Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much did you spend on your pet in 2014?

• 19-01-2015 4:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

I was looking up the price of an item I bought last year from Zooplus and I noticed there was quite a lot of orders :o

I realised it was the first year we pretty much bought everything exclusively from there. I totted up the bill for 2014... any guesses??

The orders account for: a years worth of good quality food and good quality litter, some toys and treats (bearing in mind we get a lot of free stuff from reward points)

The most expensive non-essential single item I can remember purchasing in 2014 was about €10, ie; we have our one cat a number of years and did not need to buy/replace anything expensive, like a cat tree.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well my Zooplus orders add up to over 2.000 EUR (my wife complains I pay more attention to what our cats eat compared to what I eat :P ); on top of that I got a couple of hundred on vet bills so pretty much a normal year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

No vet bills last year for the two dogs so just food and bedding really. The food adds up to about 900 euro. Not a small amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Easily a few hundred euro on toys before I realised I should invest in Kong's as Ali loves to chew the others up!

She's 4 Kong toys now, she got more for Christmas and as of yet, tip wood, they're all in one piece! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I would be afraid to, to be honest, with 3 dogs.

Our dog insurance cost 850 last year alone, plus we had to get in a trainer to stop one of the dogs chasing the chickens, a waste of money in the end,

My amazon orders would add up alright, not to mention my monthly visits to pet shop, annual vaccinations, drontal and advocate too.

Don't want to know to be honest as I went to a 3 day week in work, less money, more time with the dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

This is a rough estimate on what we spent on our guy in 2014:

Pet insurance: €325
    Yearly Vaccinations, kennel cough etc. €95
    Tate of the wild food 4 bags x per year €260
    Meat / Veg per week €10 = €520 I feed him a rotation of taste of the wild and veg and meat
    February 2014 – Vet Bills = €200 tests were 600 we have to pay 1/3 as he’s over 7
    August 2014 €150 Teeth Cleaning
    Teddies / Treats per year €150 He’s always getting something new if not a chatterbox teddy, a nice collar, treats etc.
    Approx. Total: €1,700 Less kennels

Kennels €500 per year… although I suppose that’s not what I spend directly on him.

Crazy really when you see it in black and white… but he’s part of the family and worth every penny.

+ 1 on what Nody’s wife says we too look after our guy better than we do ourselves too!! All for the love of a furry friend, wouldn’t have it any other way :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Don't keep track but somewhere between a lot and an awful lot:P

But as others have said the little fur baba is worth every single cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I have two female dogs, one male & one female cat, male chinchilla and two large Koi fish so between
    - cat/dog/chinchilla/fish Food,
    -chinchilla got extremely ill so that was €200 to the vet,
    - Toys for all except the fish,
    -2 x dog spays €230, Alli's rescue group gave a voucher towards hers.
    -2 x dog licences€40,
    - treats each week,
    -new blankets and bedding,

I think I spent more than I want to know! I have to renew the dog licences next week and This year I want to organise pet insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I try not to think about it because I know the figure is probably insane :pac: I have three cats so between getting food litter, treats, toys, vets bills, insurance etc it adds up quickly! just last we spent nearly 100e on a drinking fountain for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Outch I just totted up my Zooplus bills for last year (first year using it) - about 850 Euro for three cats just for food and some treats.
    However, there was a lot of left overs in the first 2 two months are we were changing from supermarket foods to non-grain foods and had to establish which brands they will actually eat.
    Plus 750 E in vet bills (one cat got seriously sick last year (all good now) and 1 cat got neutered) & 90 E for annual vacs and check-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

I have spent 3,000 on my one thats including her vaccinations, xrays which were unexpected, food, worming, toys and so on, but the truth is I am always buying her something new like collars, leads, toys stuff she does'nt need but I buy them anyway, and that figure also includes grooming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

morgana wrote: »
    Outch I just totted up my Zooplus bills for last year (first year using it) - about 850 Euro for three cats just for food and some treats.
    However, there was a lot of left overs in the first 2 two months are we were changing from supermarket foods to non-grain foods and had to establish which brands they will actually eat.
    Plus 750 E in vet bills (one cat got seriously sick last year (all good now) and 1 cat got neutered) & 90 E for annual vacs and check-up.

I thought I was doing ok until I read that you have three cats!

One cat with a known medical condition:

Total spent in zooplus (food and litter) : €899

Apart from small cheap toys, the only thing we bought that wasn't with reward points was a snugglesafe disc.

Vet Bills for the year: €400, routine for him really, includes a dental with extractions, he's due again now and 2x 'under the weather' visits, with meds. Wormer. No flea medication or vacs for him this year.

Spent about €20 in pet shop in town, thinking specifically of small items I couldn't get from online (identity capsule he wore while we were away)

Luckily we had family to mind him for the 8 weeks.

€1319

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We had a feeling in early 2014 that it might be our last year with him so we didn't count really. His tablets were €25 on a good month, all the regular stuff and a couple of vet visits as extra.
    I would probably say €100 a month. He died 2 weeks into 2015 so it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Gosh, slightly sorry I did this!

Two cats:

We spent €850 on zooplus on food, they will not eat the same thing two days running, and force me to open tins until I select the correct flavour, if I get it wrong I am punished.
    Another 250 on cat litter, most of which ends up scattered around my house and stuck to my feet.
    400 on insurance, 450 on vet bills, would have been much, much higher without insurance, we had one with eye problems and another with a sore leg (she was hopping, we could find nothing wrong, she may have been faking for treats and hugs).
    85 on flea and worm treatments, they now work in cooperation to lick this off each other, so have to be kept apart until it dries in.
    About 200 on toys, which they ignore, they like to play with cotton buds.
    In an attempt to find a bed they liked spent 30 on a cat hammock, 40 on radiator beds and 60 on two 'moon beds', they still sleep on the floor
    50 on a water fountain, which they liked to tip over but refused to drink from.
    About 60 on collars, all lost.
    10 on a clicker for clicker training, I have successfully trained them to glare at me, they have trained me to reward them for this.

A final 20 on chocolates for the neighbour to say thanks for letting us access her back garden when one of them got stuck up a tree, after several hours we gave up with the rescue attempt, she reappeared at my window about 15 minutes later.

€2494, and thats just the things I remember!

Worth every penny though. (all hail to my feline overlords)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I have two pugs and get my dog food from amazon. Just added up the orders for 2014 and it totalled £892.03. Didn't think it was that high. Only had one visit to the vet though, and that was for vaccinations so I can't complain. Much better off spending extra on food if health benefits. I remember spending €300 at the vet in the space of a month in 2012, then looked into diet etc and have found their health has much improved since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

If you spend alot on ZooPlus their Saving Plan is good if you don't have it already. I emailed them last week to renew.

When I checked my zooplus.co.uk account the usual offer of 5% over 3 years for £20 (sterling) was available.

I don't know whether it was by fluke or what but on my zooplus.de account the offer was 8% for some reason at €20 (euro). Bulk orders give me an extra 3% + free delivery. This 11% discount seems to work on the other sites aswell.

(The Savings Plan is not on the website. ZooPlus offered it to me 3 years ago even though I only had just started using them and my orders were small. Maybe email them if you are interested? I found it really good value over the 3 years.)

Advertisement