Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

[IMG][/img]29v0375.jpg
    galtees
    still wet snow falling, road closed leaving tipp town for aherlow,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from the Wicklow mountains?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

No snow near Limerick City. Kilfinane and Ballylanders where roads are closed due to snow are over 20 miles away from where I live. This area is on high ground between the Galty and the Ballyhoura mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very heavy snowfall in north cork this morning. very surprising given the rain/sleet further north and east. I wonder was it the heavier precipitation made it possible. we've done pretty well down here this winter even if it won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Few cm of snow here in Clara, Offaly but it's wet snow and thawing well. My wife had a major panic attack half hour ago she couldn't get car up the hill due to ice snow on road. She had to abandon the car :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Supercell wrote: »
    Any reports from the Wicklow mountains?

Nada, nothing worth mentioning anyway. Maybe up by the Sally Gap there is some lying but nothing this side of Glencree as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Much the same pattern up here as yesterday.. a smattering of snow atop and the more northerly folds still thick. Stuff sweeping in from time to time on gusty breezes. But so much less intensely cold than yesterday thankfully. South Kerry mountain, around 400 ft above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nada, nothing worth mentioning anyway. Maybe up by the Sally Gap there is some lying but nothing this side of Glencree as far as I can see.
    By the time i was leaving, it was straight rain, not even mixed. Couldn't see the mountains because of cloud, but I'd guess just the tops of the highest peaks have anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucy_s

Nothing in Dublin 24. We have only had 2 showers so far this year. :( saying that it's gone very Grey outside. Is there still hope ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

[IMG][/IMG]
    galtees
    still wet snow falling, road closed leaving tipp town for aherlow,

wow backbird, that snow line looks very low indeed.

• Advertisement

MT's forecast this morning is a real death-knell for snow lovers.
    Time to embrace the stretch in the evenings.
    Time to get back out on the bike & walking the dog.
    Time to look forward to the first buds of Spring.
    Goodbye Winter 2014/15, will be remembered for the storm that never happened & the snow that never fell.

I was just thinking that...

PS, how do people get images to show on screen? I always use attachments. What url do you use for images?

Just click on the picture icon and use the bb code for the attachment like this - I've resized the image for you
    335774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I was just thinking that...

Looks like a trip back up Galtee Mor is in order after last nights snow!

Has anyone here climbed Neiphin in Mayo or any other high mountains in the north west recently?
    They should have multiple feet of snow by now. Neiphin has been white continuously for about 2 weeks now.

Looks like a trip back up Galtee Mor is in order after last nights snow!

Has anyone here climbed Neiphin in Mayo or any other high mountains in the north west recently?
    They should have multiple feet of snow by now. Neiphin has been white continuously for about 2 weeks now.

I saw some pictures of the Maumturks - there was some good snow and ice but those peaks are in the 600m-700m range whereas Galtymore is 900m+ and tends to hold it's snow better.

Just click on the picture icon and use the url for the attachment - you might want to resize that image first though!!

Sorry what url would I use? Do I need to upload my picture file to a certain website?

EDIT - It's ok, I have you now!...now how do I resize an image...

Nephin is over 800m and inland a bit. Its always the whitest mountain in mayo because of that.
    But it is a difficult climb compared to croagh patrick.

Ive a feeling Nephin would have quite a bit more snow than the Galtees or Maumturks at this stage because of the direction of most snow showers during this cold spell.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Nephin,+Co.+Mayo/@54.0126069,-9.3690314,8962m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x485941da444689f7:0x2d05fafe055153e9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno why all the upset, yesterday went from a snow fest to a non-event since everything went pear shaped in the charts last Thursday or so! There was never going to be anything worthwhile in the east of the country yesterday or indeed any time over the next week or 2.! We have to look into February to see if theres anything going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Sorry what url would I use? Do I need to upload my picture file to a certain website?

EDIT - It's ok, I have you now!...now how do I resize an image...

you can resize it with windows photo editor, longest side 800 pixels.
    or you could use tinypic or similar just select 15" screen for size.
    copy and paste the bb code the same way lumi suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

why do people keep posting about non events. Clearly just because certain parts of the country are not seeing much snow in their respective gardens, that doesnt mean others are the same. Clearly Ireland has seen plenty of snow over the past couple of weeks and some even saw more accumulations overnight.

It is the same anywhere, parts of the UK have got some snow this winter but the likes of London have got nothing. I wish people would stop saying its a non event just because they have not seen anything. Weather is always going to be pretty localised, with the exception of freak events like 2010.

From what i gather parts of the north west have seen pretty much non stop snow for 2 weeks now, and there has been lying snow over the past couple of weeks ranging from Donegal to Cork to Dublin and several counties in between. Clearly a far better winter than last year.

As I said i am in the eastern UK near Leeds all of this week and there is no snow here and the locals have said there hasnt been much this winter either. People need to manage expectations, northwestern europe (ireland and UK, with exception of Scottish highlands) is never going to get loads of snow each winter, the likes of 2010 are rare events but at least this winter a lot of Ireland is seeing some decent snowfall and cover. that is a decent return really even if a few on here have not seen snow. Who is to say February wont deliver anyway, charts seem to change every day. I for one wasnt expecting snow in Dublin 18 last week but there as decent snow on the ground for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Well we all know it's not 'really snowing' in Ireland unless Dublin gets snow... then the media get into a frenzy about snow / mini-ice age etc (remember that gem back in 2010) This morning I even heard DJ's on a Dublin based national radio station asking what all the fuss about snow was that it was all a lot of rubbish. Cork rarely get's snow / ice etc - but this past week has been the exception to the rule. :D

you can resize it with windows photo editor, longest side 800 pixels.
    or you could use tinypic or similar just select 15" screen for size.
    copy and paste the bb code the same way lumi suggested.

I am confused. Are you saying they are too big in byte size and also too big in terms of dimensions?

Plenty of advice on how to resize images on the Photography Forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

We didn't have anything like the guys in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo and even Cork and Kerry but we did have one evening of excitement - much, much better than last year.

I would still love more, several days at least would be great though so I'll still be watching for all your comments with huge anticipation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nephin is over 800m and inland a bit. Its always the whitest mountain in mayo because of that.
    But it is a difficult climb compared to croagh patrick.

Ive a feeling Nephin would have quite a bit more snow than the Galtees or Maumturks at this stage because of the direction of most snow showers during this cold spell.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Nephin,+Co.+Mayo/@54.0126069,-9.3690314,8962m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x485941da444689f7:0x2d05fafe055153e9

I saw a video on Sunday evening of a group hiking the Maumturks that day in approx. a foot of snow. I'd imagine Nephin would have significantly more.

https://www.facebook.com/maumturks.walkingclub?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

An FYI - the cloud cover over 3 rock has lifted in the last while and not a sniff of any lying snow up there, not from this side anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It didn't snow then......

Is it ok to say that now?

Depends!

If you say the whole thing is a non-event because it didn't snow in your yard, that's gonna annoy some folk.

If you say it's a non-event 'cos it didn't snow in Dublin - then the board will start flashing red :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    I saw a video on Sunday evening of a group hiking the Maumturks that day in approx. a foot of snow. I'd imagine Nephin would have significantly more.

https://www.facebook.com/maumturks.walkingclub?fref=ts

Thanks Zippy, thats a good source to check out snow depths!
    My friends are looking for a snowboarding location this weekend coming up. Im not sure where to recommend to them though, they are looking nationwide.
    We are used to going up Kippure because of the high access road but conditions havent been great there since 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just to update on the rest of the week.

Tonight will be another cold night with temperatures away from the west generally between 0 and -2c so ice and frost will occur in many places. Some wintry showers widespread over night - a mix of rain, hail, sleet and snow.

Tomorrow temperatures stay maxing between 4 and 7 c generally. Mostly dry, a few showers in the northwest.

Tomorrow night, very cold. temperatures could fall to -6 c in the north, more generally -2 to -4 c. Severe frost and ice on untreated damp roads.

Thursday is a mostly dry clear day in slack winds. Temperatures 3 to 7 c. On Thursday night rain and drizzle will move down from the northwest keeping temperatures higher and above freezing pretty much everywhere - generally 1 to 4 c.

Friday starts wet in the southeast, mostly dry elsewhere. Temperatures to begin around 6 to 9 c. Later in the day light rain and hail showers in the west and north west turn quickly to snow and become frequent and heavy for a time Friday night in the west and north but becoming more confined to the northwest by morning. Some accumulations and disruption possible here for a time.

For Saturday and Sunday much milder air sweeps in from the southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Had a nice covering of snow here about 3am this morning but must have turned to sleet not long after as there wasn't much left this morning.
    All gone now apart from some frozen stuff leftover from Friday.
    Back roads will be lethal here if it freezes later.
    3am :)
    335806.jpg

10am :(
    335807.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Something I noticed on my rounds today. Some small and medium size lakes especially sheltered areas have a thin layer of ice forming even out in the middle of the lake not necessary confined to the lake edges that has not happened since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been a dramatic sky day up here.. south kerry about 400 ft asl.... A wide rainbow against the snow, sunshine between showers and now the late sun lighting white the thick snow on the back ranges against navy blue clouds...Still lingering snow .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Something I noticed on my rounds today. Some small and medium size lakes especially sheltered areas have a thin layer of ice forming even out in the middle of the lake not necessary confined to the lake edges that has not happened since 2010.

I noticed that too Hotwhiskey - travelling northwest on the train yesterday I noticed ice floating on parts of the canal and on the edges of the shannon where it meets the railway line near carrick it was very icy!

Still extremely cold here today in South Sligo the snow that fell went slushy so there's grass poking through but now in the evening what is left is getting slippy - the surface of my water butts had ice on them too - so I would expect rural, hilly roads around here to get pretty dangerous if the temps drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement