Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuzzy build up on fish's mouth

Options
  • 18-01-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

As the title says one of my fish has a white fuzzy build up on its mouth. My partner has put it in a separate tank away from our other fish. Another fish either has lost an eye or there's a cloud over it too. What do ye think it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds like a fungal infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

it sounds like fungus alright. there are a few good guides to identify fish diseases like this one
    http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-information/aquarium-fish-diseases-how-to-spot-them.aspx
    this only has diagrams but once you're identified what you are looking for you can look for images to really identify the problem. there are a few good treatments out there for fish just make sure you follow the instructions properly otherwise you may end up making the problem worst and/or persistent.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Thanks for your comments. Will try get to a pet shop tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sounds like cotton mouth. IIRC general treatment is melafix and daily 20% water changes.

kylith wrote: »
    Sounds like cotton mouth. IIRC general treatment is melafix and daily 20% water changes.

It's white in colour. Never saw this with fish before. We did get fish from my partner's sister a few weeks ago to add to our tank so could they have passed something on?

• Advertisement

It's possible that a new fish could have brought in an infection if it wasn't quarantined, but there are other ways

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

It's possible that a new fish could have brought in an infection if it wasn't quarantined, but there are other ways

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

Thanks for that link kylith. We never thought to quarantine the new fish for a while before putting them in the main tank.

Always, always quarantine would be my advice. I would be heartbroken to lose my stock for want of separating new fish (no matter where you get them from) for a fortnight.

Always, always quarantine would be my advice. I would be heartbroken to lose my stock for want of separating new fish (no matter where you get them from) for a fortnight.

The one with the build up died during the night. Keeping an eye on the ones in the main tank now.

Good luck with it. Keep up the water changes and hopefully it'll pass soon enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement