Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70-300mm lens for Nikon D3000

• 18-01-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I am not too familiar with SLR cameras but I am looking for a 70-300mm lens for my Nikon D3000 camera but I don't know where to begin.

What type of lens to I need? I think I need an AF lens, is that correct? And I seen somewhere that I need it to have VR, is that correct? Anything else?

In general they seem to be quite expensive, what does the below look like?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200841707991?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

AF-S

You need a lens that has its own focus motor, as the D3000 doesn't. VR is recommended too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I have the Sony A-mount version of this. It is a decent budget lens. A bit soft at 300mm, the tele-macro can give some decent results up to about 270mm. Good value for money and I have seen it reviewed in some photo mags as a good budget option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Remember that this lens will have limitations which you will reach quite easily. At 300mm the max aperture is f5.6, which is quite slow. It does not have VR which means on a cropped body you have an effective focal length of 450mm. Your minimum shutter speed that is usable hand held is 1/500th of a second. If the light is a bit dull you will have to ramp up the ISO quite a bit. I would recommend using a reasonably good tripod in association with this lens, which will put up the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

CabanSail wrote: »
    Remember that this lens will have limitations which you will reach quite easily. At 300mm the max aperture is f5.6, which is quite slow. It does not have VR which means on a cropped body you have an effective focal length of 450mm. Your minimum shutter speed that is usable hand held is 1/500th of a second. If the light is a bit dull you will have to ramp up the ISO quite a bit. I would recommend using a reasonably good tripod in association with this lens, which will put up the cost.

Thanks for that information. I am only getting into photography and i am planning to go travelling for a few months, so for someone just getting into this stuff and with a limited budget, do you think the lens i posted would be a decent starting point? I just couldnt afford a proper 70-300mm AF-S VR Nikon at the moment.

Cheers for the responses.

The Nikon 55-200 is about the same price and has VR. Not a bad lens, and a decent starter IMHO. I know it doesn't have the same zoom range, but 200mm on a crop sensor can get uncomfortably close, plus with VR assistance you'll probably have more 'keepers'.
    I sold mine for around €140 IIRC, so have a look on adverts.ie for one.

• Advertisement

The Nikon 55-200 is about the same price and has VR. Not a bad lens, and a decent starter IMHO. I know it doesn't have the same zoom range, but 200mm on a crop sensor can get uncomfortably close, plus with VR assistance you'll probably have more 'keepers'.
    I sold mine for around €140 IIRC, so have a look on adverts.ie for one.

I just had a look at that and that definitely looks like a good lens, pretty good price even brand new. There are used ones on sale at amazon for 100 sterling, i might look at purchasing that instead. Thanks for the tip!

Currys do refurbs/demos on eBay now and again with 6 months warranty.

Currys do refurbs/demos on eBay now and again with 6 months warranty.

Thanks, ill keep an eye out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Currys/PCWorld have the Sigma 70-300 Macro on sale for 129 Euro at the moment.

What is the sigma like?

Is this Nikon 70-300mm a decent one as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-6G-Nikkor-Camera/dp/B00005Y3OM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

The Sigma is OK so far but haven't pushed it yet.

I have it on a D5300 and as suggested already the effective zoom goes to 450 which will need a tripod if used at full zoom or even approaching full zoom.

It has metal contacts which is good,I don't know if the Tamrom has metal contact

I'm thinking your link above to the Nikon 70-300 doesn't have VR and it has the plastic mounts,it seems to suggest also it doesn't support your camera.

Durag wrote: »
    What is the sigma like?

Is this Nikon 70-300mm a decent one as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-6G-Nikkor-Camera/dp/B00005Y3OM

That's an older lens. No VR and, more importantly, no focus motor (AF, when you want AF-S).

Yes i just double checked it and you are correct it is an older model.

This is also 55-300mm, it has AF-S and VR, seems like a good price?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-AF-S-55-300-mm-F-4-5-5-6-VR-DX-G-ED-Lens-/161563870439?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item259df504e7

Thanks for all advise, getting some good ideas now.

Yep, that's the same as the 55-200 but longer (obviously). I suspect the bidding will go a fair bit higher on that though.

Cheers, i am thinking of going for the 55-200, seems to be a decent price with VR and AF-S. I see the Sigma has AF but i cant see if it has AF-S or not, same with VR.

Advertisement