Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny neglected dog found tonight

• 18-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I have found a beautiful frienldy little dog tonight she is very skinny thought. I don't know what breed she could be. Im not going to attempt to find the owners as they clearly aren't feeding her. I would love to keep her but cannot as I already have three dogs and live with my parents.

Anyone know what is the best way to go about getting this poor little mite to a good home?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Whereabouts are you, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

Whereabouts are you, OP?

In Dublin thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

She could have been straying for a while which is why she is skinny, I wouldn't rule out finding the owners just yet. Get her checked for a microchip.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

VonVix wrote: »
    She could have been straying for a while which is why she is skinny, I wouldn't rule out finding the owners just yet. Get her checked for a microchip.

I'll check her tomorrow. It's worrying as she is very skinny and would have to be straying for weeks to be this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

elen88 wrote: »
    I'll check her tomorrow. It's worrying as she is very skinny and would have to be straying for weeks to be this way.

It's super easy to assume a dog is neglected if you find them in that condition, but sometimes we forget what the circumstances could be. Say, for example this dog's owners are elderly, they don't have the internet, they don't have a network of people who could help them find their dog, they kind of just hope that their dog will turn up on their doorstep.

Any or all of the above could have happened, but I don't know the exact circumstances of you finding this dog, the type of location or if you had to physically catch them or not.

Just thought I'd say so though! :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Some medical conditions can make a dog lose weight, thyroid for example. If she's friendly and approachable I wouldn't rule out that she's from a loving home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Some medical conditions can make a dog lose weight, thyroid for example. If she's friendly and approachable I wouldn't rule out that she's from a loving home.

Well said, I once had a gsd with pancreatic insufficiency and in the early stages of getting him stabilised he was very very thin.

He got out the front door one day and was found about eight houses down, with the neighbours feeding the little horror endless amounts of hamburger (just the sort of thing he didnt need)

They went nuts at me about his being so thin, and it wasn't until I explained his illness to them and offered to have our vet verify it that they were happy to let him come home with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Hi,

I have found a beautiful frienldy little dog tonight she is very skinny thought. I don't know what breed she could be. Im not going to attempt to find the owners as they clearly aren't feeding her. I would love to keep her but cannot as I already have three dogs and live with my parents.

Anyone know what is the best way to go about getting this poor little mite to a good home?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

I have been told that my dogs are very skinny and I should feed them up more, my guys are fed the best of food but are very slim as they do agility and basically never sit still.

What I am trying to say is to please don't assume a skinny dog is neglected. I'm sure if you met my competing girl you would think she is underfed but she just burns it off fast, she is utterly adored and is very spoilt.

Please look for her owners there could well be a family/person out there devastated as a member of their family is missing. If they don't care you will probably not be able to find them and then you can think about trying to rehome - after contacting the warden of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 to all of the above.
    It's dangerous indeed to jump to conclusions.
    It is also really risky to rehome a dog that you have found, and not first gone through the proper channels.
    If you report him as found and rehome the dog OP, the rightful owners still have 366 days to claim their dog back. It has happened quite a few times before where a well-meaning rescuer has rehomed a dog, the owners showed up some time later, and the poor innocent home to which the dog had been rehomed had to give the dog back.
    The dog is not yours to rehome, yet.
    And any new owners cannot call him their own for 366 days, as long as you report having found him.
    If you don't report finding him at all, there's an argument that the rightful owners have the right to claim him back at any stage in his entire lifetime.

Advertisement