Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Ripped

• 19-01-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,
    Im a middle distance track athlete and was looking for some tips to get my body ripped. I played alot of rugby and gaa and have lost alot of excess weight since I took up running. I am not in bad shape but would really like to get my body ripped. Has anybody any dietary, supplement or gym advice which would help me with this? thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Probably be mostly down to your diet and lowering bodyfat than building up muscle bulk because of the running.

What's a typical day's food like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

jamesjoe6 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Im a middle distance track athlete and was looking for some tips to get my body ripped. I played alot of rugby and gaa and have lost alot of excess weight since I took up running. I am not in bad shape but would really like to get my body ripped. Has anybody any dietary, supplement or gym advice which would help me with this? thanks guys

To be ripped u will want to have a decent amount of muscle dont have to huge but id imagine a middle distance runner would need to add muscle to a more sprinter type physique. And also more important would be diet. Also stay doing your running workouts but maybe make them more anaerobic in nature.

So basically you wuld have this

Workouts: Weights: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Military Press
    Running- Sprints, Interval, Tempo running

Nutrition: Increase Protein intake. The best sources of protein would be white chicken, turkey and fish imo.Eggs, Protein shake also helps (if time is an issue)

Carbs-try to keep carbohydrate intake low. try stick to complex carbs. If you are struggling for energy then brown bread instaed of white and brown rice/pasta instead of white. Fruit and Vedge should be also used for your carb intake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

OP do you want to be bigger or do you want to be leaner? You can try both at once but it's not ideal, and you'll probably see quicker results doing a bulk and cut. Either way get on a program working all your muscle groups, especially your back, chest and legs. If you want to get bigger, eat more. If you want to get leaner, eat less. Don't expect quick results, it's a lengthy process which is why most people aren't 'ripped'

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesjoe6

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. Im definitely going to have to cut back on the food intake and take in more protein. I want to get leaner as the extra weight would not help my running. Is there any good supplements or stubborn fat burners that may help speed up the process?

jamesjoe6 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. Im definitely going to have to cut back on the food intake and take in more protein. I want to get leaner as the extra weight would not help my running. Is there any good supplements or stubborn fat burners that may help speed up the process?

Fat burners are a load of bullsh*t imo. The only ingredient in them that works is caffeine, and even then the metabolic effect of caffeine is minimal. A caloric deficit of ~500 a day is what you want. Try aiming for 1-2lb loss every week for a few weeks and then assess where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesjoe6

Thanks Mighty Mandarin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

weight train hard ( like a body builder ) 4 times a week and do 30 mins cardio straight after , you should be raining sweat doing the cardio .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

DaDumTish wrote: »
    weight train hard ( like a body builder ) 4 times a week and do 30 mins cardio straight after , you should be raining sweat doing the cardio .

I would typically do my cardio workout first before weights.
    Does it matter which way around you do it?

killwill wrote: »
    I would typically do my cardio workout first before weights.
    Does it matter which way around you do it?

Better do do cardio after because before weights it reduces the glycogen and that has a negative knock-on effect on weight training

Better do do cardio after because before weights it reduces the glycogen and that has a negative knock-on effect on weight training

Ok. Next question, how in God's name am I meant to run on a threadmill after squats, lunges and deadlifts?!!! Lol.

• Advertisement

Ok. Next question, how in God's name am I meant to run on a threadmill after squats, lunges and deadlifts?!!! Lol.

use the rowing machine instead?

What's the priority-running or weights?

If the latter, it doesn't matter if it's slower. Or just use something else, like a rowing machine

I just ran as Im a natural runner. Hate stationary bikes.
    Ive never actually used a rowing machine in the gym. Must give it a go.
    Thanks.

The rower won't be easy on your legs. But you just have to accept that running of rowing at the end of a session will be slower than if you were fresh. Walking briskly at an incline is another option.

cross trainer turned up to the max , back it off a bit if its a bit too stiff,
    it will actually loosen you out and take the edge of the burn thats coming , and it helps strengthn your legs for running.

but if you weight train v hard , and do hard cardio right after , you will rip up nicely , i wouldnt do spinning though , i think that would be too much .

you should still be able to eat large , but id cut back a chunk , if you are seeing no results in two weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Bulk for a few months - train with weights a few times a week and eat plenty of food.

Then cut - continue to weight train and create a small calorie deficit to shed fat.

Thats all there is to it really.

cut = weight train then cardio right after :)

Advertisement