Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Break lease

Options
  • 19-01-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My partner has just lost his job we can no longer afford the property we are renting. We have only been here just over 14 weeks. We need to leave asap as we can't afford to pay the rent that will be due the first of the month. So we will be giving just under 2 weeks notice if to leave the end of this month. I need advice asap as I want to tell them as soon as possible to give them as much time as possible to get new tenants before we leave. What are the legal issues here if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

My partner has just lost his job we can no longer afford the property we are renting. We have only been here just over 14 weeks. We need to leave asap as we can't afford to pay the rent that will be due the first of the month. So we will be giving just under 2 weeks notice if to leave the end of this month. I need advice asap as I want to tell them as soon as possible to give them as much time as possible to get new tenants before we leave. What are the legal issues here if any?
    No legal issues as such, but you'll likely lose your deposit unless your landlord is incredibly understanding.

I wish you both well. People lose their jobs all the time and I'm sure it has happened to all of us at some stage. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Some final advice: pick up the phone and tell landlord first thing tomorrow. I know that seems scary maybe but honesty best policy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well the legal issue is that you are liable for the rent for the duration of your lease. You need to talk to your landlord and come to an agreement or plan asap.

Advertisement