are still missing Alderweireld at the back. They seem to have a good replacement for Alderweireld in Gardos but I'm not so sure that Steven Davis and Harrison Reed can sustain the level of play they have had from their deep lying midfielders. The next couple of weeks while they are missing Wanyama and Schneiderlin are crucial. If they can get through that period still in position then I think they will make the Champion's league.

Davis is one of the most underrated players in the league in my opinion. Scheiderlin is a big loss but I'm not so sure they miss Wanyama all that much with Davis as his replacement.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    No 1st or 2nd poll options?

No, because it's not very likely to happen and then the poll gets flooded with the rib-splitting "hilarity" crowd choosing 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

6th
    1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man Utd
    4. Liverpool/Arsenal
    5. Southampton
    6. Liverpool/Arsenal
    7. Spurs

Depends if Arsenal begin to click a bit better over the next 3-4 months, and 3 or 4 points to separate 4th, 5th & 6th, probably less than 6 points on it including 3rd place. Looks very tight.

I'd love to see Southampton in the CL though, even if it means Liverpool missing out.

Their 3 matches since the half-way point have been Arsenal, United and Newcastle and they've won all 3. 9 wins out of 16 matches remaining should do it for them and while instinctively one would expect Arsenal and United to do it, it's hard to bet against Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

7th
    Think they will run out of steam at the business end of the season. Hope they make it but id say 6th. Well done to Koeman either way. I thought they were going down this year after losing practically all key personel

I think they might sneak top 4 after looking at their remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

7th or lower, i went for outside the top 8 though in the vote because they've not got much beyond their starting xi - a few injuries and they'll fall apart. That's no great shame though, they've accomplished great things so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

4th
    Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm sticking to my relegation prediction

I was just going to bring this up, the talk at the start of the season was a little premature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Where will Southampton finish?

I believe their last game is at Man City, so that would be Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FatherTed wrote: »
    Where will Southampton finish?

I believe their last game is at Man City, so that would be Manchester
    qCJH0B0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

7th
    Really, really hoping they can get 3rd or 4th, but unfortunately I reckon Man Utd and Arsenal, from April onward, will close out the season better and could take the other 2 CL spots.

Hopefully they won't do an Everton 13/14 (hammer Arsenal with a month to go to take charge of their destiny and fall apart with the finish line in sight)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

6th
    They have very good chance to finish in top 4. They are very solid defensively and have attacking players who compliment each other. Not superstars but each attacker offers something unique to the team.

Also playing Schneiderlin and Wanyama works now because teams play open game against them but if opposition team drops deep and play like against any big teams then they might struggle to create much.

For now they have done excellently to be in the position they are in. Losing half the team and replacing them along with manager but plays like they are playing together for years.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

8th
    I wouldn't mind them getting top 4 (assuming Liverpool don't confound expectations and get it), but I think they will fall off, despite their excellent rebound from a few defeats against some of the top teams a while back. I think 6th or 7th ultimately as we've often seen teams do really well in the past up until around March and then fallen away. It's not nailed on to happen this time of course but I reckon it will.

I'd much prefer them to get it and stop 2 from Arsenal/Utd/Spurs getting it anyhow in the likely event that Liverpool don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5th
    I hope they make top 4. Long way to go but they are looking really good even after going through a bad patch Nov/Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5th or 6th I expect.

If United get top 4 I'd love to see them up their too, at City's expense of course :p
    eagle eye wrote: »
    qCJH0B0.gif

Brilliant.

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Man United
    4. Arsenal
    5. Southampton
    6. Totenham
    7. Liverpool

Can't help but feel they will slip away. Arsenal will do what Arsenal do best, spank the teams beneath them to accumulate enough points to finish 4th and claim it a successful season. Just can't see them going the distance.

If they came 4th it would be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

7th
    I think it will play out something like

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. United
    5. Spurs
    6. Southampton
    7. West Ham
    8. Liverpool

Liverpool/West Ham may be in reverse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

7th
    I voted for 6th, although I'd love to see them finish above Spurs after Pochettino jumped ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Poll's closed but i would have plumped for 5th behind

1. Chelsea
    2. City
    3/4. Arsenal
    3/4. United

• Advertisement
Advertisement