Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed at people letting dogs off leads?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

So yes, I get very annoyed that responsible owners of well behaved dogs don't think about everyone else in the vicinity when they let their dogs off the lead.

Surely you mean irresponsible owners of badly behaved dogs?
    Responsible owners of well behaved dogs, by definition, take it as read not to allow their dogs approach other people in case they are afraid, or just non-dog people... I no more want to frighten people or risk having my dog kicked, hit or shouted at! When I walk my well behaved dogs as a responsible owner, the general public barely even notice we're there, and why would they when by definition, we're bothering nobody and minding our own business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bull Island is another example. Some people think it's great to have their dogs chasing after the geese/ducks/waders/gulls:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If only they had some mechanism to quickly move away from the dogs?

I walk in the dunes in bull Island during the winter/colder months and we don't see that many birds... I avoid the beach altoghter in favour of the cleaner dog friendly beach 5 mins down the road and avoid the dunes once the fair weather visitors arrive wrecking the place with litter and crapping in the dunes for my dogs to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

This is a topic that bugs me I must say. I just don't get people's attitudes to it....
    I'm not replying to anyone's previous post, just giving my own two cents and experience with it

I see people all the time walking there dogs along main roads, often busy with no lead. A friend of mine always did it with his two. (after several ear bashings from me he now uses the lead) They where very obedient and trotted along happily but at the end of the day they are dogs and could become distracted very easily, anything could make them dart onto the road, a noise, a bird, a cat, another dog, female in heat, a piece of litter blowing down the road screaming chase me! they are dogs at the end of the day! I love my dogs and they are very obedient and would walk to heel with me off lead also but why take the risk??? I would be devastated if anything happened mine and over something so stupid as not having a lead on!!

I have 3 dogs, a male and female German Shepherd and a male Springer Spaniel. They are all very well trained, I have done competition obedience and a little bit of agility with them. They are very social towards other dogs, no dog aggression, and very social towards people also. I regularly go to a training group with a variety of different breeds and people there, it's great tbh

In public I would never leave my dogs off lead! They are always on a short lead and heel by my side! They never pay traffic, cyclists, people or other dogs a glance but why risk it?? The only time I ever leave them off lead is on a local river bank where I walk, It's very quiet and rarely meet other people but if I do I call my dogs to heel and put them on the lead until the person has passed! It's just respect really! My dogs are Big, my male GSD weighs just over 40kg, he is a big boy! and to a stranger could look very intimidating! if I see a person is nervous I will make them sit, on lead, and wait for the person to pass. I often do this too if the people are being dragged by a yapper trying to get to mine!

I have had too many experiences where people's dogs come running up to mine or barking around them and the owners do nothing! sometimes laugh and say he wont touch you or he's just saying hello. I was walking my big lad around my block last summer, the block is 3 miles of a walk. A guy came towards me on the opposite footpath, he had a little terrier cross on one of those long retractable leads, the dog was going nuts to get over to my fella so the owner let him right across the road and stopped him literally a foot away from me and the terrier was barking and growling going nuts and the owner was roaring laughing, thought it was the funniest thing he had seen! I was shocked I must say and said to the guy, would it still be funny if I let my dog do that?? he quickly stopped laughing and tried to get his dog back to his side which is bloody hard on those leads! What was going through his head like? A grown man!

People would also have the argument that they know their dogs and they are social! which I have said about my own, but letting your dog approach another dog you know nothing about... how do you know the other dog is social? or the owner may not want other dogs approaching their dog. Dog owners may be wary or nervous of other dogs also!

I personally believe it comes down to respecting other people, being responsible for your dog and your dog's needs. If you know you have a dog who has tendencies to bark or yap at others or people dont leave them off the lead. If you have a big dog have enough cop on to know strangers may not like or be nervous of big dogs, goes for little ones too!

sorry about the rant or if I came off preachy just giving my opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

tk123 wrote: »
    If only they had some mechanism to quickly move away from the dogs?

I walk in the dunes in bull Island during the winter/colder months and we don't see that many birds... I avoid the beach altoghter in favour of the cleaner dog friendly beach 5 mins down the road and avoid the dunes once the fair weather visitors arrive wrecking the place with litter and crapping in the dunes for my dogs to find.
    Up to 27,000 birds can be present on Bull Island during the winter.
    Brent Geese, Curlew, Widgeon, Grey Plover, Knots, Redshank, Bar-tailed Godwits, Shoveler, Oyster Catchers, Shellduck and Dunlins.

Persistent disturbance by people's dog limits the feeding time for birds and leads to starvation and poor breeding performance during the spring/summer.

Little terns used to breed on beach but no more due to dogs. The Hares are nearly gone due to people's ignorance.

Skylarks nesting in the dunes are also affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

My opinion on dogs on leads is that a lead is the only way to guarantee control.

While the law on the control of dogs doesn't mention leads, the bylaws of coco'a and coilte need to be respected

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

gregers85 wrote: »

I see people all the time walking there dogs along main roads, often busy with no lead.

I have to say, even thinking about people doing this makes me feel a bit queasy... I cannot bear seeing people walking their dogs along a road, or near a road, with no lead on them, no matter how well-behaved the dog... I just don't know what would possess anyone to do so :(
    Agreed too, that it's good practise to keep your dogs under close control when others are nearby, unless and until they ask can they or their dogs interact with your dog. You just never know what's going to happen, but as long as your dog(s) is under control at least you and your dogs are above reproach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Im on the fence on this one! I do think its ok but only if the owner can control their dogs!

I have two dogs. And one is very leash reactive so if I see a dog coming I actually let her off the lead because I know she is fine then. If I have her on the lead, she will bark to high heavens until she gets to the dog and then will probably snap at them. Off lead, she goes up has a sniff and casually walks away!

But I think even dog owners can be inconsiderate even when on a lead. If I have my dogs on leads and I see a dog coming towards me I will cross the road because I know how my terrier reacts. Obviously sometimes I cant avoid all the dogs so will stand in and put the terrier on a tight leash making it known that this dog is not ok so just be careful. I cannot tell you how many times people still let their dogs have a sniff and my terrier (who at this point would be barking and rearing up) will snap at them and then I get accused of being the bad dog owner!

People should know their dogs and react in the appropriate way and should NEVER just assume that other dogs are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ashbx wrote: »
    Im on the fence on this one! I do think its ok but only if the owner can control their dogs!

I have two dogs. And one is very leash reactive so if I see a dog coming I actually let her off the lead because I know she is fine then. If I have her on the lead, she will bark to high heavens until she gets to the dog and then will probably snap at them. Off lead, she goes up has a sniff and casually walks away!

But I think even dog owners can be inconsiderate even when on a lead. If I have my dogs on leads and I see a dog coming towards me I will cross the road because I know how my terrier reacts. Obviously sometimes I cant avoid all the dogs so will stand in and put the terrier on a tight leash making it known that this dog is not ok so just be careful. I cannot tell you how many times people still let their dogs have a sniff and my terrier (who at this point would be barking and rearing up) will snap at them and then I get accused of being the bad dog owner!

People should know their dogs and react in the appropriate way and should NEVER just assume that other dogs are safe.

What happens when your first dog who is off the lead and going for a sniff goes over to a dog like your terrier?

That owner probably feels like you do. It's not always apparent which dogs don't like getting approached and even if your dog is only going for a sniff before casually walking away, the owner might be dreading it

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

What happens when your first dog who is off the lead and going for a sniff goes over to a dog like your terrier?

That owner probably feels like you do. It's not always apparent which dogs don't like getting approached and even if your dog is only going for a sniff before casually walking away, the owner might be dreading it

I think it helps that I am in that position as well so I tend to be more cautious. If my dogs are off lead, I will not let them go to a dog that is on a lead.....because I know what its like to be in that position! However, if my dogs are off lead and another persons dog is off lead and they don't put their dogs on a lead I would assume they are ok and would happily let my dogs go for a sniff.

Thankfully both my two have great recall so if they do head towards a dog that I think is a bit dodgy they always come back to me when I want them to.

Advertisement