Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

[quote

g Song;93939553"]I drove through it at 7.30am and the roads were the worst I've ever seen. Fair play to everyone taking it slowly and carefully, though I must have been before the cars that went off the road....that was the hardest journey I've ever taken in 15+ years of driving! Getting winter tyres was a good choice this year, though not sure they helped much.

Drive safe everyone and those of you that love this weather spare a thought for those of us that have to drive early in the morning, it isn't fun!

Gorgeous day out now though. Melt that ice Mr Sun!![/quote]

Lugnaquilla has the most snow coverage of any mountain in Ireland at 953 metres in the East of the country.... It often has snow well into May...Wicklow mountains are generally the most snow covered range in Ireland and get huge snow........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

How is that relevant to what Frog song posted?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Lugnaquilla has the most snow coverage of any mountain in Ireland at 953 metres in the East of the country.... It often has snow well into May...Wicklow mountains are generally the most snow covered range in Ireland and get huge snow........
    Almost as much as Castleknock and the rest of Dublin 15 then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think we're fairly close by. It feels really cold outside any time I let the dogs in or out the door and even with the heat on, there is still a chill inside.

Resonating with this here in South Kerry. My old collie decided to have an old lady wander day in the deluges so I finally rounded her in and gave her a rub down and a warm feed and put them to bed. Just too cold to be out and the range makes less impact than hoped. But the wind is from the north and when that changes it will surely ease.

Volatile unstable bitter cold day. Sudden sunshine, then rainbow and then dark deluges, icy and harsh. Sweeping over the mountains from the west..Affects mood..remind me of the wind somewhere in Europe that affects mood so badly it has been used as a defence in court after violence. I see that the wind is due to change from north over the next day so that will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Graces7 wrote: »
    Resonating with this here in South Kerry. My old collie decided to have an old lady wander day in the deluges so I finally rounded her in and gave her a rub down and a warm feed and put them to bed. Just too cold to be out and the range makes less impact than hoped. But the wind is from the north and when that changes it will surely ease.

Hopefully it will make the difference. I have noticed it before - strange that the direction of the wind outside affects the feel inside. I must have a look at our insulation on that side of the house. Stay warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Harps wrote: »
    Same down here in Essex, first snow of the winter though not sticking and not exactly exciting. Mainly light flurries with a few heavier bursts

Here in Bedfordshire I've not seen snow on the ground since Jan 2013. :mad:

Hopefully it will make the difference. I have noticed it before - strange that the direction of the wind outside affects the feel inside. I must have a look at our insulation on that side of the house. Stay warm!

Thanks. This house has no insulation.. thick stone walls. The vernacular architecture wisely built the north facing back with no doors or windows. just 2-3 foot stone walls..They knew what they were at.. when they renovated they added two back windows and a back door.. go figure! The snowy mountains are of course to the north. Not so strange! You will hear a great sigh of relief from here when the wind changes....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Graces7 wrote: »
    Volatile unstable bitter cold day. Sudden sunshine, then rainbow and then dark deluges, icy and harsh. Sweeping over the mountains from the west..Affects mood..remind me of the wind somewhere in Europe that affects mood so badly it has been used as a defence in court after violence. I see that the wind is due to change from north over the next day so that will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

I lived in Austria for a few years and the locals were convinced this was true. I cant say I noticed it too much

flikflak wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

I lived in Austria for a few years and the locals were convinced this was true. I cant say I noticed it too much

That is the one; thank you. Probably some are more susceptible than others and also probably those who live rural more than urban. That is so for SAD often, Chatted with a girl who had only suffered SAD since working at a garden centre in the country. I have been a clutz all this week. Irritable too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

great to see simon keelings forecast for the end of next week signs are showing it could go colder again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Stuck in Leeds airport!! Hours delayed, I reckon about 5cms of snow out there. What a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It snowed all day yesterday and into last night on the Wicklow mountains above 1200ft in the far south of the range and lower in central parts
    There's now serious cover up there
    Lugnaquilla looks like Everest
    Croghan moira looks like Mont Blanc
    There's a few inches on Croghan (kinsella) too on the Wicklow Wexford border
    Just to follow up on this, got my first sight since yesterday morning... Snowline a lot lower than I thought. Scarr has a good covering. Djouce seems to have a decent covering, albeit with a higher snowline than scarr. Shame I wasn't off to go for a spin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Just to follow up on the road conditions in cork mentioned earlier
    The M11/N11 was not gritted in co Wicklow last night and this morning, there was a 4 car pile up at the end of the Arklow by pass so it Had to be closed for a while
    On the slip road down onto it,there was a jeep on its roof
    So be careful driving as it will be worse tonight
    Hopefully the system that tells the gritters to treat the roads will work better tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Just been out and about and roads are very icy already. I hope the gritters are on the ball tomorrow...and the nervous drivers get the bus!

All is blissfully quiet and was all last night. Still and calm and cold but not that icy blast of the last few days... looking ahead and may get out on Saturday as hoped....before the next chill.. I can breathe! But it can always wait if need be...I get a fearful wanderlust in these months when I am not trading.....off over the hills and far away.. and there will still be snowy tops

Just been out and about and roads are very icy already. I hope the gritters are on the ball tomorrow...and the nervous drivers get the bus!

I love Falcarragh! Used to live near there...and yes, best place for nervous drivers is off the road.. I mean by choice not by accident ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭No Bills

Foggy and below freezing in Dublin 6 this morning. Take care.

It has been a beautiful day. Calm and sunny, clear skies and utter calm. I took my coffee out at the back, gazing at the snow topped mountains in peace. A respite and a boon... Getting cloudy and chilly now but a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature has been rising all day and has now evened at 8.2c. Lovely and mild inside and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Temperature has been rising all day and has now evened at 8.2c. Lovely and mild inside and out.

Dark, cold and foggy in my area of the Midlands :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still only 3C here but looking increasingly mild from tomorrow till the beginning of February. At this stage I welcome the much milder air and don't want to see anything cold again unless it's from a frozen continent!

Gonzo wrote: »
    still only 3C here but looking increasingly mild from tomorrow till the beginning of February. At this stage I welcome the much milder air and don't want to see anything cold again unless it's from a frozen continent!

I echo that feeling! Still bitter here but things will be better tomorrow and it was so lovely to sit outside and enjoy the air and sun. My feral cat thought so too; he almost sat on my lap which after two years is a huge step..So looking forward to going out on Saturday now. Seaside time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Feeling distinctly icy in Dublin city centre this evening! And no wonder, -1 at Phoenix Park at 8pm already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The M11/N11 was not gritted in co Wicklow last night and this morning, there was a 4 car pile up at the end of the Arklow by pass so it Had to be closed for a while

Irony!

The Dun Laoghaire section was but there was no frost!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

roads here are lethal at the moment, the most icy conditions we've had over the past month, real bad hoar frost appearance outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This photo overlooking the Wicklow Mts was taken by the Irish Air Corps yesterday.

336096.jpg

What an amazing looking place.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Gonzo wrote: »
    roads here are lethal at the moment, the most icy conditions we've had over the past month, real bad hoar frost appearance outside.

Where is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Where is here?

Dunshaughlin, Co Meath. It says it in his profile description on the left side of the screen. Gonzo, I drove through Dunshaughlin around 2330 this evening. There was indeed a very heavy hoar frost in the area. On my drive from Drogheda to home, it was by far the frostiest area. There was frost visible in areas on the quiet roads but traction was still quite good. Was nothing like driving on regular ice or black ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I'm hoping for a good thaw at this stage, have had snow lying since tues 13th and as much as I like snow I'm over it! still about 4 inches of frozen snow here. currently 2.6C and rising so hopefully I will be able to walk normally tomorrow or soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement