Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulging tubes around the valve

• 18-01-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I got new continental gp4000 tyres, and managed to puncture the existing tube on the front while fitting them

I replaced the tube and pumped it up to give the tyre shape(probably only to 60-70psi)

Was going out or a spin today, so pumped it up 110psi, then I noticed a bulge in the tyre around the valve. Enough that it won't pass through the brakes

I wasn't sure if it was the tyre or the tube at fault so I replaced the tube, and rotated the tyre on the wheel, and pumped it up, but the same thing happened around the valve, the two tubes came from the same batch, I bought from chain reaction(link below) after Christmas, they re the only 2 I have used from the pack of 10, I was reluctant to try a third one in case it was somethingi was doing wrong.

I normally place the tube around the rim inside the tyre and pump a small amount of air in to make sure the tube isn't twisted, then I let the air out and I then put the tyre back on fully, and pump.

Do you think those tubes are faulty. Or am I doing something wrong or did I buy cheap tubes and I am paying the price now?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/airwave-road-tube-super-value-10-pack/rp-prod78327

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I got new continental gp4000 tyres, and managed to puncture the existing tube on the front while fitting them

I replaced the tube and pumped it up to give the tyre shape(probably only to 60-70psi)

Was going out or a spin today, so pumped it up 110psi, then I noticed a bulge in the tyre around the valve. Enough that it won't pass through the brakes

I wasn't sure if it was the tyre or the tube at fault so I replaced the tube, and rotated the tyre on the wheel, and pumped it up, but the same thing happened around the valve, the two tubes came from the same batch, I bought from chain reaction(link below) after Christmas, they re the only 2 I have used from the pack of 10, I was reluctant to try a third one in case it was somethingi was doing wrong.

I normally place the tube around the rim inside the tyre and pump a small amount of air in to make sure the tube isn't twisted, then I let the air out and I then put the tyre back on fully, and pump.

Do you think those tubes are faulty. Or am I doing something wrong or did I buy cheap tubes and I am paying the price now?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/airwave-road-tube-super-value-10-pack/rp-prod78327

Did you make sure the valve base was pushed up inside the tyre bead? If it isnt it will cause the tyre bead from being fully seated in the rim and cause a bulge in the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Deflate the tubes and re-fit them. While deflated, push the valve back into the tyre from the wheel side and make sure that the bead of the tyre is seated correctly in the rim, inflate a small bit and check again, then when happy that it is not recurring, inflate fully- the valve will naturally pop back out. Dont cycle until you sort this - You may be risking a blow-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Thanks for the advice, will try that out and see how I go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Maybe oil the tube around the valve a bit too, so it will seat easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

gadetra wrote: »
    Maybe oil the tube around the valve a bit too, so it will seat easier.

Most oils (with the possible exception of silicone oil) wouldn't be compatible with the tube. Talcum powder would be a far safer bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement