Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low sodium salt in yeast bread

• 18-01-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Does using low sodium salt (eg SAXA 'So Low') have any bad effects on yeast breads ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

No idea. The salt helps to form bridges between the gluten fibres so you get a stronger taller loaf. I know people who make yeast bread without salt but it never rises as much as it could. I don't know if the extra potasium in the losalt would upset the yeast, I'd say try it out. At most you end up with one loaf that needs to go in the bin and you still have a tub of losalt for putting on your mash.

My 2lb yeast breads only have a tsp of salt in them, so it's not much per slice. If your experiment fails, keep a little salt just for baking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Interested in the results of this experiment.
    Whenever I have tried to reduce salt in yeast bread, the loaf came out softer and puffier, less bread-like and more cake-ish. I find that salt not only hardens the dough but paces the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

It depends on the composition of the replacement but it might be worth investigating mixing salt and potassium chloride. http://bakerpedia.com/potassium-chloride/

Losalt seems to be able to be replaced directly http://www.losalt.com/uk/product/faqs/

It's a two thirds mix of potassium and sodium chlorides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭MunsterM

Tried the 'So-Low' in my usual (bread machine) recipe. The loaf came out just fine.

M

Advertisement