Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going through pre-clearance in Shannon Airport

Options
  • 18-01-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So, I'm travelling to Boston via Shannon airport in 3 weeks time for 4 weeks. I'm staying with my girlfriend over there. I was there on a J1 visa last summer and worked in a bar over there. I haven't been back since.

I am a bit concerned hat I wont be allowed in, because the border agents will think I'm going back to work there. However I have a graduate job which starts next October. Will they allow me in, providing I show them proof of this job and have enough funds for the 4 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I doubt you'll have any problems, many Irish go on the J1 and then keep visiting on holidays.
    In terms of the girlfriend, if they ask, you need to tell them. If they do not ask, I would not volunteer the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nothing about your record makes you look like anything but a tourist so I really wouldnt worry about it.

And anyway its not all just on the word of the immigration person in the booth at the airport. If they were going to deny you entry they'd have to put you through more questioning and its pretty obvious you're not going over to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fear88

Thanks for the replies, I'm just a bit nervous because I've visited her 3 times before the J1 visa. I'm just concerned that I'll get hassle because I don't have a job to come back to in Ireland until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I went through pre-clearance in Shannon in June on the VWP. I was going for 8 weeks and I didn't have any job to come back to. I had a return date and enough money in my account (€3,000) for them to be satisfied. You have a graduate job to come back to so you should be okay.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I went through pre-clearance in Shannon in June on the VWP. I was going for 8 weeks and I didn't have any job to come back to. I had a return date and enough money in my account (€3,000) for them to be satisfied. You have a graduate job to come back to so you should be okay.

Were you taken into secondary? Or did they just ask you questions at the booth and let you go?

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »

Were you taken into secondary? Or did they just ask you questions at the booth and let you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

fear88 wrote: »

Just at the booth and then walked on

Advertisement