Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to dump an old mobile phone in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know a place where I can dump an old mobile phone (basic Nokia) which is not working anymore so that it gets recycled or disposed in whichever way is appropriate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

You could send it to

Jack and Jill Foundation

FREEPOST F5004
    Unit 16, Oak Road Business Park
    Dublin 12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

com1 wrote: »
    You could send it to

Jack and Jill Foundation

FREEPOST F5004
    Unit 16, Oak Road Business Park
    Dublin 12

Cheers, if it also helps with a good cause I might as well do that.

Wondering how they can raise money with this though ... the phone is not working and an equivalent Nokia phone can be purchased brand new for just a bit over 20 euros. I would have thought the cost of properly recycling it would be higher that whatever amount you can recover from the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Never really thought about it. I can only assume that they have a fairly sound business model.

If it were me, I would be selling the phone on to a reclamation company where economies of scale would kick in e.g. if it costs €1 to recycle the phone but you get €5 worth of precious metals / other useful materials out of it then recycling 1 million phones would net a profit of €4,000,000. So if J&J sell the phone to the reclaimer for €2.50 both do well. Or, even better, work off a profit share e.g. take 50% of the profit realised by their phones. (I have no idea of any actual costs it is just a for example...)

I was speaking to a chap who runs an IT hardware reclamation company and it would appear that the profits can be quite substantial - not sure whether there was much exaggeration involved but he told me that you can get up to €100 worth of precious metals out of a PC

Advertisement