Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet Vs Safe cycling

• 18-01-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I injured my knee in April. Long story short is I had no aerobic activity of any sort for almost 6 months and put on 7kg's hitting 101kg which for a 46 year old who is just over 6 foot tall is about 15kg overweight so I've been on phase one of the Harcombe Diet for the last two weeks and have lost 7kg. It's a no carb, no caffine, no alcohol and no sugar diet. I basically eat bacon and eggs with salad for breakfast, a tuna salad for lunch and meat/chicken/fish with veg for dinner. I can eat as much as I want but prior to my 40km hilly spin around Enniskerry today I didn't realise the importance of having some stored carbs :eek:

I felt as weak as a mouse the whole way and never got going. Everything was a slog and I was ready to lie down and sleep by the time I got home.

Having now eaten (2 steaks, + steamed veg and a fresh spicy tomato and coriander salsa washed down with 2 litres of water) I feel much better. the legs are like jelly but other than that I'm tired but fine.

I just checked out fatigue on a bike and found this article about "The Bonk" - https://www.ride25.com/cycling-blog/bonking-birds-bees.

Now I'm not saying I had a bad case of the Bonk or even experienced The Bonk but now that I know what can happen if you don't have carbs on board when heading out for a spin I'm wondering what are the "best" carbs people take on board to prepare for a spin and how much do you need to take on? In order to stick with the diet as much as possible whilst still being able to get out for a safe spin I'd rather take on just enough carbs to fuel a 2-3 hour spin via natural sources such as a banana if possible rather than a plate of white pasta.

Any tips/suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Having gone for a hilly cycle once before breakfast and nearly passing out, i'd agree its better to have something. Oatmeal is always a good one. Slow release complex carbs are what you'd be looking for. A banana is a good option mid ride.
    Are you eating no carbs at all? That cannot be good for your health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Bananas for me,pretty much instant energy from them,feels like a power nap.

I take jellies like haribo or whatever else the petrol station has, with me on the MTB,and pick at them slowly rather than a banana,but I have a backpack with me then and not just a jersey so there is room for that kind of thing. You can get these things called "gels" from a bike shop,they are a little sachet of strong tasting stuff that give you a quick kick of energy,Personally I think they taste like chemicals so I stay away,but they do work

Not a lot of energy to be gotten from meats and that,good for after exercise but not great before it,fruits and other sweet things are the way to go. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you the science,because i'm just telling you what works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I injured my knee in April. Long story short is I had no aerobic activity of any sort for almost 6 months and put on 7kg's hitting 101kg which for a 46 year old who is just over 6 foot tall is about 15kg overweight so I've been on phase one of the Harcombe Diet for the last two weeks and have lost 7kg. It's a no carb, no caffine, no alcohol and no sugar diet. I basically eat bacon and eggs with salad for breakfast, a tuna salad for lunch and meat/chicken/fish with veg for dinner. I can eat as much as I want but prior to my 40km hilly spin around Enniskerry today I didn't realise the importance of having some stored carbs :eek:

I felt as weak as a mouse the whole way and never got going. Everything was a slog and I was ready to lie down and sleep by the time I got home.

Having now eaten (2 steaks, + steamed veg and a fresh spicy tomato and coriander salsa washed down with 2 litres of water) I feel much better. the legs are like jelly but other than that I'm tired but fine.

I just checked out fatigue on a bike and found this article about "The Bonk" - https://www.ride25.com/cycling-blog/bonking-birds-bees.

Now I'm not saying I had a bad case of the Bonk or even experienced The Bonk but now that I know what can happen if you don't have carbs on board when heading out for a spin I'm wondering what are the "best" carbs people take on board to prepare for a spin and how much do you need to take on? In order to stick with the diet as much as possible whilst still being able to get out for a safe spin I'd rather take on just enough carbs to fuel a 2-3 hour spin via natural sources such as a banana if possible rather than a plate of white pasta.

Any tips/suggestions?

It takes the body some time to adjust to call on stored fats rather than more accessible sugars and fats. Be careful not to upset this adjustment too soon by 'feeding' it with carbs, especially sugars. Some carb supplement is necessary for moderate efforts over 90 min., but avoid gels etc like the plague.
    Consider keeping your spins under 2 hrs, ride easy, stick to your low carb diet and give the body time to adapt. (When well adjusted some ultra athletes can do huge performances on stored fat as opposed to carb fuelling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Porridge with soy milk, scrambled eggs on toast and black coffee. You shouldn't need to bring anything after that breakfast for 3 hours plus, but a banana would be good just in case.

Carbs are neccessary for cardio work especially at this time of year. High fat low carb diets like you mentioned will take a while to adapt to, and IMO its not worth it if you cycle regularly, unless you need to avoid sugar for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

fits wrote: »
    Having gone for a hilly cycle once before breakfast and nearly passing out, i'd agree its better to have something. Oatmeal is always a good one. Slow release complex carbs are what you'd be looking for. A banana is a good option mid ride.
    Are you eating no carbs at all? That cannot be good for your health.

Phase one of The Harcombe Diet (quick summary here http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet) is about hitting the detox reset button and rapid weight loss for between 5 days and a few weeks depending on your circumstances and your target weight loss so there are absolutely no carbs in phase one and I'm currently in phase one but will be moving to phase two Monday week which re-introduces limited amounts of carbs and dairy including cheese etc. the idea of phase two is to monitor the re-introduction of things in a structured manner to see if some food elements have a disproportionate effect on weight e.g. bread might lead to a lot of bloating and weight gain so you learn what to limit.

There will be carbs in phase two so hopefully I'll plan my carbs to be pre physical activity.

Phase 3 then is about living normally within the guidlines of the diet so no mixing carbs and protein, if you want carbs have a meal of carbs with veg/salad/tomato sauce etc but no meat and similarly if you want a big feck off steak knock yourself out but don't eat any carbs with the meal. Basically keep carbs and protein separated, cut down the alcohol, stay away from added sugar and don't eat processed food if at all possible.

Porridge next weekend before my spins and bring a banana sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Your 6 months scratching might have more to do with your energy levels than your diet.

Depending on terrain, speed, weight etc you didn't burn anymore than 1000 cals, probably not much with 800 cals.

Your 15kgs of excess fat is 120,000 calories or so, but it can take time, as HiHo says, to adapt your body to do that. Even for an average athlete 100km before breakfast isn't difficult with adaptation.

In practice have a coffee, hop on bike without breakfast, plan a shortish ride and throw two bannans into jersey in case of bonk but try get home without it.

BTW one or two ponds a week is probably more sustainable in the long run; a lot of early weight loss on low carb is fluid. Whatever diet says keep fibre high, veg and fruit, and add a little salt if eating mainly whole foods

Thanks lads, some great advice.

Off to bed for a well earned sleep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ford2600 wrote: »
    Your 6 months scratching might have more to do with your energy levels than your diet.

Yeah, 6 months of no exercise and surely the muscles won't be nearly as strong as they used to be. Would more cycling to build back the muscles not be a good solution?

....Carbs are neccessary for cardio work especially at this time of year....

This, stated this simplistically, is just not the case - maybe try to get some expert advice give the diet oath you have chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Hi Ho wrote: »
    This, stated this simplistically, is just not the case - maybe try to get some expert advice give the diet oath you have chosen.

I was referring to complex carbs such as oats, and that cycling this time of year requires more calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Phase one of The Harcombe Diet (quick summary here http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet) is about hitting the detox reset button and rapid weight loss for between 5 days and a few weeks depending on your circumstances and your target weight loss so there are absolutely no carbs in phase one and I'm currently in phase one but will be moving to phase two Monday week which re-introduces limited amounts of carbs and dairy including cheese etc. the idea of phase two is to monitor the re-introduction of things in a structured manner to see if some food elements have a disproportionate effect on weight e.g. bread might lead to a lot of bloating and weight gain so you learn what to limit.

There will be carbs in phase two so hopefully I'll plan my carbs to be pre physical activity.

Phase 3 then is about living normally within the guidlines of the diet so no mixing carbs and protein, if you want carbs have a meal of carbs with veg/salad/tomato sauce etc but no meat and similarly if you want a big feck off steak knock yourself out but don't eat any carbs with the meal. Basically keep carbs and protein separated, cut down the alcohol, stay away from added sugar and don't eat processed food if at all possible.

Porridge next weekend before my spins and bring a banana sounds like a plan.

Thanks.
    Has the lady who wrote this Harcombe Diet book any qualifications in nutrition or food science??... Its Madness following diets that are written by unqualified people, also its a weight loss diet whereas nutrition for sport or cycling should be supporting the workloads and recovery required..

The Harcombe Diet is a diet which set out to answer the age long conundrum of why we have such an obesity problem in the UK, when all everybody wants is to be slim.

Written by a lady who struggled for years with unworkable diets and food cravings (sound familiar?),

Read more at http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet#6LuKkBthp7hoaUQr.99

Slydice wrote: »
    Yeah, 6 months of no exercise and surely the muscles won't be nearly as strong as they used to be. Would more cycling to build back the muscles not be a good solution?

I started back exercising in October doing a combination of gym (elliptical trainer and specific weights to build up my left leg) plus weekend spins on the bike and all that was fine. It was just yesterday which was the fist spin I went for after starting the Harcombe Diet almost two weeks earlier that knackered me and I realise now the reason is because with no carb intake for 12 days I couldn't produce the normal levels of energy to get through.

BTW, this is what breakfast looks like on this diet - pretty nice and filling actually ;)

140m5uv.jpg

OP 7kgs in two weeks is probably mainly fluid rather than 7kgs of fat.

Harcombe sounds like a repackaged Atkins diet; rather than reinventing the wheel have a read of where people fall down on such diets. Two pretty decent sites which might be helpful

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

http://sigmanutrition.com/

You might never have a lot of energy on your diet ot you might adapt well; it doesn't suit a lot of people. If it does suit you it'll take you time to adapt. Either way I wouldn't be sticking rigidly to some diet if I didn't feel well on it or felt listless.

Bacon and eggs is fine but you'd probably do better with way more veg on that plate and less bacon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Op, the thread isn't about the diet but just be careful with it, as Ford2600 said it sounds like Atkins, I did Atkins for the guts of 18 months, rapid weight loss for a while, was great, but zero energy with no carbs, I suffered every time I played football and in the end I ended up putting on a lot of the weight again.
    The only thing I found good was just watching what I ate then, all in moderation of course, sugar been cut out alone for you could cut your weight over a few months and good cross training and the bike of course.
    No point in dieting if you can't exercise right and you need to carb up probably the day before and the morning of a long cycle, the breakfast you have there won't give you the energy you need and could cause more damage than help.
    You've made a great start with that loss but just be careful with it.

Gluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

There are a great series of videos by sky cycling team on their website about diet - lots of sound advice

youtube.com/watch?v=c2c6CH5nJ_4

Personally I think if a diet has a "name" then its wrong (adkins, paleo, south beach), any diet with the words always, never, none or only in it shouldn't be trusted.

yop wrote: »
    Op, the thread isn't about the diet but just be careful with it, as Ford2600 said it sounds like Atkins, I did Atkins for the guts of 18 months, rapid weight loss for a while, was great, but zero energy with no carbs, I suffered every time I played football and in the end I ended up putting on a lot of the weight again.
    The only thing I found good was just watching what I ate then, all in moderation of course, sugar been cut out alone for you could cut your weight over a few months and good cross training and the bike of course.
    No point in dieting if you can't exercise right and you need to carb up probably the day before and the morning of a long cycle, the breakfast you have there won't give you the energy you need and could cause more damage than help.
    You've made a great start with that loss but just be careful with it.

Gluck

Thanks Yop, appreciate the advice.

I suppose the big thing that attracted me to the Harcombe Diet rather than anything else is once you have done the reset/detox phase (which I'm currently on) there is no calorie counting, you can eat as much as you want and carbs are fine once you don't mix them in the same meal with protein.

The rest of the diet is really about good quality eating, cutting out processed food, ditching sugar and keeping alcohol under control. If you have a blow out e.g. on holidays you simply do the detox phase again for a few days and hop back to controlled eating.

I'm planning a 60km spin with about 900m climbs next Saturday so I'll definitely take on carbs Friday and Sat morning + a banana in the pocket.

ford2600 wrote: »
    OP 7kgs in two weeks is probably mainly fluid rather than 7kgs of fat.

Harcombe sounds like a repackaged Atkins diet; rather than reinventing the wheel have a read of where people fall down on such diets. Two pretty decent sites which might be helpful

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Hi Ford,

Thanks for the info.

The Simple Science Fitness site correlates quite a bit with the fundamentals of the Harcombe Diet actually which is encouraging e.g the food pyramid is very similar to what is recommended for the Harcombe Diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

TBH OP I'd be running from that diet at the detox part, but then that's just me.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

coppinger wrote: »
    There are a great series of videos by sky cycling team on their website about diet - lots of sound advice

youtube.com/watch?v=c2c6CH5nJ_4

Personally I think if a diet has a "name" then its wrong (adkins, paleo, south beach), any diet with the words always, never, none or only in it shouldn't be trusted.

Thanks for the video, it's the nicest looking porridge ever!!

In fairness to the Harcombe Diet (Jaysus I'm beginning to sound like a disciple of it or salesman for it!!) it doesn't use the terms "always", "never" or "none" etc but it does encourage a sustainable way to eat which is healthy and less likely to result in the early weight gains being lost e.g. I'm off sugar in tea/coffee etc and I won't go back. I'm off beer and miss it a lot so I will be having some craft beers at the weekend but I'll limit it to two good quality ones and if I want a few more drinks I'll have whiskey and soda.

Lashing into the odd breakfast bap isn't a good idea but I'll still have bacon and eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes. Small sustainable adjustments is the goal.

If you want to make small sustainable adjustments, why cut out a whole important food group though? It really is very easy to cut back on sugar, refined carbs and alcohol without completely going without. and the slow steady weight loss is more sustainable in long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Thanks for the video, it's the nicest looking porridge ever!!

In fairness to the Harcombe Diet (Jaysus I'm beginning to sound like a disciple of it or salesman for it!!) it doesn't use the terms "always", "never" or "none" etc but it does encourage a sustainable way to eat which is healthy and less likely to result in the early weight gains being lost e.g. I'm off sugar in tea/coffee etc and I won't go back. I'm off beer and miss it a lot so I will be having some craft beers at the weekend but I'll limit it to two good quality ones and if I want a few more drinks I'll have whiskey and soda.

Lashing into the odd breakfast bap isn't a good idea but I'll still have bacon and eggs with mushrooms and tomatoes. Small sustainable adjustments is the goal.

Just put the plan into two buckets - a weight loss phase and a weight sustaining phase. Whatever the mode you use to lose weight that works for you is the way to go. It may involve reducing a particular food group or reducing the total amount in calories by eating half portions for a few months but it will almost certainly be because you ate less calories than you used on a consistent, day to day, week to week basis. When you are at a weight you are happy with, reassess and balance as needed to sustain and the cycling will help you sustain the weight loss.

As someone earlier said then you can eat to support your activity, either to become more of a fat burning machine through fasting or just relying on ingested carbs when exercising.

The mathematics of calories is not difficult, 4 calories per gram for carbs and proteins, 9 calories per gram for fats. Carbs are used more readily for energy as they are closest in chemical composition to the stuff your body uses in generating energy so if you work out hard and fast this is the way to go but if it is a light to mid-range work out you can probably get away with your stores of fat and protein. To the extent you believe the estimations sports tracking apps make about your calories on a workout you can average a few workouts and figure out how much energy you need to replenish.

If you want to make small sustainable adjustments, why cut out a whole important food group though? It really is very easy to cut back on sugar, refined carbs and alcohol without completely going without. and the slow steady weight loss is more sustainable in long term.

The initial detox period lasts between 5 days and 3 weeks. It really hits the reset button on everything and you then re-introduce carbs. There is an initial rapid weight loss but then a long term slow weight loss as the diet you build up is healthier then what you had prior to the detox. Carbs are only cut out temporarily during the detox phase. After that you can eat carbs no problem.

The initial detox period lasts between 5 days and 3 weeks. It really hits the reset button on everything and you then re-introduce carbs. There is an initial rapid weight loss but then a long term slow weight loss as the diet you build up is healthier then what you had prior to the detox. Carbs are only cut out temporarily during the detox phase. After that you can eat carbs no problem.

I am afraid I think thats all a load of old bull. Simple good diet advice doesnt generate revenue though. But if it works for you...

I am afraid I think thats all a load of old bull. Simple good diet advice doesnt generate revenue though. But if it works for you...

Read rule 2 of your signature :)

What attracts me to this diet is the ability to focus on a significant weight loss and then hold that weight by eating better or even continue to lose weight slowly over a longer period as a result of having a better diet and exercise balance. I need to lose 15kg. I lost 7kg since Jan 5th and I hope to lose another 3kg by the end of this week. If I get to 90kg I'll stop the detox and start re-introducing carbs etc but in a more responsible manner with a view to losing the final 5kg over a longer sustainable period.

Well i can understand the appeal of structure and a regime at least. Good luck with it and mind the bonking.

Well i can understand the appeal of structure and a regime at least.
    Unfortunately I'm one of those people who needs discipline and structure. Left to my own devices I'll have sausage and egg sandwiches for breakfast, oh what I'd give for a sausage and egg sambo on white bread with English mustard, ketchup and mustard washed down with a cup of sweet tea :o
    Good luck with it and mind the bonking.
    I like a bit of bonking from time to time and it burns a few calories ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I lost 7kg since Jan 5th and I hope to lose another 3kg by the end of this week.

I'm open to correction, but based on my (limited) knowledge, the only way to loose that much weight in such a short space of time in a sustained way involves amputation.

10 kilos in 3 weeks is simply too much.

Sorry if this is sounding very negative, it's just that loosing weight has fairly simple science behind it - the problem for many (including me!) is the implementation of the science.

Not doubting your numbers - but it's probably not fat you're getting rid of ...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Reminded of Dara O'Briain quote:
    "Dietician is like dentist, nutritionist is like toothiologist"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You're talking about losing a pound a day as a realistic target. That's not sustainable weight loss, it's dangerous malnutrition masquerading as a diet. The problem is not your lack of energy, it's the fact that you're following a horrific diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

What is being reset and detoxed and how does that work?

jinkypolly wrote: »

Your liver, kidneys and lungs do the detoxing February to December for the most part.

January is for the snakeoil merchants. Complete nonsense but it sells well after Christmas indulgence/guilt sets in

jinkypolly wrote: »

Your eating habits are being reset and not consuming caffeine, alcohol, sugar or wheat gives you a detox effect.

I'm on phase one for 2.5 weeks and gone from 101.2kg to 92.9kg without much fuss. I'm enjoying what I eat and I'm eating as much as I want.

Ford2600 seems to think it's snakeoil nonsense but I've lost 8.3kg, given up sugar (for good as I'm no longer missing it at all), eating more veg and salads and I'm actually enjoying the change in food consumption and I'm sleeping really soundly.

I do miss having a few beers and I miss bread but once I hit my target I'll be able to re-introduce a few treats in a more controlled manner and I'll also be back eating carbs etc.

What this diet does for me is provide a structured framework I can live within. If that's nonsense then fair enough.

Your eating habits are being reset and not consuming caffeine, alcohol, sugar or wheat gives you a detox effect.

I'm on phase one for 2.5 weeks and gone from 101.2kg to 92.9kg without much fuss. I'm enjoying what I eat and I'm eating as much as I want.

Ford2600 seems to think it's snakeoil nonsense but I've lost 8.3kg, given up sugar (for good as I'm no longer missing it at all), eating more veg and salads and I'm actually enjoying the change in food consumption and I'm sleeping really soundly.

I do miss having a few beers and I miss bread but once I hit my target I'll be able to re-introduce a few treats in a more controlled manner and I'll also be back eating carbs etc.

What this diet does for me is provide a structured framework I can live within. If that's nonsense then fair enough.

There is no such thing as a detox effect. It's utterly fictional. The diet you're following is producing wildly unsustainable and quite possibly medically dangerous weight loss. Medical professionals recommend shooting for weight loss of a pound a week and you're doing more than that in a day: that's not sensible or healthy weight loss by any metric.

And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that weight will not stay off. Before long you'll be back to your original weight, if not heavier. The diet you're following will not produce sustainable weight loss.

Detoxing/reseting is marketing nonsense. It is an easy sell, throw in some wish washy "superfood" nonsense and off you go.

I've no doubt you've lost 8.3kgs in 2.5 weeks; most overweight people who switch to low carb will do that. It's mainly fluid loss, carbs need more fluid than protein or fat.

It's fat you want to lose? 8.3kgs of fat is circa 64,000 cals or so. Do you think you've lost that, it's 3,500 calorie deficit a day btw(about what you'd burn on a 175km cycle)

Low carb may suit you, but educate yourself on how your body works, pitfalls of any diet choices etc or else you may get in trouble. Atkins etc has been around a long time, learn the hard way if you want but there is plenty good information out there.

I've never seen quick fixes work with diet. Educate yourself see what works for you, see how you feel rather than blindly following some "diet plan" and all the best.

After 18 months eating low carb(I didn't have weight to lose) my main guidline is just getting more plants into my diet. Typically my plate is 75% veg, with the protein/fat taking up a small section of plate but most of the calories.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Phase one of The Harcombe Diet (quick summary here http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet) is about hitting the detox reset button ......

That's your first problem - you cannot 'detox' your body.

www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/debunking-detox.html

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a detox effect. It's utterly fictional. The diet you're following is producing wildly unsustainable and quite possibly medically dangerous weight loss. Medical professionals recommend shooting for weight loss of a pound a week and you're doing more than that in a day: that's not sensible or healthy weight loss by any metric.

And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that weight will not stay off. Before long you'll be back to your original weight, if not heavier. The diet you're following will not produce sustainable weight loss.

I see a bet coming on :D

Lot's of people would disagree with you BTW, see http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet

I chose this diet (not as an after Xmas guilt thing but last October BTW) on the recommendation of a 55 year old friend who is very fit and healthy and has been living by it for years. Yes the first phase is a bit dramatic but as you adjust to a sustainable day to day diet you maintain and in some cases continue to lose marginal amounts of weigh if you wish.

I guess my crystal ball isn't as effective as yours, I'll just have to wait and see what happens but I'll stay positive and try not to be knocked off course by the naysayers.

If you think you can you can and if you think you can't you can't. ;)

It sounds like I'm about the same age as the OP (give or take a year).

I spent most of last year off the bike because of injury and illness (nothing major, just enough to stop me from going more than about 20km without spending time in agony afterwards).

Since before Christmas I've been steadily building back up and since the start of the year I've dumped 4.8 kg (as of this morning).

It didn't take faddy diets - just common sense.......porridge with dried fruit for brekkie, make my own lunches (so I know what's in them precisely), cut out most red meat and replaced it with some chicken and lots of fish, plenty of fruit and veg.......kept the Friday night 'takeaway' but now have sushi instead of a Chinese and have Sunday brunch as a treat.

Aside from building back up saddle time, I've been doing a lot of swimming, and long stints on the cross-trainer.

I see a bet coming on :D

Lot's of people would disagree with you BTW, see http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/539591/the-harcombe-diet

I chose this diet (not as an after Xmas guilt thing but last October BTW) on the recommendation of a 55 year old friend who is very fit and healthy and has been living by it for years. Yes the first phase is a bit dramatic but as you adjust to a sustainable day to day diet you maintain and in some cases continue to lose marginal amounts of weigh if you wish.

I guess my crystal ball isn't as effective as yours, I'll just have to wait and see what happens but I'll stay positive and try not to be knocked off course by the naysayers.

If you think you can you can and if you think you can't you can't. ;)

What would a dietician or medical professional disagree with me on? You've clearly decided this diet is for you and that you're not going to be "knocked off course by the naysayers", but you asked about how the diet you're on impacts on your ability to cycle 40 kilometres. Unsurprisingly, swearing off all carbohydrates and losing a heap of fluid has pretty terrible effects on your ability to exercise.

Is there a shred of data on the number of people who've tried this diet in total as against the number who've managed sustained weight loss on it? Without hard data like that, all we can realistically assess is that this diet is the same as all the others and 90+% of people using it will put the weight back on.

Lastly: the fact that someone you know is doing well on a given diet tells you virtually nothing about whether it'll work for you. I lost ten kilos between August and November last year, and kept it off over Christmas, but my diet is abysmal: the weight loss and reduced resting heart rate are the result of a big upswing in the amount of training I do.

You don't need a gimmicky nonsense diet to lose weight: just watch your portion sizes, eat less garbage and exercise more than you did.

Also: if a bet is made and you successfully keep the weight off, I'm starting the Gambler's Weight Loss Plan.

Unsurprisingly, swearing off all carbohydrates and losing a heap of fluid has pretty terrible effects on your ability to exercise.

It's funny that the "no carbs" bit, which is a temporary phase lasting between 5 days and 3 weeks (I'm going for the 3 weeks) is what everyone seems to be focused on rather than the (hopefully) years of healthier eating (including carbs) the diet promotes post the initial "no carbs" phase.

I started this thread as I didn't appreciate the the effect no carbs would have on me when out for a spin. I've learned a lot and won't be going for a spin again without having had some carbs the previous day and a good brekkie of porridge and eggs beforehand with a banana in my jersey in case I need it.

This time next week the "no carbs" phase will be over and I'll be back to a more balanced diet sans sugar and sans 90% of the bread I used to eat. If that's a gimmick or nonsense to some who have a better understanding of nutrition than I fair enough but for me the results are both real and impressive and most important of all sustainable.

• Advertisement

Yes, I think 'detox' is an unfortunate term and I'd be inclined to run away from anything with that in the description too.

'Dependency' might be a better term, but even that isn't too good.

For example, we can have a dependency on 'caffeine' and 'sugars' (of the highly-refined type) and 'alcohol'. Going off those probably isn't 'detox', but it can leave people feeling crappy until the body adjusts ('detoxes'!!??)

What the 'diet' is giving him is better food with the structure he says he needs, so there seems to be noting wrong with either of those, as long as he supplements a little with good quality carbs when needed for the bike.
    The rate of weight loss does seem a bit excessive though.

... I've learned a lot and won't be going for a spin again without having had some carbs the previous day and a good brekkie of porridge and eggs beforehand ....

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater ... easy rides of up to two hours with no breakfast can be got used to pretty quickly, but not every day of course, and only for the easy rides.

Yes, I think 'detox' is an unfortunate term and I'd be inclined to run away from anything with that in the description too.

'Dependency' might be a better term, but even that isn't too good.

For example, we can have a dependency on 'caffeine' and 'sugars' (of the highly-refined type) and 'alcohol'. Going off those probably isn't 'detox', but it can leave people feeling crappy until the body adjusts ('detoxes'!!??)

I don't disagree, I'm probably using the term "detox" a bit flippantly. Phase one is just about cutting out all the crap and carbs for between 5 days and 3 weeks. Once your body gets used to not having loads of sugar, caffine, alcohol, white flour, bad carbs etc I describe as a detox which I guess is incorrect but there is definitely some sort of cleansing going on or at least your body is getting a bit of a break from having to process so much rubbish out of the system.
    The rate of weight loss does seem a bit excessive though.
    And not something which will continue much longer. I'd like to get to 90kg but I've committed to a max of 3 weeks on the "no carbs" phase which will be pulled back a couple of days as I want to go on a long hard (for me) spin on Saturday so I'll start eating spuds on Friday and have a porridge and egg breakfast on Saturday to make sure I have some reservoir of carbs for the spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Jawgap wrote: »
    It sounds like I'm about the same age as the OP (give or take a year).

I spent most of last year off the bike because of injury and illness (nothing major, just enough to stop me from going more than about 20km without spending time in agony afterwards).

Since before Christmas I've been steadily building back up and since the start of the year I've dumped 4.8 kg (as of this morning).

It didn't take faddy diets - just common sense.......porridge with dried fruit for brekkie, make my own lunches (so I know what's in them precisely), cut out most red meat and replaced it with some chicken and lots of fish, plenty of fruit and veg.......kept the Friday night 'takeaway' but now have sushi instead of a Chinese and have Sunday brunch as a treat.

Aside from building back up saddle time, I've been doing a lot of swimming, and long stints on the cross-trainer.

There are many reasons why people won't follow Jawgap’s diet:
    • There are no cool words or phrases to describe it: "Common sense" V's "detox reset button" - no contest
    • The scientific approach lets the side down because it doesn't allow for rapid, sustainable weight loss (unless you opt for amputation)
    • Changing your lifestyle is boring whereas "keep carbs and protein separated" sounds like a very interesting idea
    • The common sense approach - the one that works - is too difficult
    Unfortunately, the only way to lose weight properly involves pain, time and changed attitudes. But could you make any money out of that? Can you see it:

The "Eat less and exercise more diet" is taking the world by storm!

The 3 phases in my diet would be are:
    1. Sort yourself out
    2. Get used to it
    3. Continue doing it
    It worked for me when I stopped smoking. The problem with food is that you have to keep eating and I find regulation - rather than elimination - really difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Surprised at the negativity of comments about the OP's diet and the sudden weight loss.

I read the diet plan and it seemed sensible enough to me, it may be a copy of something else, there may be several other similar diets out there, but at the end of the day it is not a starvation diet, has sounds basic principles (from the bit of reading I've done elsewhere) and it is at least a plan. Like training on a bike, almost any plan is way better than no plan.

I'd imagine it is far healthier than what the OP was eating/drinking before and so what if there are no carbs for a short while and he has to adjust exercise accordingly. CAVEMAN didn't have access to all different sorts of food at the same time so I don't see how it is that unhealthy.

At 101kg my primary aim would be to lose weight.. and keep it off, I wouldn't be too concerned about training until the kgs were more manageable.

As regards previous people on diets putting weight back on again, I suspect that is a lot to do with motivation. If somebody is big, loses weight, gets into cycling and gets the buzz from it, chances are they'll be motivated to keep it off and I know quite a few Mamils who have done that.

Neolithic people didn't live long enough to develop diet related diseases........

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Instead of the quick fix approach a more moderate and patient approach could yield the same results with less physical and psychological strain...

what the weight loss industry is worth is very interesting http://www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/global-market-for-weight-loss-worth-$726-billion-by-2014.asp

I would refer to that as the "obesity industry" rather than the weight loss industry. Where there is demand (whether justified by medical advice or modern day size zero type peer pressure) there will always be a supply of different solutions offered. If there was no obesity in the first place there would be no weight loss industry.

Anyway, having just completed a Spin class during my lunch hour I'm tucking into a tuna salad. Who said losing weight couldn't be fun? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Anyway, having just completed a Spin class during my lunch hour I'm tucking into a tuna salad. Who said losing weight couldn't be fun? ;)

Do you mind me asking where you did the spinning class, if it was city centre. I'd be interested in PAYG spin a couple of lunchtimes a week

Anyone used these or have an opinion?

rtmie wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you did the spinning class, if it was city centre. I'd be interested in PAYG spin a couple of lunchtimes a week

Anyone used these or have an opinion?

The gym at Trinity has spinning classes (early morning, lunchtime and evening) and non-members are allowed participate. Think it's about a tenner per session.

• Advertisement
Advertisement