Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop freezing & running slowly

Options
  • 18-01-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an Asus F5 notebook which is running Windows Vista SP2. It has an Intel T5450 processor and 2Gb of RAM.

THis machine is almost exclusiely used for Internet browsing and the occassional bit of document writing.

It is now running slowly and freezing occassionally. What is the best way to oercome this problem?

I regularly run CCleaner to remove temp files etc. What else can I do in order to improve the performance of this machine?

My next thing is to ensure the cooling fan hasn't blocked with fluff etc. Once I've done that I'm at a loss as what to do next other than a defrag or reinstall (which I'd like to avoid, if possible).

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

software upgrade .............control panel - windows update

also shut down and restart continuously tapping F8 .............you will get black screen with options ...............choose ''repair computer '

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hi,

I've got an Asus F5 notebook which is running Windows Vista SP2. It has an Intel T5450 processor and 2Gb of RAM.

THis machine is almost exclusiely used for Internet browsing and the occassional bit of document writing.

It is now running slowly and freezing occassionally. What is the best way to oercome this problem?

I regularly run CCleaner to remove temp files etc. What else can I do in order to improve the performance of this machine?

My next thing is to ensure the cooling fan hasn't blocked with fluff etc. Once I've done that I'm at a loss as what to do next other than a defrag or reinstall (which I'd like to avoid, if possible).

Any advice appreciated.

Ccleaner allows you to edit what applications start automatically with Windows. Get rid of everything you don't need. What antivirus do you use? Check what extensions and toolbars are running with your browser. 2 GB of memory is ok, but memory is a cheap efficient upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

MarkR wrote: »
    Ccleaner allows you to edit what applications start automatically with Windows. Get rid of everything you don't need. What antivirus do you use? Check what extensions and toolbars are running with your browser. 2 GB of memory is ok, but memory is a cheap efficient upgrade.

I sam running MSE as the Antivirus.

Is there anything that can guide me in editing the startup operations?

On the browser, I'm running: Adblock. Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant is disabled. All plugins (except Flash and Adobe Acrobat) are ask to activte. I've no additional toolbars - firefox is default.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Operating systems slow down over time. You're only running 2GB RAM too which isnt really enough for Vista to run smoothly. Limiting startup programs will help a bit but its likely you need an operating system reinstall which would sort out your issues.

Advertisement