Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11 speed on 10 speed hub

• 18-01-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Quick question, probably answered here already,

looking at a new bike, 11 speed, can I put the 11 speed shimano cassette on my 10 speed race wheels?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Change the freewheel and you might be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭25sean

Siucra..... Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Depends on your wheels. Mavic freehubs have had adequate spacing for 11sp cassettes for years, which is why you use a spacer with them for 10sp cassettes - just take out the spacer if fitting an 11sp cassette.

The difference in width between 10sp and 11sp Shimano cassettes is a little under 2mm, from what I can remember. Even if your wheel's freehub is not officially sanctioned for 11sp you might find that it'll work - the problem (apart from chainline) is that the cassette lockring obviously needs to thread onto the freehub far enough to be secure. Losing about 2mm of thread depth might make the engagement of the locking unreliable, it might not, it all depends on the design of the freehub/lockring interface. You could just try to fit the cassette to see if it might work, but if there was any doubt then I'd not risk using it personally.

Even if the lockring feels like it is secure with an 11sp cassette, the clearance of the chain from the seat stay when in the smallest cog is a potential concern. You might find the chain rubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

If the 11 speed cassette won't fit your freehub, you'll know soon enough as the lockring won't have enough threads to catch and you won't be able to tighten it.

You then have four possible options, all of which work well:

1. Use your 10 speed cassette as before and adjust the limit screw to prevent the rear derailleur going into the spokes.
    2. Buy an 11 speed freehub (presuming that one is available for your hub type - some hubs are too wide to accommodate a wider freehub).
    3. Change the freehub to Campag and use an 11 speed Campag or Camag-type Miche Primato cassette. 11 speed Campag cassettes fit on 10 speed freehubs and the spacing is identical to Shimano.
    4. Buy a new rear wheel. Ouch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know reasonably priced 11 speed Shimano freehub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know reasonably priced 11 speed Shimano freehub?

I got one for about €40 just over a year ago on one of the German sites, was for Mavic wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Looks to me they're brand specific.

Advertisement