Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue acting on deposits handed from parents

Options
  • 18-01-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Seems the revenue are going to start clamping down on the gift of deposits from parent. Seems to be a counter measure to the 20% deposit rule being introduced to reduce the advantage wealthy parents and their offspring have over other buyers in the market.

Apparently the tax legislation has always been in place but rarely acted on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Have you a link for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jon1981 wrote: »
    Seems the revenue are going to start clamping down on the gift of deposits from parent. Seems to be a counter measure to the 20% deposit rule being introduced to reduce the advantage wealthy parents and their offspring have over other buyers in the market.

Apparently the tax legislation has always been in place but rarely acted on.

Id be hesitant of claiming 'wealthy'... some parents use their last bit of savings or re-mortgage their own house to help their kids.

If you are really 'wealthy' you can easily find ways to avoid tax on gifts to offspring...

Yet another strike against the middle-income group trying to eek out a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If the legislation has always been there then I see nothing wrong with it being acted upon. The law is the law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

It was on news talk this morning. I'm sure you'd catch it on the podcast.

jon1981 wrote: »
    It was on news talk this morning. I'm sure you'd catch it on the podcast.

Try putting information like that in your opening post it's kinda relevant to the discussion you've started.

/Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How would Revenue know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I heard this mentioned on Today FM this morning, missed the piece though. I would imagine this is just making sure that when a gift is given the appropriate tax is paid.

I think the key part is:
    'The first €3,000 of the total value of all gifts received from one person in any calendar year is exempt [from Capital Acquisitions Tax]. This does not apply to inheritances.'

But there is also this:

'Capital Acquisitions Tax is charged at 33% on gifts or inheritances made on or after 5 December 2012 (the rate was formerly 30%). This only applies to amounts over the group threshold. For example, if you have received gifts from your parents with a taxable value of €550,000, you only pay tax on the amount over the appropriate group threshold (Group A threshold from 5 December 2012: €225,000). So €325,000 is taxed at 33%.'

Link

'You must make a tax return if the total value of gifts and inheritances you have received in one of the groups, A, B or C, since 5 December 1991 is more than 80% of the tax-free threshold for that group.'

My understanding is that if the benefits received exceed 80% of the tax-free threshold for Group A (where the beneficiary is a child, €225,000) a person is required to make a tax return even though the total amount received is below the threshold. Given that this would be a gift up to €180,000 I don't see this being a problem for the majority. Of course I stand open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Gift? What gift? That was a loan. See they are paying us back (and I give them payment back in cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Apparently the Sunday business post has covered it. There was talk of looking at the tax free thresholds.

http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/revenue_to_target_first_time_buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I thought you were allowed to recieve cash gifts from a parent up to the amount of 225,000, which falls into group A, as per the revenue website, tax free??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Very few deposits will reach the threshold for inheritance /gift tax. Even if parents gifted the full 20% deposit on a 300/400k property the gift would be 60/80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Its not really fair that these cases are subject to CAT but someone transferring a site (up to one acre) to their child for their primary residence isn't subject to any taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

As mentioned in the Sunday Business Post, this is really to ensure that this eats into your future inheritance and gift threshold. That €30k deposit in 2015 will supposedly be recorded (I don't know how) and taken off any non-taxable portion to increase your tax liability. The only way this is going to happen is if the banks declare it to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

And if it's a loan of, say, €50k? With a loan agreement drawn up between the parent and the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭share_bear

How would Revenue know?

They get notice of all transaction above a certain limit by the bank.

I was just wondering - when people are qualifying for mortgage approval, do they actually have to present evidence of having cash in the bank, or is it sufficient to show it just before drawing down mortgage?

For that matter, if a non-refundable deposit is paid direct to the vendor in cash, is a receipt form the Vendor that the deposit was received, sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Gift? What gift? That was a loan. See they are paying us back (and I give them payment back in cash)
    Yeah David Drumm tried that one recently, it didn't work out too well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And if it's a loan of, say, €50k? With a loan agreement drawn up between the parent and the child?

If it was a loan, the bank would not be allowed to count it towards the deposit, AFAIK.

If it was a loan, the bank would not be allowed to count it towards the deposit, AFAIK.

They can and they will. They don't consider loans between family the same as they would other debt.
    For instance when I was seeking a moratorium for a few months when I lost my job, I had to fill up a form with all my income and outgoings. I listed the loan repayments to my Dad and they didn't incorporate it into their calculations as they didn't consider it a valid loan.

...but wait a minute Morrigan.

Take the new central bank rules + the revenue issue.

Whats to stop a vendor of a house offering to lend to the prospective purchaser a large deposit, say 40,000 in cash. Loan is satisfied by repayment in cash.

Purchasers then immediately hands cash back to vendor in exchange for a receipt for a non-refundable cash deposit on the property the vendor is selling. This also has the off-balance-sheet effect of satisfying the loan.

Vendor sells to Purchaser, probably at an inflated total value.

P.S. Cash probably never actually leave Vendors hands, its a notional and immediate paper transaction only.

share_bear wrote: »
    ...but wait a minute Morrigan.

Take the new central bank rules + the revenue issue.

Whats to stop a vendor of a house offering to lend to the prospective purchaser a large deposit, say 40,000 in cash. Loan is satisfied by repayment in cash.

Purchasers then immediately hands cash back to vendor in exchange for a receipt for a non-refundable cash deposit on the property the vendor is selling. This also has the off-balance-sheet effect of satisfying the loan.

Vendor sells to Purchaser, probably at an inflated total value.

P.S. Cash probably never actually leave Vendors hands, its a notional and immediate paper transaction only.

Not a chance will a bank lend on that. Major red flags if a massive amount of money arrives into an account the bank will intiate anti money laundering procedures .
    They also expect a level of regular saving to be visible. If an applicant is getting a lump sum from a friend or parent then they must make a declaration that they have no claim now or in the future over the property.

• Advertisement

Not a chance will a bank lend on that. Major red flags if a massive amount of money arrives into an account the bank will intiate anti money laundering procedures .
    They amount til so expect a level if regular saving to be visible.

I don't understand.
    It is a receipt for a cash transaction that is being presented.
    There is no red flag because no bank account is involved.

Are you saying the need to see the cash in a bank account before they will issue approval?

Are you saying the need to see the cash in a bank account before they will issue approval?

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tax is a self assessment system. Revenue may never know unless you tell them. The reality is that most people in Ireland are honest and are willing to pay their fair (legislated) share. Ignorance is not an excuse under self assessment as you have every opportunity to hire a tax professional to give advice.
    For those that want to 'avoid' their obligations then Yes there is a chance that Revenue will never find out. There is also a chance that you will be audited and assessed with interest and penalties many years into the future which could potentially cause you severe stress in your twilight years, never mind the possibility of prosecution.

Yes

So Purchaser lodges it to vendors account, with a contract between them making it a private off balance sheet loan. Since purchase of house clears the loan - we have a loan which is immediately repaid thus legitimately not incurring any tax.

Whats the problem there? I mean for a couple, 20k each giving a total of 40 k - 20 k is not a huge amount for a one off transaction. Why should bank decline?

So Purchaser lodges it to vendors account, with a contract between them making it a private off balance sheet loan. Since purchase of house clears the loan - we have a loan which is immediately repaid thus legitimately not incurring any tax.

Whats the problem there? I mean for a couple, 20k each giving a total of 40 k - 20 k is not a huge amount for a one off transaction. Why should bank decline?
    As I already said, anti money laundering procedures would make the bank decline.

Mod Can we get back on topic now please. You're already discussing this in Legal discussion, it's not relevant to the OP.

/Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've just read the SBP article. Looks like I've been a mug for the last few years recording and declaring my gifts and paying over 120k in CAT to Revenue so far.

SBP article implies that people have been receiving money for cars and houses and not declaring them, Revenue has been turning a blind eye and it was "acknowledged in the tax industry that there were some things that Revenue wouldn't go after".

Even with this new clampdown, it says in the article that someone that has their wedding funded by a parent will not be liable for CAT. I find this amazing and wrong.

Obviously, gifts for house deposits, car and weddings will generally be well below the current parent to child threshold of 225k but gifts received since 1991 and above 3k eat into this threshold. If someone received substantial gifts from their parents and then received an inheritance from a parent putting them over the threshold, I bet that many will "forget" that they received the gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

They get notice of all transaction above a certain limit by the bank.

What is the limit? And where did you get this information that revenue are informed of all transactions above said limit? Could you provide a link? Im genuinely interested as I was always under the impression that it was the interest on large amounts that revenue was informed of, not the deposited amount.

Edit - Apologies I have my question within your quote ^^!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can and they will. They don't consider loans between family the same as they would other debt.
    For instance when I was seeking a moratorium for a few months when I lost my job, I had to fill up a form with all my income and outgoings. I listed the loan repayments to my Dad and they didn't incorporate it into their calculations as they didn't consider it a valid loan.

Which pretty much proves my point: cash transfers between family members are considered as gifts, not loans, for the purposes of deposits - and by Revenue.

People cannot get out of their gift-related tax obligations by claiming "it was a loan".

Which pretty much proves my point: cash transfers between family members are considered as gifts, not loans, for the purposes of deposits - and by Revenue.

People cannot get out of their gift-related tax obligations by claiming "it was a loan".

No it doesn't. A gift is not repayable, a loan is.

I repay the equity release my father did for me when I bought. It's not a gift, it wasn't classified as a gift on my application either. But they did have to declare they had no intention of claiming an interest in my property.
    The bank do not classify loans between family members as official debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I went in for mortgage last year. Have very substantial deposit saved. The first question I was asked by her in the bank, was my money a gift. She seemed very concerned when asked. So dunno what that means

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement