Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Arsenal

• 18-01-2015 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

Thought there would be a thread on this by now. Pick of the fixtures this gameweek by a considerable distance.
    Can't see past a home win myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arsenal's record against the top teams over the last number of years is frightening.

http://www.cityam.com/1412534657/arsenal-fail-beat-top-four-team-14th-game-row-defeat-chelsea
    Arsene Wenger is now without a win in 14 Premier League games against the teams also competing in that season’s Champions League, (the previous season’s top four). Seven of those games have been draws, eight were losses.

In the 10 years since Arsenal made history by lifting the league title while remaining unbeaten for a full season, the Gunners have faced fellow top four teams 62 times. They’ve won just 15 of those games, drawn 19 and, thanks to goals from Eden Hazard and Diego Costa this afternoon, lost 28.

Arsenal’s current barren run against top four opposition is the longest in Arsene Wenger’s time at the club, although it should be noted that last season his team did record a 2-0 win over Liverpool (who eventually finished second).

Very difficult to see past a home win.

Burnley nicked a draw there so no reason Arsenal can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Paully D wrote: »
    Arsenal's record against the top teams over the last number of years is frightening.

I'm sure that's news to us Arsenal fans :pac:

But yes, Arsenal to get beaten today 3-1.

IF Arsenal win I predict a complete meltdown in the Arsenal forum. We are also well due a consistant performance against a title contender.

Christ i'd love a win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's an odd stat, we beat Liverpool twice last season and they finished second!

That said we are **** against the top teams

I'm sure that's news to us Arsenal fans :pac:

But yes, Arsenal to get beaten today 3-1.

IF Arsenal win I predict a complete meltdown in the Arsenal forum. We are also well due a consistant performance against a title contender.

Christ i'd love a win today.

Agreed if we win I'm tipping us for a late title push, if we lose Wenger out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's an odd stat, we beat Liverpool twice last season and they finished second!

That said we are **** against the top teams

But Liverpool did not fill that criteria and Liverpool also destroyed Arsenal in 20 mins last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My head says city win
    My heart says city win
    My boards prediction league says arsenal win

0-2 arsenal win

But Liverpool did not fill that criteria and Liverpool also destroyed Arsenal in 20 mins last season

Yep hence why I said strange stat, destroyed in 20 mins but beat them twice comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Arsenal are the best team in the league...handy win for them here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liverpool weren't a top 4 team when Arsenal beat them. I presume it's working off top 4 at the end of seasons.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Liverpool weren't a top 4 team when Arsenal beat them. I presume it's working off top 4 at the end of seasons.

Yep that's the stat, odd though. Liverpool were a top team last season

But as I said above our performance against top teams is awful for the last 5/6 yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's weird, but we tend to struggle against the so-called "lesser" sides, moreso than against the leading lights in the PL. Look at our two defeats this season so far; Stoke at home and away at Upton Park (though West Ham are a vastly improved side this season). We also threw away a two goal lead against Burnley on boxing day, and everyone knows our poxy record (up until this season) against Sunderland. Maybe it's complacency, at a guess. Taking the (on paper) weaker sides for granted. We need to keep our eye on the ball today, thast's for sure. Sanchez frightens me. If we can keep him on a tight leash, like we did with Costa earlier in the season, I'm quietly hopeful (ish!) that we can scrape a win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Arsenal are the best team in the league...handy win for them here

And your posts are the best on Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Soups123 wrote: »
    Yep that's the stat, odd though. Liverpool were a top team last season

But as I said above our performance against top teams is awful for the last 5/6 yrs

Yeah the record is awful but it's papers unfairly sensationalising beyond what it is. Create criteria to suit their stats.

Disappointed that Rosicky has been dropped to the bench, pleased for Ramsey tho although after 7 weeks out you would have thought a place on the bench. Coquelin preferred to Flamini and Bellerin to Chambers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Coquelin to be sent off, he won't get away with what he has been the last few weeks on the bigger stage :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Disappointed that Rosicky has been dropped to the bench, pleased for Ramsey tho although after 7 weeks out you would have thought a place on the bench. Coquelin preferred to Flamini and Bellerin to Chambers.

3 big call that, Rosicky has been great. Really think this is a level too far for Coq, hopefully adrenaline raises his game.

A lot more nervous seeing the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rarnes1 wrote: »

More fight in the Burnley side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City will be too strong for that Arsenal team but I can see Arsenal scoring, 3-1 or 4-2 I'm going with

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Arsenal to capitulate as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

3-2 Arsenal

Giroud
    Sanchez(2)

Silva
    Milner.

please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hoping we get a draw at least.
    Bit worried about Coq, Monrael and Bellerin as none of them would get near any other top team's starting eleven or even panel at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bit worried about Coq, Monrael and Bellerin as none of them would get near any other top team's starting eleven or even panel at the moment.

Depends who you're talking about. Manchester United for instance play Antonio Valencia.

Bellerin very young and Coquelin yet to prove himself but Monreal is very solid. Very little to choose between him and Gibbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah Monreal's decent enough. The other 2, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Can't see Arsenal doing anything today really, Coqeulin, Monreal and Bellerin are not prem quality players and Mertesacker, Ramsey and Giroud are not exactly lighting it up... Unless Sanchez manages to sit on Demichellis all game I can't see them getting much joy.

Depends who you're talking about. Manchester United for instance play Antonio Valencia.

Awwwh, you still regard us as a top team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Don't think will turn any matches on that Arsenal are playing until kick off with Henry in the studio. Robbing a living as a pundit.

• Advertisement

Apart like Mert out players look like midgets walking out beside City players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Awwwh, you still regard us as a top team :)

We shall see :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Kos to be sent off and Arsenal to let in more than 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Why are arsenal not in red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Coquelin to be sent off, he won't get away with what he has been the last few weeks on the bigger stage :pac:

you mean Mike Dean will relish in the opportunity to send him off.

Corholio wrote: »
    Don't think will turn any matches on that Arsenal are playing until kick off with Henry in the studio. Robbing a living as a pundit.

:D

• Advertisement

Some very timid tackling from Giroud and the size of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Coquelin has started very well.

Did I miss much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Arsenal are set up well.

Did I miss much?

Arsenal seem to be sitting back a bit more than usual, leaving City have loads of the ball. Commentators saying its due to a slight altering of our usual "gung ho" style. Not sure myself.

Solid so far from the Gooners.

• Advertisement

Good attempt from Giroud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Come on Ramsey concentrate.

Very good from Arsenal so far, just not happening for Alexis yet.

Phew!

Peno Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clumsy challenge

Get in! Deserved.

Game needed a goal, should open it up a bit more now.

Yeeeessssss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Boom.

Christ that was too close!

1 nil to the Arsenal.

Kompany get booked?

• Advertisement
Advertisement