Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed at people letting dogs off leads?

• 18-01-2015 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I feel like I may be in the minority here but do other dog owners get annoyed when dogs aren't on leads when they should be?

Don't get me wrong if it's allowed then I don't see an issue but if it's in a public park or in the street it's irritates me to no end!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

As long as a dog is under effectual control, they do not have to be on lead.

If a dog is running around being a nuisance, whether off-lead or on one of those extendible leads, it's annoys me and sets a bad example of better dog owners.

EDIT: I was wrong, 'restricted breeds' must be on a short leash in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

As long as a dog is under effectual control, they do not have to be on lead.

Sorry I suppose I didn't word that right. My local park and green where I live both prohibit dogs being off leashes. I wasnt aware I dog could be off a leash on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yeah I get you. Especially in public parks. I don't really mind if the dog is more interested in sniffing or sticking close to his owner, but I can't stand it when people let their dog(s) off lead who are overly friendly. Don't get me wrong, I love friendly dogs, but it's not fair to other dog owners, you don't know how someone's dog feels about strange dogs coming near them. Heck, even people who are afraid of dogs wouldn't be happy either!

At my local park there are back fields that are not used by the general public, it's mostly used by dog owners who want to let their dogs off leash, which while technically not allowed (I think?), at least you KNOW that dogs are gonna be off leash there.

For example last week there seemed to be no parkies working, and for some reason everyone seemed to have their dogs off lead absolutely everywhere in the park. One of my fellas got chased around me by this growly little dog... it's simply not fair to my boy to be experiencing things like that.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

I've always thought the law around dogs being legally being allowed off leash on footpaths or adjacent to public roads ludrecous. Accidents just waiting to happen. Not many dog owners have their dogs under effectual control off leash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Because my collie is dog reactive (she really hates strange dogs) I get very uneasy if a dog is off lead, if its under control and doesn't come near us thats fine. However I get angry at owners allowing their dog to approach us as my collie goes nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It annoys me too. I have two dogs, one is fine off lead but I always make sure to put the lead on him if people approach. The second can't be off the lead at all. I constantly have other dogs jump up at them and me and one was attacked last summer by a loose dog. As a runner I'm constantly jumped on by dogs, I don't care how great your dog is keep it on a lead when other people are around.

I have an Akita permanently on leash, muzzled & under control who is frequently terrorized by dogs off the leash, most same sex dogs bark at him & try to attack him but the worst is when you encounter a pack of dogs off leash then it's a nightmare and stressful for both my dog and the dogs trying to gang up on him! Thankfully that doesn't happen too often but I'm disappointed with how many crap dog owners let their dogs off leash.

That's the personal side of it and why I think all dogs should be on a leash and under control.

The other side (not involving my dog) is when I was making my way home before Christmas and I saw a gorgeous little Cavalier King Charles get knocked down by a taxi and then had to console the owner as its dog laid on the ground with blood pouring out of its head as it died within a minute of being knocked down...

I have a dog that is not great with other dogs. He only warns them with alot of barking but it annoys me when i try warn people not to let their dog approach me as it will kick off. They still let it happen and then give out to me about my dogs reaction !!
    Other then that i dont mind it too much :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The dreaded line I hear called at me sometimes is "my dogs ok" as it races over towards us and its too late to shout back "well mine is not".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

maggiepip wrote: »
    The dreaded line I hear called at me sometimes is "my dogs ok" as it races over towards us and its too late to shout back "well mine is not".

Ditto sometimes there is a reason as in my case while a very small dog of less than 5kg is on the lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

That's exactly how I feel. My dog is 9lbs and when she has a massive dog running towards her she'll bark like mad at them. I have a constant battle with a group of women who constantly let all 5 of there very large dogs off the leads while they wheel there buggies around the local green, where dogs must be kept on leads at all times.

I have to avoid walking her at some points in the day because any time I've tried to approach them about it I've been told that they aren't going to stop. And that if I couldn't control my dog that was my fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I don't mind off lead dogs at all, in fact i think it would be an awful shame if strict lead laws were to be introduced because of the minority who cannot keep their dog under control without a lead.

I have a dog reactive dog, pisses me off too when a big friendly dog is bounding straight for him with the owner just within shouting distance shouting it's okay he's friendly, and then gives dirty looks as my fella kicks off as her dog continues to stalk mine, ruins my walk, my dogs walk and any single bit of progress iv made in his training since the last dog stalked him.

It's a simple thing to do. If you cannot call your dog back and keep him under control when someone is approaching either alone or with an on lead dog then don't let him off in the first place or walk him where your not going to bump into anyone else. It's a bit of common sense and courtesy. I wouldn't like to see blanket bans on off lead dogs because of the few who cannot grasp this concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joggingjo

Because my collie is dog reactive (she really hates strange dogs) I get very uneasy if a dog is off lead, if its under control and doesn't come near us thats fine. However I get angry at owners allowing their dog to approach us as my collie goes nuts.

My terrier is exactly the same and so he is never off the lead. However, i get very annoyed when, every day, i have to deal with off leash dogs bounding over and the owners telling me from the far side of the park that 'Oh he's just being friendly' and i have to explain that mine is not as he tries to start a fight and i always end up having to try and drag my guy away and pick him up. Im always looked at as though im the irresponsible one, really annoys me! Its always a relief to meet other dog owners who have dogs that don't respond well to strange dogs, good to know me and Alvin are not alone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

joggingjo wrote: »
    My terrier is exactly the same and so he is never off the lead. However, i get very annoyed when, every day, i have to deal with off leash dogs bounding over and the owners telling me from the far side of the park that 'Oh he's just being friendly' and i have to explain that mine is not as he tries to start a fight and i always end up having to try and drag my guy away and pick him up. Im always looked at as though im the irresponsible one, really annoys me! Its always a relief to meet other dog owners who have dogs that don't respond well to strange dogs, good to know me and Alvin are not alone :-)

I've the same issue with my fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It depends on whether or not the dog is under control. There have been times when I've had off lead dogs jump up and put their paws on me, in a friendly way, but my coat got destroyed with mud. That pisses me off greatly and an apology from their humans doesn't pay the dry cleaning bill for my coat.:mad: If I had a dog I'd be worried about it jumping up at people, I've no fear of dogs, but some people do and they might report a dog for jumping up at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joggingjo

I've the same issue with my fella.

We all should set up a club for dog walking, but all dogs need to be at least 25m apart at all times!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Usually I don't get annoyed with dogs off lead and most dogs are fine but you always have the isolated incident when theres a dog off lead whos owner has no control of them. I had my little one at the beach some time ago where we came across a dog whos owner had no control and it resulted in my dog going to the vet with a leg injury, but the majority of dogs I have come across are under effective control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Yes people who can't control their dogs should have them on a leash. My dad and two dogs (both on leads because its the law on that site) were attacked yesterday evening by on off leash staffy, my dad was bitten on the hand and had his jacket torn. A few weeks ago it was on off lead Husky that attacked my neighbors dog in the same area. If your dog have zero recall then it should be kept on a leash regardless of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gg2009

In some parks its perfectly legal for dogs to be off leash at certain times, and both my dogs are off leash but under control during these times. I put hours into training both of them so I will be able to walk and enjoy the park with them during these times.

What is annoying is on the infrequent occasions that my dogs are in the park outside of these allotted times and I keep them on leash is having to constantly fend off illegally off leash dogs. I can see my two looking at me wondering what has changed and obviously our training has yet to extend to time telling!

That being said certain sport events scheduled on weekend morning during dogs off leash time have no regard for the park bye laws and I have had my dog who is not a threat or nuisance to joggers kicked and chased off the paths, while then being shouted at myself. I jog most days and rarely see these people in the park during the week.

Its not just dogs that need to behave themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A particular place where owners let their dogs off leads that really annoys me is at the raven nature reserve in Wexford, the area is a designated nature reserve and is protected under the 1976 wildlife act and it clearly states that dogs are to be kept on a lead yet it falls on deaf ears all the time, infact the dogs on leads are the exception rather than the rule. Selfish people that do that and give responsible dog owners a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've had off lead dogs jump up and put their paws on me, in a friendly way, but my coat got destroyed with mud.

My friend's dog did that to me when he was a pup after he'd stepped in POO!!!!!!! I never told her though because she would have died of embarrassment. :o

I don't understand people who don't want dogs approaching their dogs walking in places where they KNOW they'll be approached anyways and getting annoyed. I made that mistake when Bailey was recovering from his first op and it cost me €200 in xrays, 2 more weeks of crate rest but most importantly 2 weeks thinking his implants had broken out of place and it could possibly be time for a tough decision on what would happen to him. Luckily he was fine but I learned my lesson and didn't take him back to our park until he was fit to be off lead himself/have other dogs near him and have done the same thing any time he was injured or any time I don't want other dogs approaching.

Some people just don't care. I don't let my dogs approach other dogs unless we know them or are invited. The odd time we're in the park these days with a group of other dogs I know exactly which dogs are going to run over annoying passing dogs and what their owners will do - NOTHING/laugh/tell them their bold/laugh as they lead the dog away - if they're even bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

tk123 wrote: »
    I don't understand people who don't want dogs approaching their dogs walking in places where they KNOW they'll be approached anyways and getting annoyed.

Some people just don't care. I don't let my dogs approach other dogs unless we know them or are invited.

I genuinely don't mind other friendly dogs approaching me if i'm on my own. However my terrier doesn't like other dogs jumping all over her or rushing into her face so its more helpful for us if owners ask if they can let their dogs approach first. She's fine with calm dogs. My dog has great recall but I still wouldn't take her to the dog park with off lead dogs just because I know she'd have freak out which isn't fair for her or the other dogs. My collie is the polar opposite she loves other dogs, the crazier the better for her! but she was raised in a foster home with 15 other dogs of all ages and sizes so she has better dog manners I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

tk123 wrote: »

I don't understand people who don't want dogs approaching their dogs walking in places where they KNOW they'll be approached

That kind of limits the places we can walk are dogs then doesn't it? My dog is not sociable and does not like being approached. People out with their dogs off leads should not presume that every dog likes being approached.

In my case, when I see someone in the park with a dog approaching, I step a few metres off the path and wind my fellas lead in and wait for them to pass. If that isn't a signal that my dog doesn't want to be approached, I don't know what is.

That kind of limits the places we can walk are dogs then doesn't it? My dog is not sociable and does not like being approached. People out with their dogs off leads should not presume that every dog likes being approached.

In my case, when I see someone in the park with a dog approaching, I step a few metres off the path and wind my fellas lead in and wait for them to pass. If that isn't a signal that my dog doesn't want to be approached, I don't know what is.

It does limit places - but I like a nice relaxing walk lol!! :o I live right beside the park but I'm lucky that there's wide footpaths around the area with grass and trees etc so we can skip the park and have a nice walk around the area too with plenty of spots for the dogs to sniff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I've had "friendly here" called to me a few times and before I've had a chance to reply their dog has bounded up to me at speed. It does my head in, and I'm far from "friendly" when that owner approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

joggingjo wrote: »

I've had people tell me to leave my dog off the lead when I clearly know that that isn't safe or practical at the time. I do walk with him off the lead but in places and at times that I know we'll have no distractions. But it really annoys me when people presume to know my dog better than me and tell me how deal with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was out walking the other night when a guy appeared out of a driveway on the other side of the road with his dog walking behind him off the lead. The dog off the lead sees my dogs and goes straight onto the road and under a car. Now it turns out the dog seemed to get away with just a knock and not flattened but it did almost cause an accident when the driver tried to avoid it.

Do these idiots think it's clever or something to try and walk their dogs off lead like that?

nc6000 wrote: »

Do these idiots think it's clever or something to try and walk their dogs off lead like that?
    +1

I've had a dog run barking at my car and run out in front of it on another occasion. The same dog runs at other cars/vans and I've also seen run and bark at motorbikes stopped at the lights while the owner keeps the head down and keeps walking. This is at a busy junction in Dublin - not a country late etc (not that that's an excuse). I can't understand why they went to the bother of going to a rehoming centre and took that dog in only to risk it's life like that every day.

My dog got bored one morning on a green and decided to cross an empty road - I've never let him off lead on the green since and I never will. I was stressed out for hours after thinking of what might have been. It seems to be water off a
    ducks back for some owners though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

vicwatson wrote: »
    A particular place where owners let their dogs off leads that really annoys me is at the raven nature reserve in Wexford, the area is a designated nature reserve and is protected under the 1976 wildlife act and it clearly states that dogs are to be kept on a lead yet it falls on deaf ears all the time, infact the dogs on leads are the exception rather than the rule. Selfish people that do that and give responsible dog owners a bad name.

Bull Island is another example. Some people think it's great to have their dogs chasing after the geese/ducks/waders/gulls:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I have two sided opinions on this. I love dogs, and my mother's dogs are lovely, friendly, albeit shy animals, but they live in very rural areas and don't get to see strange people or dogs very often.

But I dated a guy years ago that was terrified of animals, here in Dublin. We'd take a shortcut through a park and loads of lovely, friendly dogs off leads would come running up to us. I'd have to make a huge distraction and get the dogs to come running to me, instead of going to him and scaring the living daylights out of him. Got to where we couldn't go through public parks, or even sometimes certain housing estates, because dogs might be loose and he was petrified of them. People said "He needs to cop on, grow up, etc." but I wasn't going to force him to face his fear. The dogs should have been on leads in these public areas so he didn't have to fret, or make long detours, to get to where he wanted to be. Also, if I had either of my ma's dogs in a public space, I'd keep them on the lead for their own safety! One day one of those friendly, playful dogs ran at my ex in jest and fun, and my ex swung his bag at the dog in fright, the dog got a right slap. I'd like to protect my dogs too. I used to walk my housemate's Lab Bailey around Kilinney Hill. I kept her on the lead because she wasn't my dog, and I wanted to keep her safe. Two golden retrievers came over and started getting aggro with Bailey. I stood between them and shouted "NO! Bad dogs! Bad dogs!", the retrievers retreated, but the owners came over and gave me grief for "disciplining a dog that I had no right to". These dogs were trying to fight with Bailey!

So yes, I get very annoyed that responsible owners of well behaved dogs don't think about everyone else in the vicinity when they let their dogs off the lead. I know my ma's two, and that dog Bailey, were perfectly fine to be off the lead, but if there may be non-doggie people about, or small kids, or really, general public, it's not ok to let your dog loose, no matter how friendly they are.

Advertisement