Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow "Wild" Camping

• 18-01-2015 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Me and a few friends want to go camping in a tent somewhere in Wicklow, no caravan parks or open fields - we want somewhere wild, in a forest near a river etc.
    Do I need a permit or something? We have camping experience and would leave the place as I found it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Do a search on Boards. We stayed in a great spot near a river in Glenmalure. We got the directions from a thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nicolas_howden

ElleEm wrote: »
    Do a search on Boards. We stayed in a great spot near a river in Glenmalure. We got the directions from a thread here.

Ive been looking around but all the posts are from a few years ago - I'm not sure if they are still relevant! Can you link me the thread you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

There are lots of good Wild Camping spots near Glenmalure, just leave the car at Glenmalure Lodge and start walking....

Per the National Park Website Wild Camping is allowed in the "more remote parts" of the National Park but permits may be applicable. You can get a permit easily enough just give 7 days notice. I cannot post the URL Link but just look up Wicklow National Park and you'll find the website.

The "no go" areas are around a 3km radius around Knockree Hostel near Enniskerry, camping has been banned due to idiots who kept on just using it for binge drinking sessions and leaving rubbish etc behind!

I would also advise you to look up the Wicklow Way they have built some Adirondak style shelters on the route and you can actually stay in them/around them. Very busy in summer. Again I cannot post the link but you will find it easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Iff ye're decent folk who'll leave no trace:
    Lough Ouler
    Lough Cleevaun
    Between Lough Nahangan and the Miners village on the wicklow gap road
    Glen Mhuire, just above Lough Dan
    Glenmalure is good but in the main valley you'll have eejits gattin and actin the eejit; head up to the fraughen rock glen, or head up the north side of the valley, there's a few balcony forestry roads.
    there's also the lakes, Art's Lough or Kelly's Lough;
    Aughavanagh:
    Camped at the iron bridge on the wicklow way
    camped just above the bridge at aughavanagh, between the forestry road up to the south prison of Lug and the Ow; camped further up on the right bank
    but there's lots of sites in the forest on the left bank and just above where the forestry ends

Camping in Glendalough:
    this is regulated. if you camp where mammies and children can amble, you'll be moved on(if your camp is there when the rangers are at work)
    The rangers dont care if you camp in Coillte land ( the right bank of the valley mostly) and coillte don't mind too much if you have no fires and are in wild forest.
    It might be illegal no matter where you camp though.

Up past the Miners village above the lakes where the zig zags start has several lush soft spots for a tent. rangers can't drive there

Derrybawn ridge is a great ridge, possibly the best in Wicklow, camping below it would have a great start to the day.

If you were prepared to travel further south, theres a few spots on Croughan Kinsella, and Croughan Moira, and theres the summits of both, you can camp just below in the lee

lastly, if there's good calm weather like now, the summit of Lug...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Camping in Glendalough:
    this is regulated. if you camp where mammies and children can amble, you'll be moved on(if your camp is there when the rangers are at work)
    The rangers dont care if you camp in Coillte land ( the right bank of the valley mostly) and coillte don't mind too much if you have no fires and are in wild forest.
    It might be illegal no matter where you camp though.

I might add the following from an earlier post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057112746
    Here is what Coillte has to say about wild camping:
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/filead...lte_Eng_12.pdf
    Camping is currently permitted in Coillte forests only with permission. Permission for over-night camping is frequently granted by Forest Managers to organised groups such as Scouts or members of the Defence Forces on training exercises.

In practise camping often occurs without permission, especially close to large urban areas or adjacent to long distance walking routes. Some of this camping is conducted responsibly, but unfortunately, much unauthorised camping activity results in damage to trees, littering and other environmental damage (water quality can be an issue in some of our upland and ‘wild land’ due to the incorrect disposal of user waste.)
    Written permits are needed for groups of more than ten people, campfires, or during the period from 1st September to 28th February.

With regard to the National Parks, some allow camping and some don’t. The rules of each park needs to be checked, and if in doubt, make contact.

The Wicklow Mountains National Park allows camping under certain conditions. Written permission is required for groups of more than ten people. Campfire permits are currently suspended. Camping in Glendalough is not permitted.
    http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalp...ldCamping.html

Campfires
    Fires can be lit, with permission.
    People may apply for a permit for a campfire on Coillte lands.
    People may apply for a permit for a campfire in Ballycroy National Park.
    Campfires are not permitted in Wicklow National Park, currently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement