Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Payments Refused online last couple of days

Options
  • 18-01-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

For the last couple of days I have been unable to use my Visa Debit card online.

I have money in the account, and I have used the card in both a Shop(Dunnes) and at an ATM.

Is there a problem with the card or the system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

satory wrote: »
    For the last couple of days I have been unable to use my Visa Debit card online.

I have money in the account, and I have used the card in both a Shop(Dunnes) and at an ATM.

Is there a problem with the card or the system?
    Hi satory,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties using the card online. If the card is working for both point of sale and ATM transactions this would indicate that there is no problem with the card itself.

Is it just one particular website that you cannot use the card with or are all online purchases being effected?
    If it is just one website, check that they accept visa debit as a payment method. If this is happening on more than one website please check the details that you are inputting to ensure that they match the information on your card.

If you continue to have difficulties making online purchases with the card, please call 0818 365 365 and one of our representatives will be able to guide you.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Hi Nicola,

The problem I am seeing is consistent for example on Google and PayPal my card number has existed with no payment issues for a while but at the moment the payment comes up declined.

On sites that have the extra visa login step I can get there but then my card is declined.

It's not my card details that are wrong as it expires 05 16 so I shouldn't need a new card but it just appears that that I'm blocked suddenly from making online payments.

Hi satory,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties using the card online. If the card is working for both point of sale and ATM transactions this would indicate that there is no problem with the card itself.

Is it just one particular website that you cannot use the card with or are all online purchases being effected?
    If it is just one website, check that they accept visa debit as a payment method. If this is happening on more than one website please check the details that you are inputting to ensure that they match the information on your card.

If you continue to have difficulties making online purchases with the card, please call 0818 365 365 and one of our representatives will be able to guide you.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

This has happened to me too... Just in the last two days all my online transactions have been declined. I buy online regularly, I never had any issues before. Now my Visa Debit purchases are not working on pigsback.com, moneybokers, PayPal and tonight I've just been informed by EasyTrip that my 'saved card' was declined(!) I've funds in my account, and I have not entered my verify password incorrectly. 

I called customer services - they can't see any restrictions, card works at ATMs and in Shops, it's just online transactions that are not working...  Very frustrating!  Thought it was just me, til I saw this thread!

Yeah I have just had another payment declined which has been using the same card details without changing them for the last 6 or so months.  This is getting really frustrating.

Maybe its a problem with Visa if its not with the bank?

Can someone from BoI check with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

This has happened to me too... Just in the last two days all my online transactions have been declined. I buy online regularly, I never had any issues before. Now my Visa Debit purchases are not working on pigsback.com, moneybokers, PayPal and tonight I've just been informed by EasyTrip that my 'saved card' was declined(!) I've funds in my account, and I have not entered my verify password incorrectly. 

I called customer services - they can't see any restrictions, card works at ATMs and in Shops, it's just online transactions that are not working...  Very frustrating!  Thought it was just me, til I saw this thread!
    Hi ElectraBlue,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards and sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having using the card online.

I can confirm that Visa debit cards are operating as normal, if your Verified by Visa account is not locked please can you contact us at the number below.

We can check the card and we will also check any recent authorisation requests and the results of these requests.
    We would need some more information to investigate this further, please call Bank of Ireland Direct at 0818 365 365 and a representative can take your details.

Thanks

Nicola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Yeah I have just had another payment declined which has been using the same card details without changing them for the last 6 or so months.  This is getting really frustrating.

Maybe its a problem with Visa if its not with the bank?

Can someone from BoI check with them?
    Hi satory,

Thanks for your reply. 

We would ask you in this case, to double check the card details again on the specific websites that you have entered. We can conform that Visa Debit cards are being accepted as normal online. 
    Please call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365, a representative can investigate this for you, and also reset your Verified by Visa password if necessary. 

Please let us know if you need help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

Hi ElectraBlue,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards and sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having using the card online.

I can confirm that Visa debit cards are operating as normal, if your Verified by Visa account is not locked please can you contact us at the number below.

We can check the card and we will also check any recent authorisation requests and the results of these requests.
    We would need some more information to investigate this further, please call Bank of Ireland Direct at 0818 365 365 and a representative can take your details.

Thanks

Nicola
    I can't call because I am deaf.

I went into my branch this morning; they checked and confirmed that a new card was "requested" last Monday and was posted out to me yesterday - I didn't request a new card, nor was my current card out of date (2017 expiry)...  and I will be charged for this (!)

Because of this: any transaction that requires a card number/CCV number will not work.  Only the Chip n Pin works til the new card is activated.  

I'm not happy with this at all. :( 

Hi ElectraBlue,

Thanks

Nicola
    I can't call because I am deaf.

I went into my branch this morning; they checked and confirmed that a new card was "requested" last Monday and was posted out to me yesterday - I didn't request a new card, nor was my current card out of date (2017 expiry)...  and I will be charged for this (!)

Because of this: any transaction that requires a card number/CCV number will not work.  Only the Chip n Pin works til the new card is activated.  

I'm not happy with this at all. :( 

Hi ElectraBlue,

Thanks for getting back to us.
    We understand that this is inconvenient for you. Your branch should be happy to explain to you the reason why your card needed to be re-issued. They can also look into whether you would be eligible for the replacement card fee to be waived in this case.
    Your new card should arrive for you shortly and if there is any other query we can help you with here, please let us know. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Same thing happened to me.

Rang up today was told a new card was sent out to me.  My current one lasts till 5/16?  WTF like???

Problem was that while my bank statements for my current account come to my current address, they sent my debit card to an old address.  I was told strictly on the phone that I would only be able to change this by going into to branch or writing the branch a letter.  Some how BoI consider a letter more secure then a phone call where you have to answer security questions first????  I was told there was no way to change my address online either, so I took time out of work this afternoon to head down to a branch and found out that there's no form to fill in, this is all done by a hidden menu on Banking 365 nowadays :(

So now I need to wait the 5 days for the address to change over, and then order a new card....

I would love an explanation about why they decided I needed a new card., and while your at it, why the guys on the phone don't know that I can change my address online!!!

I'm really considering quitting BoI and seeing what else is out there, ridiculous behavior I feel.

Same thing happened to me.

Rang up today was told a new card was sent out to me.  My current one lasts till 5/16?  WTF like???

Problem was that while my bank statements for my current account come to my current address, they sent my debit card to an old address.  I was told strictly on the phone that I would only be able to change this by going into to branch or writing the branch a letter.  Some how BoI consider a letter more secure then a phone call where you have to answer security questions first????  I was told there was no way to change my address online either, so I took time out of work this afternoon to head down to a branch and found out that there's no form to fill in, this is all done by a hidden menu on Banking 365 nowadays :(

So now I need to wait the 5 days for the address to change over, and then order a new card....

I would love an explanation about why they decided I needed a new card., and while your at it, why the guys on the phone don't know that I can change my address online!!!

I'm really considering quitting BoI and seeing what else is out there, ridiculous behavior I feel.
    Hi satory,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're really sorry you've had this experience and that you are unhappy with the service you have received. This is certainly not what we strive to provide our customers.

We'd like to help resolve this for you and arrange a call back from a colleague with account access. They can log your dissatisfaction and will be able to check your account and clarify why a new card was issued out to you.
    If you would like to send us a private message to provide us with your name, contact number and account holding branch (please don't include any account details), please do so by clicking the link in my signature below. We will then pass this on for one of our colleagues to contact you.
    Please make sure that you have signatures displaying on your Boards settings in order to click on the link in my signature. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement

Hi satory,

We have received your PM and have responded. Please check your inbox.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This happened to me today as well. Tried using my card multiple times during the day, and it kept getting refused, even though it wasn't locked and i had money in my account. I got home tonight to find a new card had been sent to me, with no prior notice, and my old card had been disabled. How can my card be disabled before i even have the new card, when I didn't even request a replacement?

This was really inconvenient for me today, as i tried to use it multiple times to buy stuff online. Would my old card have worked in shops or at ATM's, or was it completely disabled?

Still not got this sorted...

Talking to BoI Customer Service is like hitting your head against a brick wall repeatedly.

You tell them that your Debit Card doesn't work in online purchases only, and what do they do? the reply and say "I can see you have since made transactions using your card." Well done lads... Nope still having issues, but what do you care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Talking to BoI Customer Service is like hitting your head against a brick wall repeatedly.

You tell them that your Debit Card doesn't work in online purchases only, and what do they do?  the reply and say "I can see you have since made transactions using your card."  Well done lads...  Nope still having issues, but what do you care?
    Hi satory,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention we will investigate this and reply through PM.

Janette

You tell them that your Debit Card doesn't work in online purchases only, and what do they do?  the reply and say "I can see you have since made transactions using your card."  Well done lads...  Nope still having issues, but what do you care?
    Hi satory,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention we will investigate this and reply through PM.

Janette
    I look forward to it...

I assume it will be the half arsed reply I keep getting, but we'll see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Kiith wrote: »
    This happened to me today as well. Tried using my card multiple times during the day, and it kept getting refused, even though it wasn't locked and i had money in my account. I got home tonight to find a new card had been sent to me, with no prior notice, and my old card had been disabled. How can my card be disabled before i even have the new card, when I didn't even request a replacement?

This was really inconvenient for me today, as i tried to use it multiple times to buy stuff online. Would my old card have worked in shops or at ATM's, or was it completely disabled?
    Hi Kiith,

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you.

Can you please send a PM with your name, account holding branch and contact number?

We will ask for a colleague to look into this and contact you directly.

Thanks

Billy

To be fair lads im done...

I have already talked to you guys and given you bank details previously.  I have tried to deal with you guys via the online secure question bit on banking 365's website, and it seems every time, that non of my questions are answered, or acknowledged...

I'm amazed that a bank has such an appalling customer service department.  The more I try to engage with you the more I see that none of you can actually do anything.  I have seen my problem dismissed, ignored, etc and most of the time they just try to pass me off to someone...

Well done lads, you have a happy customer here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

To be fair lads im done...

I have already talked to you guys and given you bank details previously.  I have tried to deal with you guys via the online secure question bit on banking 365's website, and it seems every time, that non of my questions are answered, or acknowledged...

I'm amazed that a bank has such an appalling customer service department.  The more I try to engage with you the more I see that none of you can actually do anything.  I have seen my problem dismissed, ignored, etc and most of the time they just try to pass me off to someone...

Well done lads, you have a happy customer here
    Hi satory,

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. Just to clarify, the reps here on Boards.ie do not have access to customer's account details, this is the reason why we were arranging for the branch to contact you. Sincere apologies if this lead you to believe we were passing you off.

As mentioned in our private message, account specific queries cannot be handled through email. If you should change your mind and would like to provide us with your contact phone number, to facilitate a call, we will be more than happy to arrange this for you here.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement