Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work on site off N55

• 19-01-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea what they are doing with the old rugby grounds off the N55 (just before Fernhill)? They are putting up site hoarding and a digger is in there this morning clearing ground. I live pretty close by and we are wondering what's going in there. Hoping it isn't housing as I can't see there being a need for more housing in Athlone and there is a high risk of it turning into a ****ty ghost estate.

Searches on internet only pull up a plan for the area from 2005, which puts some sort of "community area" in that site, but that is based on the concurrent building of lots of houses/duplexes in the surrounding area (which hasn't happened for obvious reasons)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Given the size of the site and the location, I would be interested in the possibility of lets say, maybe a small GP surgery, a few offices and a number of retail units. The area is busy enough, but I'm not sure if my thinking would be viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

EDit wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what they are doing with the old rugby grounds off the N55 (just before Fernhill)? They are putting up site hoarding and a digger is in there this morning clearing ground. I live pretty close by and we are wondering what's going in there. Hoping it isn't housing as I can't see there being a need for more housing in Athlone and there is a high risk of it turning into a ****ty ghost estate.

Searches on internet only pull up a plan for the area from 2005, which puts some sort of "community area" in that site, but that is based on the concurrent building of lots of houses/duplexes in the surrounding area (which hasn't happened for obvious reasons)

Halting site for travellers ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The area itself is sizeable enough to warrant additional/further investment. If it were a halting site, I'm sure there are other locations it could be places.

Itzy wrote: »
    The area itself is sizeable enough to warrant additional/further investment. If it were a halting site, I'm sure there are other locations it could be places.

A really big halting site for travellers ? I think if it was anything else you'd have seen the planning application.

http://www.errc.org/article/new-halting-sites-law-for-irish-travellers/2042

Could just drop into the Civic Centre and put in a request for information. I think it's something like €20 for the privilege with the option to submit an objection.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    Could just drop into the Civic Centre and put in a request for information. I think it's something like €20 for the privilege with the option to submit an objection.

Personally I would just ask your local councillor what's going on. You shouldn't have to pay 20 Euros just to find out what the development is.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Unlikely to be a halting site (based on this.. http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Westmeath%20Co%20Co%20Traveller%20Accommodation%20Prog%202014%20-%202018%20adopted%2027%20Jan%202014.pdf and the fact that the Blackberry lane site is less than a mile or so from the N55 site). Will ask around neighbours as some of them seem to have a tap into the councils plans.

Unlikely to be a halting site (based on this.. http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Westmeath%20Co%20Co%20Traveller%20Accommodation%20Prog%202014%20-%202018%20adopted%2027%20Jan%202014.pdf and the fact that the Blackberry lane site is less than a mile or so from the N55 site). Will ask around neighbours as some of them seem to have a tap into the councils plans.

The fact that it's less than a mile from the Blackberry lane site makes it much more likely, not less, that it's a halting site. See below.

http://www.errc.org/article/new-halt...ravellers/2042

I guess it might, but the 2014-2018 strategy doc I linked in my previous post says that there are empty units at blackberry lane and that travellers are looking to be put into social housing instead of looking for more halting sites. Would be a bit stupid to open up a new site if there are empty slots in the existing one and less people actually want to live in them.

Anyway, I found this http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/CDP/ATP20142020/Volume%202%20Book%20of%20Maps.pdf which has the area zoned as "commercial" (see map on last page). I guess that means shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

it's a new Supervalu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

slowharry wrote: »
    it's a new Supervalu

Do you have a link or source info, Slowharry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

I saw the tender drawings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Supervalu per yesterday's Westmeath Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

SuperValu, a gp practice and apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

It'd b great if there was a post office aswell

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    SuperValu, a gp practice and apartments

Thanks for info everyone. The above is close to what I've heard, except that there is also supposed to be a "restaurant" in there as well (which I think means a takeaway).

Thanks for info everyone. The above is close to what I've heard, except that there is also supposed to be a "restaurant" in there as well (which I think means a takeaway).

Now if we can get Kin Khao to open a second branch there...

That area of town needs more to it. Supervalu, a post office, GP clinic and a few other outlets would be beneficial. Similar is being built out in Monksland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

This is the development that's taking place on that site and yes its a SuperValu that's going in.

The Development will consist of the a Neighbourhood Centre Development (1967sqm total gross floor area)consisting of a supermarket with Off License and ancillary areas (1504sqm of which 991 sqm is net retail sales area), 3 no retail units (310sqm) and 1 no stand alone restaurant/cafe unit (153 sqm). Permission is also sought for car parking (125 no spaces) services yard, ESB substation, building mounted and free standing signage, hard and soft landscaping, boundary treatments and all associated site and development works. Access is proposed via a new junction on the Ballymahon road which will provide access to the current application site and adjoining development lands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

charlieIRL wrote: »
    This is the development that's taking place on that site and yes its a SuperValu that's going in.

The Development will consist of the a Neighbourhood Centre Development (1967sqm total gross floor area)consisting of a supermarket with Off License and ancillary areas (1504sqm of which 991 sqm is net retail sales area), 3 no retail units (310sqm) and 1 no stand alone restaurant/cafe unit (153 sqm). Permission is also sought for car parking (125 no spaces) services yard, ESB substation, building mounted and free standing signage, hard and soft landscaping, boundary treatments and all associated site and development works. Access is proposed via a new junction on the Ballymahon road which will provide access to the current application site and adjoining development lands
    Where is this from?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Where is this from?

Westmeath County Council website - all drawings and documents are available to view online.

What's the application name?

Westmeath County Council website - all drawings and documents are available to view online.

Do you have a link? Would be interesting to have a look at.

Foxglade Ltd
    Planning Ref: 133032
    Here

Foxglade Ltd
    Planning Ref: 133032
    Here

in case anyone is interested, if you go to the above link and click on the "view scanned files" link and then select DRAWINGS, you can see some good images of what this development will end up looking like. Will be interesting to see what they end up doing with the northern most section (the part that is not included in that particular application, but that appears to be owned by the developers)

Advertisement