Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student funding query

Options
  • 18-01-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey, realise this is a somewhat old thread at this stage but seems as good a place an any for my query/queries!
    I did an apprenticeship, was self-employed till last year, applied and got accepted as a mature student for the course I chose. I found the susi application a bit of a brick wall and maybe left it too late to get accounts done, etc. and was offered a job in a factory at the same time so said id take that for the time being until I could get properly sorted. Im gonna apply again this year because my contract is up soon and don't know if it will be extended. Should I try and apply for BTEA allowance if im signing on before college next year or is it better to apply for the grants and try and work part-time and the summer? Im unsure of the ins and outs really. Is it a case of not being allowed work when on BTEA? Will the fact that ive a decent income since October come into play? Do I need to have contributions/stamps built up with social welfare first for btea? Any input welcome, no panic, any help at all mite save me a lot of hassle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To get BTEA you need to have been getting Jobseekers for at least 234 days before the course starts.

If you get BTEA you can work as long as you remain a full-time student.

The grant is a means test and your income for the last full tax year will be assessed so in this case its your income for 2014 that will be the basis of the application. I've attached some more info on the grant. Have a look and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flynners7

paperclip2 wrote: »
    To get BTEA you need to have been getting Jobseekers for at least 234 days before the course starts.

If you get BTEA you can work as long as you remain a full-time student.

The grant is a means test and your income for the last full tax year will be assessed so in this case its your income for 2014 that will be the basis of the application. I've attached some more info on the grant. Have a look and see what you think.

Ya that's loads of help, thanks! Id have to be unemployed now really to get the btea since it's 234 days to mid-september at the moment, so probably won't happen. Hopefully will have saved enough to get me through first year if i go and try and sort the rest out after rather than leaving it off for another year because of a few obstacles. The adjacent and non-adjacent fees are a funny one, my village is 45.1km from the college i applied to last year but have heard from locals they only pay the adjacent amount! Im thinking of applying to a college in another county this time tho so shouldn't matter.

Is it a case of if you don't get Btea before 1st year, you won't be able to apply for it for 2nd year on?

I think you can apply for BTEA for year 2 but you would still need the 234 days on a DSP payment to qualify and if you are studying then you wont get Jobseekers for the school year. that would make it difficult to make up the 234 days needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just on another note for your application OP.
    You should check the NFQ level of your apprenticeship to ensure you are progressing.
    Some apprenticeships carry an NFQ level of higher certificate 6, electricians and plumbing are two.examples.
    This means you must be applying to do an ordinary degree course level 7 or higher to qualify for a grant with the means test.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Just on another note for your application OP.
    You should check the NFQ level of your apprenticeship to ensure you are progressing.
    Some apprenticeships carry an NFQ level of higher certificate 6, electricians and plumbing are two.examples.
    This means you must be applying to do an ordinary degree course level 7 or higher to qualify for a grant with the means test.

An apprenticeship is usually a level 6 Advanced Cert awarded by QQI (FETAC). A Higher Cert is a level 6 cert awarded by QQI (HETAC). This means that the HETAC cert is classed as being at a higher academic level than the FETAC cert and so it may be possible to progress from a FETAC advanced cert into the first year of a HETAC higher cert with your SUSI grant entitlements intact. But Sup08 is right. Its a good idea to double check with SUSI to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 flynners7

Cheers for the info lads. I have a Fetac Level 6 cert but will be applying for a level 7 or 8 course anyway. Ill probably have to just save every penny i earn this year to get me through first year and work part-time and during summer for the following years. Hopefully get some fees paid for, not sure about grants. Ill get a loan if i have to, fairly determined to get a good degree to set me up for 30-40 years of work. I know lads older than me who went back with house + child so if they are managing ill be grand. Just have to wait and see what way work goes now and how much money i can save!

Best of luck with it.
    :)

Advertisement