Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dell XPS 13

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Is there anywhere that you can try out dell laptops? Really interested in the XPS 13 but would really want to have a feel off it before buying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Are there ever any offers on this? Looks like just what I am looking for but ever so slightly over max budget

I know, I'm in the same position. My ideal budget for a new 13" laptop is around €800 but there looks to be nothing reasonable left at this price range nowadays. The horrendous Euro to Pound exchange rate isn't helping either obviously.

I'd be looking for the i5/8gb/256Gb SSD version and at €1,199, its just slightly too much to stomach, If there was a 10% off code, I'd probably go for it. Maybe we'll see a few more deals once Windows 10 is generally released in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Is there anywhere that you can try out dell laptops? Really interested in the XPS 13 but would really want to have a feel off it before buying!

Not that I've ever seen. By right they should have a display room somewhere at least.

I'm really trying to decide between this and the macbook pro retina. My head is telling me to go for the macbook but I know well that I genuinely prefer windows as an OS (That doesn't automatically rule out the macbook seeing as it can run windows obviously). I'm a bit concerned about a couple of thing s with the xps 13 though and I'd really appreciate the feedback of some one who's actually bought one

I'm not sure about the trackpad and it seems come up in some reviews, like this one; http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/13/8030821/dell-xps-13-laptop-ultrabook-review
    Two-finger scrolling is very unpredictable: sometimes it will work just fine, other times it won't respond, no matter what I do. The cursor will also jump across the screen at random times while I’m typing, and it’s far too easy to activate clicks while my fingers are on the keys. It’s 2015; I shouldn’t have to plug an external mouse into laptops anymore, but that’s exactly what I did with the XPS 13 after a few frustrating hours with the trackpad.

The above there is pretty concerning tbh as I actually bought a lesser Dell laptop last xmas but had to return it with the only reason being that the trackpad was utter rubbish and its something I need to be good. The issues I came across with that trackpad were effectively the exact same as what the verge reviewer says he found wrong with the xps 13's. The trackpad in the laptop I returned to Dell was the worst I've ever come across on a laptop. I simply can't believe this would be a problem on a €1000+ laptop.

The other thing I;d be a bit concerned about is longevity. Will one of these last four or five years of heavy usage. Some reviews say it is quite delicate.

If some one who's actually bought the Dell could give their opinion on these, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes I can confirm the trackpad is absolutely rubbish...I also find it putting in lots of double spaces when I type. Two finger scrolling is awful...my work Lenovo's trackpad is a dream to use in comparison. The trackpad on my 8yo Dell Inspiron 6400, while it doesn't have multi-finger gestures, is even far superior...I'm just hoping a firmware/software update fixes it. I also don't like the lack of a definition between the left and right mouse click buttons...it makes it very difficult to know which button you are actually clicking.
    In relation to longevity...I haven't had mine very long so can't really comment but it feels very well built.

Thanks for the blunt assessment, really after putting me off this laptop if I'm honest between that and the reviews. funny that you mention a lenovo laptop actually as after I returned the previous Dell six months ago, I was in a PC World one day and happened to come across a Yoga 2 13.3" and thought the trackpad was great. It really shouldn't be such a big deal in 2015 for manufacturers but extremely frustrating to think that the trackpad on these very expensive top tier laptops isn't as good as the trackpad on the 5 year old Samsung Q330 that I'm currently typing this on.

Its whats sending me toward the Macbook Pro to be honest. With that you're safe in the knowledge that no one element of the thing will be rubbish versus the competition.

The one other laptop I might look at before going with the laptop is the HP Spectre x360 which I think they stock in PC World. That, amazingly has its own trackpad issues also, with it being oversized to such an extent that its actually a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Zonda999 wrote: »

The one other laptop I might look at before going with the laptop is the HP Spectre x360 which I think they stock in PC World. That, amazingly has its own trackpad issues also, with it being oversized to such an extent that its actually a hindrance.

I've pretty much decided to go for the HP Spectre x360 (see separate thread - please contribute if I'm missing something).

If you do go for the x360 it's worth noting that the version in PC World is the i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Until recently Harvey Norman were doing the i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, for a hundred quid extra but they're sold out nationwide and it's no longer on their website. I called them during the week the week and they said they expect to have it back in with the same specs at the same price on the 13th of August. I think the HN deal is much better value. [/end thread hijack]

Haven't checked this out but good discount if it works

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057469342

Would bring the base i5 / 8gb / 256gb version down to €1020 incl shipping

Note, theres another model with a slight updated version with a i5-5300U chip as opposed to the base i5-5200U on the right hand side of the above page, going for €1,279, ships with Windows 8.1 as opposed to 10 though, oddly enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Haven't checked this out but good discount if it works

Would bring the base i5 / 8gb / 256gb .. . . down to €1020 incl shipping

I checked it out and it seems to work, I must say I'm very tempted but I just don't know if a 13.3 inch screen is too small. I'm gonna have to make a decision by today really as the dicsouunt expires tomorrow. Ah first world problems eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Looks like a fantastic laptop.

any Dell codes going around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi techmaster. Just seeing your message. It's a great laptop however the fan noise is annoying. They've apparently fixed it in newer builds.

I am seeing another more worrying issue with the laptop slowing down. From my own troubleshooting it appears to be related to the hard disk. It's an OEM samsung PM851. Very similar to the EVO 840 and exactly the same slow down issue that plagued the EVO. Samsung released a fix for the EVO but neither Dell nor Samsung released a fix for the PM851.

If you google the PM851 you'll find threads with people complaining about the issue. FYI the drive is used by a few manufactures. Not just Dell

Had just about settled on buying the XPS, checked the website and lowest price is now €1600+!! Seems i7, 256 SSD touchscreen is the basic model showing now, is this just a website issue or are they serious?

Is that with the latest 6th gen intel? Only just announced the update so didn't think they would have trickled down that quickly to replace the 5th gens already.

Cannot check dell website just at the minute.

Is that with the latest 6th gen intel? Only just announced the update so didn't think they would have trickled down that quickly to replace the 5th gens already.

Cannot check dell website just at the minute.

Just double checked, definitely 5th gen

Strange. US still has it starting at 799 USD. Might be a shortage of parts for EU market?

• Advertisement

So the price online has gone back down to a normal level again, and they're now shipping the 6th gen processors, stuck between this and waiting for the new surface book, which looks interesting.

People who bought the Xps, how are ye finding it? Would you recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

It's got a USB-C port now too after the refresh, and you can get 16GB ram, still soldered on though and only in the most expensive model.

Seriously considering the €1,500 model, I don't need it but I want it. My current laptop is a dell xps I got in 2010 and it's still going strong after a few upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

So the price online has gone back down to a normal level again, and they're now shipping the 6th gen processors, stuck between this and waiting for the new surface book, which looks interesting.

People who bought the Xps, how are ye finding it? Would you recommend it?

I bought the i5 256gb non-touch model in August and honestly I can't fault it at all. The battery is fantastic, the screen looks great and the laptop handles any program I've tried with ease. This is my first 'premium' laptop so maybe I'm just easily impressed but I'd defiantly recommend the laptop!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm now thinking of maybe going for the thinkpad x250 instead, same configuration. This is the most money by a long shot I've ever spent on a laptop so I'm a bit back and forth about it!

For anyone that's considering the XPS 13 but was put off by my previous negative reviews, the latest model seems to have addressed most of the issues. I got an XPS 13 9343, i5-5200U(Broadwell) with FHD screen back in April but had it replaced a few days ago with the updated model (9350) with i5-6200U(Skylake)
    The keyboard on the old model was awful, as the key travel was too shallow, resulting in unwanted keys sometimes being pressed. The keyboard on the new one is much better. Same story with the trackpad, the new model is a lot more precise. The new model is 45grams heavier but it's barely perceptible (1200g versus 1245g)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

how about backlight bleed on the new model??

Techmaster wrote: »
    how about backlight bleed on the new model??
    Can't say it's something I've noticed

So my new xps is due to arrive tomorrow (woohoo) Has anyone bought a case/sleeve for theirs? I have a thinkpad laptop bag but my laptop will be in my handbag/locker/being carried around a lot so I'd like to have something that can be on it pretty much all the time. I have a snugg sleeve for my surface which I quite like but they don't seem to make these for the xps. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So my new xps is due to arrive tomorrow (woohoo) Has anyone bought a case/sleeve for theirs? I have a thinkpad laptop bag but my laptop will be in my handbag/locker/being carried around a lot so I'd like to have something that can be on it pretty much all the time. I have a snugg sleeve for my surface which I quite like but they don't seem to make these for the xps. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have one of these and it fits perfectly...you can also charge it while it's in the sleeve.

fletch wrote: »
    I have one of these and it fits perfectly...you can also charge it while it's in the sleeve.

Thanks fletch, I really should have bought one of these when ordering the laptop... I assume as with buying laptops from Dell the only place to buy is from their online store? I don't really want to wait another 2 weeks for delivery, but I guess that's my own fault for not buying at the same time as the laptop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi all, I bought my xps in US and the power adapter has a little US 2 pin connection at the end, I have been using a 2 pin to 3 pin converter since I bought out, but does anyone know where I can buy a proper, neat Irish Dell end for the adapter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi all, I bought my xps in US and the power adapter has a little US 2 pin connection at the end, I have been using a 2 pin to 3 pin converter since I bought out, but does anyone know where I can buy a proper, neat Irish Dell end for the adapter ?

Can you send on the link from the site mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

tw0nk wrote: »

Can you send on the link from the site mate? (The site you ordered from).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kavanaa1

I'm looking at buying an XPS 13 - my Aunt is home from the US in the summer - wonder is it worthwhile getting one shipped to her from the DELL US website, and asking her to take it home to me? Might be worth it considering the price difference between Ireland and US for same models. But taking Customs Duty, Tax and other factors into account (i.e. different keyboard, power cable etc.) might not be worth effort. Anyone else experience of same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kavanaa1 wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying an XPS 13 - my Aunt is home from the US in the summer - wonder is it worthwhile getting one shipped to her from the DELL US website, and asking her to take it home to me? Might be worth it considering the price difference between Ireland and US for same models. But taking Customs Duty, Tax and other factors into account (i.e. different keyboard, power cable etc.) might not be worth effort. Anyone else experience of same?

I mean, you could just buy a UK/IRL charger from Dell here. And if you Aunt just removes it from the box and puts it in a laptop bag I can't see much issue from customs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement