Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity benefit

Options
  • 18-01-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi looking for some knowledge! I am currently unemployed after bring made redundant in oct 2014, I am almost 24 weeks pregnant, citizens advice told me I would be entitled to claim maternity benefit when the time comes (may2015)as I worked & paid tax etc continuously for past number of years, but looking at the Mat benefit forms & websites etc I can't see how to go about claiming it, it only gives options to fill out current employer or if ur self employed, has anyone else been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think you may have been mis-informed. Although it is based on previous years PRSI contributions, one of the rules is
    Maternity Benefit is paid by the Department of Social Protection to women who have a certain number of paid PRSI contributions on their social insurance record and who are in insurable employment up to the first day of their maternity leave

I got that from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

where it does say if you are in receipt of a social welfare payment you may be entitled to half rate maternity benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I think you have to be in employment within 16 weeks of due date. You need to ring the dept of social protection (01) 471 5898 in the morning. They are very informative and will be able to tell you over the phone if you are eligible.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you need to have paid PRSI within 16 weeks of your due date so you meet some of the requirements but not all.
    Ring the Revenue or talk to your local CWO and they can tell you about your entitlements while on job seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

My contract in my job wasn't extended when I was pregnant with my daughter. I finished working when I was 30 weeks though. I did receive maternity benefit but I think I had to take the money from when I finished work something like that.

Advertisement