Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live (brown) = positive - right?

Options
  • 18-01-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Repairing a charger for a golf-trolley battery.
    I know that it is important to reconnect the terminals the right way around.
    So, wanted to check that the live (brown) should be connected to the positive and not the blue.
    Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I think I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are we talking about the wires providing juice to the charger from the mains - or from the charger to the battery?

If it's the mains feed to the charger, that's an AC connection so it's brown for live and blue for neutral - positive and negative don't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Positive and negative are for a DC circuit and phase and neutral are for an AC circuit, so your question doesn't really make any sense.

To try to make more sense -

The connector on the left in the picture had been pulled off and I wanted to reconnect it. You can see that it has a positive and a negative terminal.
    The wires from the transformer were brown and blue (live and neutral).
    I just wanted to double-check that I should connect the live to the positive.

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I just wanted to double-check that I should connect the live to the positive.

My point is that you must connect the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative, and certainly not phase or neutral to either so I am still confused by your question.

• Advertisement

Where it connects to the battery, one terminal is the positive, the other is the negative. Which one do I connect the live to and which one do I connect the neutral to.

Where it connects to the battery, one terminal is the positive, the other is the negative. Which one do I connect the live to and which one do I connect the neutral to.

None of them. You do not connect the AC side to the DC side.

The transformer is not shown in the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Forget about using terms like positive ( phase) and neutral when dealing with batteries which are DC devices. The proper terms are positive and negative.
    Connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your question is not all that clear.

It is likely the brown is positive, blue negative.

There will be no live and neutral connected to the battery or the battery lead.

The end that connects to the battery will only connect one way.

Put up a photo of the charger showing its connections.

Phase to battery positive = hydrogen bomb.

Advertisement