Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a dog be teething again at 8 months?

• 18-01-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

She's pawing at both sides of her mouth, scratching, rolling. It's not constant, just every few hours for a while and then she stops. She likes her rope, kongs and her antler bar but she seems to gnaw at that with her front teeth rather than chomp on it, IYKWIM.

Her ears are clean, cool and pale pink, her teeth are clean and I can't see any irritation on her gums.

Do their back teeth come a bit later than the rest or is it something else that anyone's experienced?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Have you checked if there's anything stuck between her teeth or the roof of her mouth? My terrier didn't lose her baby teeth until she was about 15months , maybe your dogs are just lose at the back and the new teeth coming up. Molars are the last to come in on the top and bottom jaw and usually only come in around 6 - 9 months so that may be the case with yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

SingItOut wrote: »
    Have you checked if there's anything stuck between her teeth or the roof of her mouth?

Yep, that was my first thought. I've rummaged around in her mouth and there's nothing to be seen or felt.
    My terrier didn't lose her baby teeth until she was about 15months , maybe your dogs are just lose at the back and the new teeth coming up. Molars are the last to come in on the top and bottom jaw and usually only come in around 6 - 9 months so that may be the case with yours.

Ah well, the poor pet. Extra tlc and back to the frozen carrot so. I didn't want to anxiously race to the vet and use up her spaying funds on my silliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Frozen carrots are great for teething puppies, my collie loved them but of course the fussy terrier would rather have eaten my shoes! Just keep an eye on it and don't rule out a vet visit yet but personally I wouldn't be too worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thanks so much. I'll calm myself. :)

Advertisement