Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sharing bed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I probably wouldn't have a dog 'in' the bed, but maybe on the bed, if I had a big enough bed. No problems having the cat in the bed though, no different to a furry hot bottle. :pac:

My dog wouldn't like the bed anyway, he'd be too warm. Given free rein he sleeps on the coldest piece of floor in the house, marble tile at the foot of the stair/front door.

I guess also the reason the cat is allowed to sleep in the bed is because he is an indoor cat and very clean, minimal shed. You would find a nail cast in the bed or a whisker before you would find a hair. That and the 'business time' radar means he can stay.

Dogs to my sensibilities are 'smellier', no matter how clean. I dislike the smell of Bichon's and other coats with tight curled hair. To me its a strong smell, even if its not necessarily a bad smell.

I remember having reservations when the cat first started sleeping in the bed as he wasn't in a settled routine and I didn't want the cat to set the routine (such as being active at night and waking us up early) If I wanted to live with that, I'd have children.

He settled into a flexible routine that we set though with some conditioning, such as not feeding first thing in the morning etc
    He goes to bed (and sleeps) when we do.

I imagine most dogs are up as soon as someone is awake, whereas the cat is evil and will sleep in in smug treachery with whoever is so lucky. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

My husband just lifts our dog out of the bed in the morning about 6.30 and takes him for a walk. When he comes back the dog will come back into the bed until whatever time I decide to get up. When the weather starts to get better I leave the front door open and he will lay there all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mine won't go near my room because they associate going upstairs with the B.A.T.H. Though I'm thinking of bringing Tegan up for a few nights after her operation on Friday, so her stitches don't get nibbled on in the night.

If you're ok with hairy sheets I don't see anything wrong with having your dog in bed with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

kylith wrote: »
    Mine won't go near my room because they associate going upstairs with the B.A.T.H. Though I'm thinking of bringing Tegan up for a few nights after her operation on Friday, so her stitches don't get nibbled on in the night.

If you're ok with hairy sheets I don't see anything wrong with having your dog in bed with you.

He dosent cast hairs and just lies on top of the duvet at the bottom of the bed. Hope Tegan's op goes ok on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My Shadow slept in bed beside me from he was 6 weeks old right up until the night before we had him put to sleep almost 11 years later :o
    Unfortunately Opie isn't ready for bed sleeping as he only sleeps for a few minutes and then jumps up to lick our faces, but as soon as he calms we'll probably let him up there too. Any foster dogs I've ever had I took into bed with me, and when we sit for my MIL, her dog sleeps in our bed too.

Dogs don't feel in control when they sleep in bed with you, they feel safe, warm and included ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I sometimes let my two sleep in my bed and have never had any problems with either of them getting pushy or disobedient when asked to get off the bed, that said they both give me the puppy eyes when doing so :D I'd have no problem letting them sleep on my bed every night except the collie takes up the whole bed and i have a double bed! she wants to be close to me and has to lie her head on my chest or shoulder, the terrier sleeps at the bottom and likes her space. They both shed which is something i don't like on the sheets under the duvet but that comes with having dogs. They sleep in the kitchen every other night, I certainly wouldn't care what other people thought about my dogs sleeping in my bed.

kylith wrote: »
    Mine won't go near my room because they associate going upstairs with the B.A.T.H.

My terrier won't go near the bathroom at all and even does a runner when she sees anyone holding a towel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My girl sleeps in her own house, and prefers to be there. She howled when I wanted her to sleep in the kitchen, and ran out straight into her house. That said she does have a memory foam doggie bed and her own duvet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lulu1 wrote: »
    He dosent cast hairs and just lies on top of the duvet at the bottom of the bed. Hope Tegan's op goes ok on Friday.
    Lucky you! My pair only have to walk into a room and there's hair on the floor, all over the sofa, in your socks, behind the radiator, in the saucepans. You name it, I've probably found hair there!

Thanks, I'm sure she'll be grand. I'm more worried about her missing me than about the op itself.
    SingItOut wrote: »
    My terrier won't go near the bathroom at all and even does a runner when she sees anyone holding a towel :D
    And yet they have no problem with puddles, or even wading in the canal. Nice clean warm water must be just awful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I have a mini yorkie call rosie and she sleeps in my bed every night!

Last night I had a fluffy hot water bottle at my back and when I woke up during the night, she was nestled on top of it sleeping soundly! She loves to be warm and HAS to be touching off your body when she sleeps in the bed ☺️ I have no problem with it.

My friend has a 7 month old Lab and he would be a no no for me simply because of his size and the amount of hair that they shed :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

My dog goes to ground with the mere mention of bathroom, when i do take her for her shower, i have to drag and lift 25kgs of dog into shower... any other room and she runs around like a maniac..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

My bichon sleeps on the bed and although I do like having him there most of the time there are drawbacks. He regularly disturbs my sleep by wanting to go outside even when he has been let out last thing at night. Also if I'm away and he stays with my brother he is left in the sitting room with my brother's dog. The first time he barked and howled so much my brother spent most of the night down in the sitting room with him. Luckily I've a very understanding brother! On balance I wouldn't have started this habit if I knew then what I know now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I wouldn't co-sleep with children and I didn't co-sleep with the dogs. Three boxers wouldn't have left much room for people, the hair would drive me mad (it was bad enough trying to keep the downstairs de-haired) and having them in the room would have affected the spontaneity of our sex life. So, nope, in the sitting room with them, and everyone was happy.

[QUOTE=kylith;93936372
    And yet they have no problem with puddles, or even wading in the canal. Nice clean warm water must be just awful :pac:[/QUOTE]

The absolute truth! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

How disgusting, dogs sleeping in your bed, wouldn't even let one in my house.no matter how clean you might keep them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Blackbird49,
    Having already made your views about how "disgusting" animals are in another thread here in the Animals and Pets forum, I have to ask myself (a) why someone who finds animals "disgusting" even reads this forum, and (b) why you felt the need to reawaken an old thread to once again tell us all, here in the Animals and Pets forum, how "disgusting" you find animals!
    Enough of the soap boxing blackbird49, you've made your point, a point which I can only think is designed to irritate the bejayzus out of the animal lovers, here on the Animals and Pets forum. If animals disgust you, this is hardly the right forum for you.
    In the interests of you not starting a fight here on a Saturday night, this thread is now closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement