Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I register a business and obtain a .IE domain name?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What I'm looking to do is register a business in order to obtain a .IE domain name for a project I'm working on with the intentions of making it an on line business.

Preferably I'd like to have the business name be different to the domain.

An example would be:
    Software Technology Company Ltd.

and the .IE domain for would be something like
    eMarketingTools.ie

I've seen online I can register my business name with cron.ie however the registration form is asking for a business number which I do not have

I'm aware theres an RBN1 form that can be filled out to register the business and posting it to them but is there anyway I can go about doing all this online?

Thanks for an assistance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

http://www.core.ie/Main/register.jsp and then follow the steps for an individual!!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

If I register as an individual would I be right in saying I could only register a domain in variations of the following format?

firstnamelastname.ie as opposed to businessName.ie ?

EDIT: You're correct. I am now able to register the business name after registering as an individual.

I've filled in the Business name as something like Software Technology Company Ltd.

Is it possible to fill in this field
    Other business name(s) under which this business is conducted
    As my example name eMarketing Tools?

you cannot use Ltd in a RBN!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Willbbz wrote: »
    If I register as an individual would I be right in saying I could only register a domain in variations of the following format?

firstnamelastname.ie as opposed to businessName.ie ?

EDIT: You're correct. I am now able to register the business name after registering as an individual.

I've filled in the Business name as something like Software Technology Company Ltd.

Is it possible to fill in this field
    Other business name(s) under which this business is conducted
    As my example name eMarketing Tools?

Why wouldn't you
    Register your business name as: eMarketing Tools
    Register your domain as emarketingtools.ie

P.S. A business name is NOT the same as a Limited company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

pedronomix wrote: »
    you cannot use Ltd in a RBN!!

Thanks and yes I had just appended the suffix just to denote that it was the business name.

So when registering the company, I can put in multiple trading as options?

Such as:
    1. eMarketing Tools
    2. eFinance Tools
    3. eHR Tools

and then register their respective domain names?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a software developer and web designer. I publish websites focused around some of the software I make and would rather the were trading as the name of the software/domain name.

Hopefully I'm making sense :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Unless you have a Limited company, registering a business name does not make you a company. It's still just you trading.

You do not need a registered business name for each domain, in fact it's not always necessary to have a RBN at all. Go and read about discretionary names.

Advertisement