Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Snow starting to fall in Castlebar now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

For those asking,yes radar always over estimates snow falling
    You need to assume precipitation doesn't happen in the lightest colour range on the Met Eireann version
    Unfortunately on all other versions including net weather you'll be seeing the false result but unable to determine where unless you go back to the Met Eireann version

Temp has dropped to 2c in Arklow
    Dp -1c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Raining in Cork city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp has dropped to 2c in Arklow
    Dp -1c

Ditto here, a slight thinning of cloud has allowed temp to drop (from 2.5c earlier) to 1.9c DP -1.2c atm.

If that intensity of ppn on the radar was maintained as at travels east, I'd say not a sausage to be seen here as all would be absorbed by the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Rain arriving in West Cork (Clonakilty) :(
    It will be interesting to see what falls when it moves north of the county to us... Still bitterly cold here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

0.9c in Tullow with DP of -2.5°C

1.0c was highest temp so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Zzippy wrote: »
    Radar shows ppn here in Galway City for at least the last 2 hours, but it's bone dry outside, I've only seen a few very light snow flurries. Possibly ppn at altitude but not making it to the ground, or is that possible?

Edit: Snap Steve and Discodog! :)

I've never seen anything like it. I cancelled my lunch plans due to the approaching front showing on radar. It's shows the first precipitation over Galway at 12.00, but with the exception of one or two very light snow flurries, it's been bone dry. Very strange :confused:

Villain wrote: »
    0.9c in Tullow with DP of -2.5°C

1.0c was highest temp so far today.

Jaysis :D
    Have you any wind there? Flat calm here in Arklow hence why the cold has remained here?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ditto here, a slight thinning of cloud has allowed temp to drop (from 2.5c earlier) to 1.9c DP -1.2c atm.

If that intensity of ppn on the radar was maintained as at travels east, I'd say not a sausage to be seen here as all would be absorbed by the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.
    Well we're warmer than the west so you know what happens when cold air meets warm :p

Dewpoint in Arklow now -2.1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I've never seen anything like it. I cancelled my lunch plans due to the approaching front showing on radar. It's shows the first precipitation over Galway at 12.00, but with the exception of one or two very light snow flurries, it's been bone dry. Very strange :confused:

Yep it's so dry that the roads have dried up, which I've hardly seen for weeks. 3.6C in Galway now so doubt we'll see any snow if it does start to come wet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

irishfeen wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what falls when it moves north of the county to us... Still bitterly cold here.

About 55k north west of Clon and its cold rain here im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On my hill in North Kilkenny, we got to:
    Max temperature of 1.6C.
    Current mean temperature for today is: -1.0C
    Current temp: 0.7C
    Dewpoint: -1.5C.

Will get some snow, most likely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Well we're warmer than the west so you know what happens when cold air meets warm :p

Dewpoint in Arklow now -2.1 :eek:

Temp and DP dropping here too. 1.4c DP -2.4c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Jaysis :D
    Have you any wind there? Flat calm here in Arklow hence why the cold has remained here?

Yep dead calm here all day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Snow blowing right to left at knock in a freshening SE wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

That band of showers coming from the West, just doesn't want to pass the halfway point of the country.

I'm not holding any hope anyway

335688.JPG

Temp and DP dropping here too. 1.4c DP -2.4c now.

I'm not going to post every temp drop here because I'll hit 50 posts at last :D but yeah 1.8c and -2.3 here
    Edit 1.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

About 55k north west of Clon and its cold rain here im afraid.
    Still nothing falling Mallow direction - just bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

flanzer wrote: »
    That band of showers coming from the West, just doesn't want to pass the halfway point of the country.

I'm not holding any hope anyway

335688.JPG

It's getting there, albeit slowly. It seems to be a case of two steps forward and then one step back.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to post every temp drop here because I'll hit 50 posts at last :D but yeah 1.8c and -2.3 here
    Edit 1.6c

Ah come of it! What could be better than an afternoon spent with your face stuck to a weather station console! :P

BTW...1.2c DP -3.1c. Quite surprised by the quick fall in temp and DP.

0.7c and DP -2.7c

Or just watch it drop on http://carlowweather.com/wxindex.php :D

Ah come of it! What could be better than an afternoon spent with your face stuck to a weather station console! :P
    Feet freezing in inches of snow :p
    BTW...1.2c DP -3.1c. Quite surprised by the quick fall in temp and DP.
    Yup mother nature seems to be besting the models?
    Dub's TAF might need revising?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

anyone got any reports of the sleet and snow moving west to east yet?

Moderate rain with a very slight sleet element in the heavier rain here in Clare with a temp of 3.1c and a DP of 1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I'll hit 50 posts at last :D

Gotta be here 10 days as well :P

Temp in Galway city 3.4C, DP has risen to 0.5C with an occasional snowflake drifting by

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

0.7c dp -1.4c here in Kildare

www.naasweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just started to rain in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Getting breezy here in East Clare, driving across to Lisdoonvarna soon via Ennis
    Cloudy outside too....
    Looks like the cloud canopy is getting lower. ..still dry though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rain here now and most of the mountains are bare again. The cold is intense and stultifying, fills the lungs with icy air.... closing down to try to get warm abed.. cannot cope with this kind of weather...seem to have been feeding critters and the fire all day! Cats have stolen my chicken which I stupidly left out.. self service !Have a lovely evening vigilling for snow..South Kerry mountains..around 400 feet above sea level Stay safe and warm

• Advertisement

I don't think temp will be an issue here but I don't think any decent showers will make it this far either :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement