Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounty bags/boxes

Options
  • 18-01-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Just saw this on Facebook: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22751415
    It got me thinking, didn't we used to have something similar here, not quite as generous admittedly. I think they used to be called 'Bounty Bags'. Am I just imagining this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Genius they should hand these out instead of child benefit

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the FInnish system for kids in general.
    I thought the bounty bag was just like the Eumom one we get now with a few bits and bobs in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I got one of these back in 97, in fact I think I got two, one pregnancy one and another after the birth. I think there might have been a third after a few months with baby food in it.Supervalue gave them out. You got the voucher from the hospital.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Actually there was a campaign in the UK to withdraw the Bounty packs as it was essentially data-mining and a hard-sell in the maternity ward of overpriced professional photos that they signed up brand new mothers to when they were in the hazy days of immediate post-partum. A popular mums forum in the UK backed this.

There were reports of the Bounty reps taking patient information from their charts to sign them up to marketing, rudeness/bullying mothers, barging in behind the curtain when mother was trying to nurse, and even bossily asking women who had a loss where her baby was.

So, while the Finnish system is great, and I'd love to see a practical pack given to parents, I'd worry that it would be overtaken by advertising /branding campaigns here, and you'd end up getting a crap box full of crappy sample size junk.

The amount of leaflets and folders containing information I was given during antenatal and post partum care was huge. If they had one single booklet with that information in it less the clip-art and stock photos it would be far handier and more likely to be used and read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Neyite wrote: »
    So, while the Finnish system is great, and I'd love to see a practical pack given to parents, I'd worry that it would be overtaken by advertising /branding campaigns here, and you'd end up getting a crap box full of crappy sample size junk.

That's exactly what you get here, in the EUMOM pack.

As far as I can remember, the contents were:
    - The bag itself - a crappy little flimsy nylon yoke.
    - A Persil branded hooded towel - the texture was like one of those teatowels that don't actually dry anything, sort of like a napkin. And it was tiny.
    - A few sample-sized Johnsons products - and when I say sample-sized, they were TINY, it was ridiculous.
    - A car sunshade advertising some product in massive writing - I didn't use it, my car isn't a billboard.
    - A teething ring - I don't think this was branded, but I don't think we ever used it.
    - Around twenty leaflets advertising all things baby-related - mostly impractical stuff like baby photos, toys, etc.

In fairness I think there was a full-sized pack of Johnsons wipes in there as well ... I'm not a fan of Johnsons, but we used them seeing as they were free! That was about the only worthwhile thing in the pack though, the bulk of it was just leaflets that went straight into the recycling bin.

I absolutely love the idea of the Finnish pack, can't see it ever happening here though, unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think there is more in that pack than I got given, but mine was the HSE one they gave out.

I did get a voucher for Huggies newborn nappies which was nice, and some Huggies wipes which were used up on make-up removal long before the child came out. Some sample sachets of some products I cant remember. And a lot of advertising for foot casts and photos.

Advertisement