Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Chelsea Capital One Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg k.o 19:45

18910111214»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Raf32 wrote: »
    Have to say Chelsea could do with upgrading on Cahill, bit of a liability back there. Matic and Terry making him look decent but not good enough.

Hummels in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yea a 2-2 draw see Liverpool go through and Chelsea remain unbeaten at home

I'd take it, all about City a few days later
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Have to say Chelsea could do with upgrading on Cahill, bit of a liability back there. Matic and Terry making him look decent but not good enough.

Ya, hes been piss poor for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Augmerson wrote: »
    Hummels in the summer.

I hope not :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think most pool fans certainly believe Chelsea are firm favourites to go through. However, we haven't seen pool play with that kind of intensity at all this season (maybe the game at Spurs being an exception) so it was nice seeing them take the game to what would be considered superior opposition. That's just fueled a few heads towards being a bit over zealous. It's still all to play for and few expected that.

This, pretty much.

Chelsea are probably 2/5 to go through, but we've shown we can cause them problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barr wrote: »
    Masterclass from Jose again, he’ll be a happy man going home tonight.

His keeper saved him from a hammering. Masterclass me hole, he was very lucky tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen this not sure how true it could be

Pride of Merseyside ‏@LFC_Squad 3m3 minutes ago
    Waini! RT @Mootaz_LFC: Henderson and Diego Costa had a little fight in the tunnel, according to @zmansour75.

I think most pool fans certainly believe Chelsea are firm favourites to go through. However, we haven't seen pool play with that kind of intensity at all this season (maybe the game at Spurs being an exception) so it was nice seeing them take the game to what would be considered superior opposition. That's just fueled a few heads towards being a bit over zealous. It's still all to play for and few expected that.

Spot on.

Praise for the performance is seen as celebrating. Bit precious imo.

Anyway, on to the FA cup Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Waini! RT @Mootaz_LFC: Henderson and Diego Costa had a little fight in the tunnel, according to @zmansour75.

Bad form from Henderson if true.

I'd expect our vice captain to have a bit more respect for the elderly.

Skrtel and Markovic favourites for the opposition :pac:

Or maybe not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

None of our team will play Saturday I would say guess bar a defender maybe. I would say there were harsh words after that we were dreadful but then we nearly always do with Mikel in the team. Will we play that badly and Liverpool that well next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

rob316 wrote: »
    His keeper saved him from a hammering. Masterclass me hole, he was very lucky tonight.

Yip he dropped Czech for Courtois tonight , even though Czech started all the previous Capital One games.... another great call from Jose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Good game to watch tonight from a Liverpool perspective. High pressing, attacking display was really good at times impressive and considering playing Sterling as the striker it was a decent nights work. Would have been a sickener not to get something from that game though. Sterling got alot of joy out of Cahill as did Markovich as he seemed to have the legs of Luis. All in all not many could complain if we came away with a 2-1 lead ... as we'll probably need it for the away leg.

All said and done, it also shows the sort of joy that you can get in playing Chelsea when you approach the game in a positive manner. Spurs did the same last week getting at Matic and Cesc and exposing them under pressure, same with Terry/Cahill - once exposed they can be got at. We just don't see it alot cos most teams play them with fear. There is a reason why Jose plays Matic and Obi Mikel there! It's cos he needs to more than he'd want to. Thought Coutinho was the best mid on show tonight by a country mile, he was excellent.

Chelsea are a serious team though and probably the only team i can remember that have ever been so comfortably in their "zone" when defending for 80 mins of a 90 min game. Slowing the game down at vital moments, taking throw ins like they are walking through mud - they must be a nightmare to be up against when they get a lead. Then Hazard and Willian on the break are always a threat.

The question is can Liverpool be as effective away from home and have the belief that they can win it. Mental strength will be questioned. Of course Chelsea can be beaten at home. Nothing to lose here as most people would make them underdogs to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Great 2nd half, you would have to think it's a missed opportunity for Liverpool. They did enough to win that comfortably if they had a decent striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good game to watch tonight from a Liverpool perspective. High pressing, attacking display was really good at times impressive and considering playing Sterling as the striker it was a decent nights work. Would have been a sickener not to get something from that game though. Sterling got alot of joy out of Cahill as did Markovich as he seemed to have the legs of Luis. All in all not many could complain if we came away with a 2-1 lead ... as we'll probably need it for the away leg.

All said and done, it also shows the sort of joy that you can get in playing Chelsea when you approach the game in a positive manner. Spurs did the same last week getting at Matic and Cesc and exposing them under pressure, same with Terry/Cahill - once exposed they can be got at. We just don't see it alot cos most teams play them with fear. There is a reason why Jose plays Matic and Obi Mikel there! It's cos he needs to more than he'd want to. Thought Coutinho was the best mid on show tonight by a country mile, he was excellent.

Chelsea are a serious team though and probably the only team i can remember that have ever been so comfortably in their "zone" when defending for 80 mins of a 90 min game. Slowing the game down at vital moments, taking throw ins like they are walking through mud - they must be a nightmare to be up against when they get a lead. Then Hazard and Willian on the break are always a threat.

The question is can Liverpool be as effective away from home and have the belief that they can win it. Mental strength will be questioned. Of course Chelsea can be beaten at home. Nothing to lose here as most people would make them underdogs to go through.

At least we'll be going into this on the back of 3 away wins in the league, and 5 straight away wins in all competitions...should help with the confidence, they should be feeling pretty good on the road now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Predicted a 1-1 pre game as I thought Mourinho would play for a draw. Liverpool looked very good, high intensity etc.

As for the Person saying Chelsea are Overrated? Lol.

Can see Chesea still winning at home and the argument turning into 'Well we didn't get battered etc etc''

Chelsea 2 or 3 nil. Maybe 3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Predicted a 1-1 pre game as I thought Mourinho would play for a draw. Liverpool looked very good, high intensity etc.

As for the Person saying Chelsea are Overrated? Lol.

Can see Chesea still winning at home and the argument turning into 'Well we didn't get battered etc etc''

Chelsea 2 or 3 nil. Maybe 3-1.

The odds are definitely with Chelsea at home alright. Be nice to break open that preferred and obvious idea though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wasn't watching the game, but it seems like the same old story from Chelsea and the same old story upfront from Liverpool.

Liverpool should be looking to keep the game 0-0 for as long as possible next week - Mourinho will no doubt help them - and then go for it in the last 15-20 minutes. You wouldn't trust Liverpool to defend an early goal or give Chelsea no option but to attack. Let them play out their 0-0 as long as you dare..

However, I do love to see Chelsea go out on away goals. It's much better fun. 2-2 please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Not at all, the look of fear when home fans realise they wasted 1/2 a tie trying not to win it away is well worth it, even if they do sneak over in the end.

They only disappoint on the rare occasions they wrap it up early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Barr wrote: »
    Yip he dropped Czech for Courtois tonight , even though Czech started all the previous Capital One games.... another great call from Jose

Playing your no. 1 keeper in a cup semifinal.
    Really reinventing the wheel alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Playing your no. 1 keeper in a cup semifinal.
    Really reinventing the wheel alright

It was a masterstroke, he really knows how to play these touch line psycholgical battles with opposition managers. Did you see his interview afterwards....absolute genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dfx- wrote: »
    Wasn't watching the game, but it seems like the same old story from Chelsea and the same old story upfront from Liverpool.

Liverpool should be looking to keep the game 0-0 for as long as possible next week - Mourinho will no doubt help them - and then go for it in the last 15-20 minutes. You wouldn't trust Liverpool to defend an early goal or give Chelsea no option but to attack. Let them play out their 0-0 as long as you dare..

However, I do love to see Chelsea go out on away goals. It's much better fun. 2-2 please.

In all our home games so far weve got 39 goals and left in 6.

One thing it wont be is 0-0 until the late stages of the game. ;)

It is also a cup semi final 2nd leg where 0-0 and 1-0 put Chelsea through.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

0-0 means extra time doesnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

0-0 means extra time doesnt it?

Yeh but if 0-0 After Extra Time, Chelsea win on the away goal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

'Diego Costa, The Elephant Man' was a quite enjoyable chant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Next week, one of the greatest ever players in the world will make his final appearance in the league cup. Personally I'm looking forward to the 8 page full colour commemorative pull out in the Sun about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

bJesrpq.jpg

We dont draw blanks at home my friend, same with 1-0's. They dont happen at the Bridge. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Next week, one of the greatest ever players in the world will make his final appearance in the league cup. Personally I'm looking forward to the 8 page full colour commemorative pull out in the Sun about it

Ye I hope mourinho does the decent thing and brings drogba on for a cameo at the end.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We dont draw blanks at home my friend, same with 1-0's. They dont happen at the Bridge. :cool:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27210847

These do though ;)

If this Pool team was half as good as a UCL finalist and La Liga winners I'd be worried.

Theyre not, therfore I am not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

rob316 wrote: »

When he's using terms like 'masterclass' you know he's bought into the skysports hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

TartAlertAdder.gif

Could watch this on loop for the rest of the season. Love when a dirty player gets clattered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement