Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sharing bed

• 18-01-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

What are your views of your dog sharing your bed at night Our Bicon sleeps in our bed. I know most people think this is terrible and wouldn't even let their dog into their bedroom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

terrible idea, the headache you will have trying to get rid of him from your bed after he gets used to it. must be awkward regards to sex life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

terrible idea, the headache you will have trying to get rid of him from your bed after he gets used to it. must be awkward regards to sex life

Will never get rid of him now he's in too long

There are ways and means around the sex life :D Where there's a will there's a way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

basically the dog is in control. He has his own way. Never too late it just requires more effort. Letting an animal into your bed is the lazy easy option. I did this with my dog but when I started going out with someone it became a problem. It's also not health having a dog in the bed. it took a long time to get him used to going to his bed without barking or scratching doors. worth it in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It is really a personal preference. There's nothing bad about it unless it annoys you. My two dogs sleep on my bed and they are equal to the size of one human when put end to end with each other! :o But I know when I get dog no. 3 I need to possibly change the sleeping arrangements as there won't be room for three of them plus my partner!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Having done both, I would never want to sleep without my dog in the bed. She's very clean and I change my sheets regularly so no issues there either. Afaik it hasn't affected my health in he slightest either.

She makes me feel much safer when she's there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

basically the dog is in control. He has his own way. Never too late it just requires more effort. Letting an animal into your bed is the lazy easy option. I did this with my dog but when I started going out with someone it became a problem. It's also not health having a dog in the bed. it took a long time to get him used to going to his bed without barking or scratching doors. worth it in the end

it is not lazy, nor is it unhealthy to have a dog in your bed in my opinion. My eldest slept with me for years, I decided then to train her to sleep downstairs (took about 3 nights) and now she sleeps downstairs most of the time but I bring her up sometimes.

OP it is entirely up to you, if you are all happy who are we to judge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

VonVix wrote: »
    But I know when I get dog no. 3 I need to possibly change the sleeping arrangements as there won't be room for three of them plus my partner!

Your partner will have to be taught to sleep in the utility room! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My utility room already looks like Maxizoo.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Best place for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

basically the dog is in control. He has his own way.

Not at all, if the owners preference is to have their dog sleep in their bed then it's their choice. It's comforting for some owners and it's absolutely a comfort for the dog, who thrives on the company of their owner. It's not about control, and to subscribe to the theory that a dog needs to have "control" is harking back to the debunked dominance theory which applied to captive wolves, not dogs.
    Never too late it just requires more effort. Letting an animal into your bed is the lazy easy option. I did this with my dog but when I started going out with someone it became a problem. It's also not health having a dog in the bed. it took a long time to get him used to going to his bed without barking or scratching doors. worth it in the end
    Again, not lazy, but a comfort to both animal and owner. Health issues are negligible, very few diseases that a dog carries are zoonotic, apart from parasites (which are easily treated by regular worming and flea treatments if necessary), whereas if you share a bed with a human you are far more likely to pick up the germs they are carrying. Think stomach bugs, colds, sore throats etc.

It's not that hard at all to get a dog trained to get out of your bed, our dogs are more than happy to come in for a cuddle before bedtime, then out to their own beds for a treat, then back in for a morning cuddle. If one of us is away then they stay in the bed (because there's room!) and they know that if the two of us are there then it's back to normal. It's all about making a positive association with their own bed and they'll be perfectly happy.

• Advertisement

I know some dogs like to be in control but and refuse to leave the bed but I know if we really wanted we could have him sleeping in his own bed in no time. It's just a bit awkward when friends ask where dose he sleep. I would tend to hum and haw but hubby tells them straight out. You can see their reaction straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

I really don't see any issue with dogs sharing your bed. My Rottie will be four in May and has shared my bed since she was eight weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

My chap has his own bed in bedroom, and one in sitting room,:o He jumps up on bed for cuddle and a heat ( great for these cold nights for us ;)) and then on his own accord goes to his own bed, back up again at 4.45 for five mins cuddles before get up and go for walk. I think its up to owner and your relationship with your dog, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

lulu1 wrote: »
    I know some dogs like to be in control but and refuse to leave the bed but I know if we really wanted we could have him sleeping in his own bed in no time. It's just a bit awkward when friends ask where dose he sleep. I would tend to hum and haw but hubby tells them straight out. You can see their reaction straight away.

Does it bother you what other people think? It's your life and if you're happy with the arrangement then other peoples opinions shouldn't matter. A lot of Irish people have quite a myopic view of dogs, that they shouldn't be indoors full stop :mad:. All well and good if they're happy enough to spend quality time with them outdoors, but many are left languishing alone in back gardens day after day.

Again, and I don't want to harp on about it but dogs really don't want to be in "control". It's suggesting something entirely different to the human/canine relationship to say the dog wants to be in control. A dog is completely dependent on his human owner and as such wants to spend as much time as possible in their company, they don't want to take over the world! A lot of people don't put the effort into training dogs as puppies, and in particular, a pup not spending any alone time can lead to separation anxiety - the behaviours exhibited by sufferers can range from continuous barking and whining, to destruction, soiling and defecation to self harm by the dog, but a lot of people will not recognise the symptoms and put the blame on the dog for being bold and trying to get their own way. While the dog is really suffering from anxiety, the only thing they are trying to control is their stress levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Our 3 sleep in the bed, we actually have the bed extended with a second bed to give a giant sized bed but you still find them snuggled right up to you by morning.!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My dog sleeps in my bed in fact I'm not sure she's ever slept through the night in her own!

Granted she's a tiny little Jack Russell but it'd be the same if she were a Great Dane I'm sure, they love their comfort! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

You are asking for trouble asking such a question here to be honest,

We got a super king bed to facilitate our 3 but the oldest is now too old for the stairs.

One sleeps on the floor in hs own dog bet, the other loves the heat and crawls under the duvet when cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    You are asking for trouble asking such a question here to be honest,

We got a super king bed to facilitate our 3 but the oldest is now too old for the stairs.

One sleeps on the floor in hs own dog bet, the other loves the heat and crawls under the duvet when cold.

Ali crawls underneath the duvet too! It honestly still makes me wonder sometimes how she can breathe under there.

They love being close to their humans so I really don't see the issue.

When you love your furbaby like a lot of people do on here then what's the issue?

Now if you'd excuse me I have to get up while my doggie is under the duvet all warm and snug!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

What??????? Dogs aren't meant to share a bed with their humans:eek::eek::eek: I have a Jack Russell here who obviously didn't get that memo:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

lulu1 wrote:

who cares what other people think though? it's your choice. My dog always slept on my bed in my old house even when I met my now husband and he didn't mind (that's why I married him!) The house we live in now has an upstairs and the older dog can't manage them so the younger dog doesn't come up either as that wouldn't be fair, however if it was up to me I'd have them both on the bed with us every night I miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

2 years ago my we thought our elderly dog was dying and we started bringing her to our bed at night just in case anything happened. Guess what, she didn't die!!! We've only just managed to get her out of the bed, though she sleeps still in the bedroom. I sleep much better without her in the bed, no dog hairs, no muddy paws, no small animal virtually pushing you out of the bed, everybody is happier (though she probably would have something to say about that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I share my bed with two medium/large sized dogs. One sleeps stretched out with her back resting against me and the other likes to curl up beside my head share my pillow. :o

There's usually at least one cat on the bed as well, two if it's very cold. One sleeps on my lap and the other crawls under the covers and nestles in the crook of my arm.

I've learnt not to move about much at night. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper has never once walked up the stairs so I just share the bed with the cat. If I had a bed downstairs though it would probably be a different story :) it's nice for the cat though - he has from about the 4step upwards as all of his safe territory...I think if Cooper leant to climb the stairs Puss would pack his bags and leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Do you actually care what people think? it’s your home it your own dynamics!

I couldn’t give a toss what people think of my family… the three of us, two adults and a cocker! we’re six years married and no kids so they already think we’re odd anyway!

My guy sleeps 99% of the time downstairs, he has free rein between the living room ad his bed in the kitchen, it’s his choice.

BUT given half the opportunity he would def. come up to our bed. He LOVES it up there.

We do let him up the odd time, if there’s fireworks, if he’s unwell or if my other half is away etc.
    I’d have no problem with him up every night buy the other half says no (kill joy) as our guy snores REALLY loudly… and he loves to spoon, so you’re stuck in the one position each night!

Forget what other people think… it’s your lives, your way – stuff their opinions

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I have slept for one night with our cat on the foot of our bed because there was a non-cat friendly dog in the kitchen (where she normally sleeps. Worst sleep ever. Everytime I moved my feet she meowed and "gave out".

Everyone has different standards of what they expect/allow their dogs/cats to do. I think when you are in someone else's house its important to respect their wishes but in your house it really only matters what you and your partner (if there is one) think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had to go over to ikea last week to get the lightest quilt they have (€5 for 4tog) because Lucy has me roasted every night! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He never slept on any of our beds but he sometimes snooze there for an hour or so. Towards the end of his life he wasn't able to jump up so it stopped. He did spend 7 years on the floor of my parents bedroom at night

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Our older girl can't jump on the bed anymore,but has a duvet right beside it, as has the small man. He's a JR, but thinks he's a rottie. If he's feeling generous, he will jump into the bed with us...and I miss him if he's not there, he's my cuddle blanky. He loves heat and buries himself under my arm.
    As for what anybody else thinks, I don't comment on their bedroom habits, they should not comment on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Delighted to read this. We have a springer spaniel who sleeps on the right side of the bed on top of the duvet, I'm in the middle and wife is on the other side. We also have 4 cats on the bottom of the bed.
    Its a full bed these cold nights. But once the nights get warmer the animals will sleep in their own beds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

My husband won't let ours sleep in the bed with us :( I would love to have them up! They sleep in the kitchen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement