Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school database

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If a child was missing 19 days each year the school would probably report them anyway. There's a facility for reporting any student whose attendance is causing concern.

You're confusing mandatory reporting at 20 days with arbitrary reporting when they have a concern. they're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Orion wrote: »
    You're confusing mandatory reporting at 20 days with arbitrary reporting when they have a concern. they're not mutually exclusive.

I'm not confusing anything. I do this four times a year. You said a school was only required to report unexplained absences. You're wrong.

The post you quoted was dealing with a different issue.

I'm not confusing anything. I do this four times a year. You said a school was only required to report unexplained absences. You're wrong.

The post you quoted was dealing with a different issue.

They are required to report 20 unexplained absences. They have a separate requirement to report any child protection concerns.

They are required to report 20 unexplained absences. They have a separate requirement to report any child protection concerns.

385813.JPG

Perhaps you could point out the word unexplained?

I'm out.

I can't but a secondary school principal told me that when I spoke to him about my daughter missing a number of days due to health issues. He explained quite definitely that it was unexplained absences.

That screenshot is old. Tusla is the replacement for NEWB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

The data holding age has been reduced to age 19 BTW. Which I still don't agree with, but it's something. Have a meeting with the principle next week to discuss concerns. I told her that the funding threat had been removed & she hadn't been informed of that yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

meeeeh wrote: »
    Which is fine but if kids move school mid year, they can teorethically have 19 in each school without Tusla knowing anything.
    Surely the new principal should ask the old principal for details of absences, along with other details.
    Considering you can be prosecuted for not sending kids to school I really don't know what is the issue with centralized data.
    Unnecessary and disproportionate. Current situation of reporting by principals gives TUSLA the information they need. Why change this?
    TUSLA then generally does nothing. They don't have the staff. They might act if a child has missed 50 or 60 days. Even then the school would have to submit a separate report outlining what steps have been taken at school level.
    This varies locally, depending on local workload and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Surely the new principal should ask the old principal for details of absences, along with other details.

And surely the gardai who were entering the data about the guy who attacked the female taxi driver should enter data about him being on the parole in Pulse. People should do a lot of things. More you centralize data gathering and analysis less chance of an error there is.

And surely the gardai who were entering the data about the guy who attacked the female taxi driver should enter data about him being on the parole in Pulse. People should do a lot of things. More you centralize data gathering and analysis less chance of an error there is.

You're contradicting yourself there at bit - Gardai have the centralised PULSE system, but it didn't really help them.

I'm not sure where you got your 'centralised data gathering is better' from? That's a vast oversimplification, and ignores every principle of Data Protection law. Only data that is required should be collected, so there is no need for Dept Ed to have attendance records for every pupil.

Why not? Considering parents can be prosecuted for kids not attending school so I don't know what has that to do with data protection. You are either in school or you are not.

• Advertisement

I can't but a secondary school principal told me that when I spoke to him about my daughter missing a number of days due to health issues. He explained quite definitely that it was unexplained absences.

That screenshot is old. Tusla is the replacement for NEWB

Here's this year's form - you still won't find the word unexplained. The principal you spoke to was wrong.

385843.JPG

This varies locally, depending on local workload and resources.

I'm sure it does. But EWOs will tell you that they simply wouldn't have the time to chase a family where a child misses 20 days. They have to prioritize and focus on the chronic attenders.

Why not? Considering parents can be prosecuted for kids not attending school so I don't know what has that to do with data protection. You are either in school or you are not.

Because the vast majority of students attend school normally, so TUSLA have no reason to see that data. And for the tiny minority, the school already notifies TUSLA.

So what needs to change from the current situation? What problem will be solved by centralising this data?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) comes into play, May 2018.

This new regulation should bring an end to POD shenanigans.

http://www.twobirds.com/~/media/pdfs/gdpr-pdfs/bird--bird--guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation.pdf?la=en

Cool? Which bit, there is 66 pages of content at least?

Cool? Which bit, there is 66 pages of content at least?

Sixty six pages is not that much-I'm not going to summarise it for you.

Now is as good time as any to familiarise yourself with all of it.

Sixty six pages is not that much-I'm not going to summarise it for you.

Now is as good time as any to familiarise yourself with all of it.

So you haven't got a clue what you are posting about. Again. If you want to fight a cause it helps if you know what it is about.

So you haven't got a clue what you are posting about. Again. If you want to fight a cause it helps if you know what it is about.

I have very much 'a clue' what I'm posting about
    but I'm not going to pander to you as your quite rude on thread.

BTW It's already summarised for you, try reading the 'at a glance' sections.

I have very much 'a clue' what I'm posting about
    but I'm not going to pander to you as your quite rude on thread.

BTW It's already summarised for you, try reading the 'at a glance' sections.

Yes but I am busy with two kids and a bit dense so I don't understand it that well. Could you let me know what exactly will different after this and what affects government departments and what affects commercial aspects of data gathering?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.tuppenceworth.ie/blog/ this is well worth reading.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://www.tuppenceworth.ie/blog/ this is well worth reading.

Simon McGarr has done some stellar work on this over the last year or so-
    fair play to him!

Advertisement