Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

An igllo house in mayo,changed times,ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

eastmayo wrote: »
    An igloo house in mayo,changed times,ha

What's the property tax on that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so no chance of snow this week then?? for the mid-west??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Extremely heavy fog here in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any wind events on the radar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Made a break for freedom today after another 2 inches overnight,on the way to Carrick on Shannon for the groceries, the 6 miles down to the main road were thick with snow and slippy in places, once on the main road things were fine and treated.

I too noticed a few of the lakes starting to freeze over today, snowing again as I write.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Made a break for freedom today after another 2 inches overnight,on the way to Carrick on Shannon for the groceries, the 6 miles down to the main road were thick with snow and slippy in places, once on the main road things were fine and treated.

I too noticed a few of the lakes starting to freeze over today, snowing again as I write.

If you get anymore someone will have to organise a chopper to drop off supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

If you get anymore someone will have to organise a chopper to drop off supplies.

Parts of Ireland have done well over the past week especially higher ground in North West. It is very, very, very unusual for the west to get sustained snow showers for a week or so although the temperatures are not that cold (polar maritime).

Leinster has done very poorly including Dublin.

Easterly/North Easterly winds do not seem to be on the cards....Belfast along with Dublin has hardly seen any snow while it did snow in Cork ....that is a major shift in things.

The continent is very mild...has not snowed once in Paris suburbs according to my sister in law and practically no snow in lowlands of Germany/Holland/Belgium as there is no easterly wind or set-up....

I don't see it happening soon either...nothing to suggest such a development in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    It is very, very, very unusual for the west to get sustained snow showers for a week or so although the temperatures are not that cold (polar maritime).

It's very unusual for any part of Ireland to get sustained snow showers for a week. :)

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be alot of snow in parts of Wales and England tonight from that band of rain which has cleared out into the Irish Sea. Snowing heavy in some parts already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Any wind events on the radar?

FI stuff

216-21UK_wzy2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

A small change in the track of that could lead to a massive storm surge for the Thames river basin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Netweather radar shows freezing rain falling in parts of Mayo now.
    Roads should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pretzill wrote: »
    I noticed that too Hotwhiskey - travelling northwest on the train yesterday I noticed ice floating on parts of the canal and on the edges of the shannon where it meets the railway line near carrick it was very icy!

Still extremely cold here today in South Sligo the snow that fell went slushy so there's grass poking through but now in the evening what is left is getting slippy - the surface of my water butts had ice on them too - so I would expect rural, hilly roads around here to get pretty dangerous if the temps drop.

Yes I noticed edges of lakes freezing over aswell, Temperture dropping here now to 1C, very wet if this freezes now it will be bad. Still loads of snow on the hills here, Big fall on the hills before Racheal came, then it melted, a little bit stayed on it and since friday they have been very white indeed.
    People complaining that europe is warm, I dont care about europe at the moment, its cold here and theres snow to be seen around the North West. Many times there was Cold in Europe and even the UK and we were stuck in the Mild. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

No snow here in Yorkshire. BBC warning of snow here from 6pm and there has been none at all, drizzly rain and I am in the hills. Maybe that will change later in the night but no snow here over the past few days

Meanwhile -16 in Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Been awake and "up" since around 2 am.. wild and wet out there all the night long. I keep forgetting what " moderate" means where wind is concerned. Sudden loud gusts and deluges on roof and walls. No snow can have survived that as I am sure I will find when full light comes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Absolutely treacherous road conditions around us in Whitechurch. Black Ice everywhere, traffic is moving so slowly that there's a traffic jam through the village - which must be the only time in history this has occurred. 96fm reporting several cars are now gone into the ditch on road into Cork. It's looks perfect fine out.

If marie and her dog rescue are still up there maybe a few dogs and a sleigh..

Absolutely treacherous road conditions around us in Whitechurch. Black Ice everywhere, traffic is moving so slowly that there's a traffic jam through the village - which must be the only time in history this has occurred. 96fm reporting several cars are now gone into the ditch on road into Cork. It's looks perfect fine out.

Please take great care anyone driving out there. Black ice is a killer as it is invisible

• Advertisement

Brutal, feral, arctic.... words there are few.. Just been out to check on the dogs. Collie is blind and can get mislaid and sure enough she was hunkered down at the back so although she was probably OK I talked her in nearer the house..Not dressed yet and SO COLD and windy out there....takes the breath away.. Snow status; if anything a little more than last night and the sky is ominous and dark especially just to the west. I would not be surprised whatever falls today. Shivers! Safe back with my hot water bottle and counted the cats. My big boy somehow got left out last evening.. boy did he lambast me when I realised he was not in the house and opened the door... South Kerry mountains around 400 ft asl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hmm interesting drive in rained at 7 am so sheet black ice. local in ditch at the bottom of the road. Checked to see if he was ok !.
    The winter tyres have earned there keep this year!

Snowing here in Yorkshire but not really sticking. Getting to experience the media hype in the UK, talk of 10-15 cms here in the Yorkshire hills. Hardly 1-2cm I would say today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same down here in Essex, first snow of the winter though not sticking and not exactly exciting. Mainly light flurries with a few heavier bursts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dull and overcast with low cloud and a NW breeze; temperature only +1c.

It's been the same temperature since around midnight. Damp, 98% humidity, but less than 2 mm of rain in the past 24 hours.

I can see up to about 1500 feet and no sign of any snow (Wick/Dub hills, NE flank).

Which is odd because it means it is hardly any colder 1,000 feet higher up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

It snowed all day yesterday and into last night on the Wicklow mountains above 1200ft in the far south of the range and lower in central parts
    There's now serious cover up there
    Lugnaquilla looks like Everest
    Croghan moira looks like Mont Blanc
    There's a few inches on Croghan (kinsella) too on the Wicklow Wexford border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It snowed all day yesterday and into last night on the Wicklow mountains above 1200ft in the far south of the range and lower in central parts

Nice, sounds like snowboarding in Wicklow could be on the cards this weekend after all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Dull and overcast with low cloud and a NW breeze; temperature only +1c.

It's been the same temperature since around midnight. Damp, 98% humidity, but less than 2 mm of rain in the past 24 hours.

I can see up to about 1500 feet and no sign of any snow (Wick/Dub hills, NE flank).

Which is odd because it means it is hardly any colder 1,000 feet higher up?

I think we're fairly close by. It feels really cold outside any time I let the dogs in or out the door and even with the heat on, there is still a chill inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Seemingly I still can't post links but I'll change this one slightly so as to post it and ye can fix the link,copy and view

Quality is bad as its a screen grab and wanted a small image
    Also the camera has no zoom so far away mountains look smaller than to the naked eye

On the right on the horizon behind the trees is a snow plastered Croghan moira
    To the left and about 15 miles behind it is the long East facing lugnaquilla

From my vantage, you'd swear Croghan moira was higher (it's the mountain shaped one) but in reality distance deceives and obviously Lug is a thousand feet higher

gbHWdUa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I drove through it at 7.30am and the roads were the worst I've ever seen. Fair play to everyone taking it slowly and carefully, though I must have been before the cars that went off the road....that was the hardest journey I've ever taken in 15+ years of driving! Getting winter tyres was a good choice this year, though not sure they helped much.

Drive safe everyone and those of you that love this weather spare a thought for those of us that have to drive early in the morning, it isn't fun!

Gorgeous day out now though. Melt that ice Mr Sun!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement