Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has cataracts

• 18-01-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Currently have an 11 year old Collie cross and I think she is going partially blind. She also has diabetes (which we're treating her with insulin) and I'm aware with diabetes comes some sort of blindness.

Planning on bringing her to the vet tomorrow but I don't think there's much hope for her, anyone been in the same situation? She doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I had a spaniel of a similar age who developed cataracts and coped quite nicely within his own home and garden. On-lead walks with encouragement allowed him to enjoy another two years with us. Cataracts aren't the end of the world. They may even be operable at a cost you can afford, especially if your dog is insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi David, I have posted previously about cataracts. Our oldest girl had them and we got them removed. It was very very expensive. We had to get it done over two policy years. She had a few great months but then developed glucoma :( tbh I would leave your oldie as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

My 13 year old terrier has had diabetes for 3 years, has been deaf for 2 years and blind for 1 year. I always thought she would be distressed with the loss of sight but she has adjusted brilliantly. She walks the same route with me every day so knows where the obstacles/kerbs are, we are careful not to leave any stuff on the ground that she might bump into. I warn people who don't know her not to suddenly approach her, it gives her a fright. I call her by clapping my hands - she senses vibration. Her remaining senses have been heightened - boy does she love her food - I've relaxed her diet somewhat and it hasn't effected her diabetes too much. She loves to be petted and touched and to be very close to us. Her sense of smell is very powerful - that's how she recognises us.

She can't get up the stairs but she can get down the stairs, supervised (she sleeps in our room).

All in all she is a very happy dog and I wouldn't put her through any major medical procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

mags16 wrote: »
    My 13 year old terrier has had diabetes for 3 years, has been deaf for 2 years and blind for 1 year. I always thought she would be distressed with the loss of sight but she has adjusted brilliantly. She walks the same route with me every day so knows where the obstacles/kerbs are, we are careful not to leave any stuff on the ground that she might bump into. I warn people who don't know her not to suddenly approach her, it gives her a fright. I call her by clapping my hands - she senses vibration. Her remaining senses have been heightened - boy does she love her food - I've relaxed her diet somewhat and it hasn't effected her diabetes too much. She loves to be petted and touched and to be very close to us. Her sense of smell is very powerful - that's how she recognises us.

She can't get up the stairs but she can get down the stairs, supervised (she sleeps in our room).

All in all she is a very happy dog and I wouldn't put her through any major medical procedures.

Sounds just like my own dog! She's still full of life and happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

David086 wrote: »
    Sounds just like my own dog! She's still full of life and happy.

It's funny, I think Poppy is less stressed now she is blind. She had a tendency to be nervous - but now her world has reduced she is very relaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

We had a Tibetan terrier who lost her sight at 3 years old and lived until she was 18. Dogs being blind is not the end of the world. You will be surprised how quickly they adapt.

Just a few things in case she does happen to go blind (fingers crossed it wont come to that!). Try get your dog in a routine - walking at the same time, feeding around the same time. Position her food, her bed, and furniture around your house in the same place. My dog would walk into the coffee table if we moved it even an inch!! When walking we used to say "up" and "down" when going up and down kerbs just so she wouldn't trip. We used to talk to her before petting her so we wouldn't give her a fright.

For playing, instead of tug of war, try playing hide and seek games or games that she has to use her nose rather than sight.

Other than that its pretty much life as usual for them! She will live just as happy as any dog who can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

An operation to remove cataracts costs a fortune and in reality at her age isn't really a viable option. I would just concentrate on making sure she isn't in pain and has the best possible quality of life for as long as possible.
    Always remember with animals its quality of life, not quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Had a blind dog as well she will be fine just watch her on stairs they adapt in no time. I had him at a house that he was never in, 10 min and he could find his way around.

Advertisement