Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing extract getting PM numbers

Options
  • 19-01-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I brew extract and steep some grains for 30 minutes at 155,I'll do a 4 gallon boil and top off to 5gallon.To my knowledge that shouldn't convert any of the sugars. However the last 3 beers i made the gravity all were high and matched the beer smith recipe as a Partial Mash not and Extract.

What am I doing to cause this? I don't mind the higher og but need to know for consistency

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's possible that the extract you're using has a higher maltose content than BeerSmith assumes.

Also, dude: metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

does steeping categorically not add any sugars?

I've never tested it, but in theory the darker malts won't have any enzymes to do the diastatic conversion from starch to sugar. That said, BeerTools always allows for a bit of extra gravity from steeping, even with black malt and roasted barley, so maybe they know something I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Palmer certainly seems to think it does. BrewTarget as well, but it doesn't have any way to distinguish mashing from steeping so I wouldn't trust it in that regards.

Sorry, yes, obviously it does add sugars. But not fermentable sugars AFAIK, or at least not much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement