Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The angle between two lines

• 18-01-2015 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I cannot figure out how to do this question even from using the example on the previous page of the questions.
    find the obtuse angle between the lines x-2y-1=0 and 3x-y+2=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Basically you want to find the slope of each line and then use the formula tan∅ = ± (m1-m2)/(1+m1m2). Angle is 135° :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Damn you, Dan. I had the whole thing typed up in LaTeX code and everything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Thank you so much for an amazing fast reply.
    and Nim thank you too ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Nim wrote: »
    Damn you, Dan. I had the whole thing typed up in LaTeX code and everything :(

Haha the one time I actually visit this forum :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Be careful with perpendicular lines. The product of the slopes of two perpendicular lines is -1, so the denominator becomes 0..and you don't wanna go there.

If you don't realise they're perpendicular from the slopes, a 0 denominator should tell you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement