Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does cold calling work?

Options
  • 19-01-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

and if it does what reflection is it for your business for those that say no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Is the question "Does cold calling work?" or "Cold calling on Doors?"

It depends on what your selling them but i would imagine the close rate is low. Its a mass marketing tool, you can cold call people til the cows come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Buttercake wrote: »
    Is the question "Does cold calling work?" or "Cold calling on Doors?"

It depends on what your selling them but i would imagine the close rate is low. Its a mass marketing tool, you can cold call people til the cows come home.

Sorry, mean to say "Does"....I'll give the cold calling a miss then.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I wouldn't rule it out, depends what you are selling and if its B2B or B2C. Business owners love nothing more than talking about themselves, its just a matter of getting to them, send an email or letter in first then follow up call or just call them direct, take a chance.

B2C is different, bored housewives or the elderly who would be at home all day, unless you called in the evenings. They get their fair share of cold calls ever day from the big players: ntl to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Cold calling does work! What matters is the quality of the list from which you are working and the quality of your proposition/offer allied to the interest/receptiveness of the recipient. Ringing the phone book don't cut it!

A really good instantly engaging patter/script is key, delivery in a clear easily understood accent is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

pedronomix wrote: »
    Cold calling does work! What matters is the quality of the list from which you are working and the quality of your proposition/offer allied to the interest/receptiveness of the recipient. Ringing the phone book don't cut it!

A really good instantly engaging patter/script is key, delivery in a clear easily understood accent is vital.

Agree 100%

If done correctly, cold calling is a very useful tool, especially in B2B. But you need to research before you cold call, so actually do a 'luke warm' call as it were. And a very engaging opening line is key.

'Can I speak to the boss?' just won't cut it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

My tuppence hapenny's worth.

Horses for courses. Cold calling, be it in person or by phone requires a tremenduous amount of energy and perseverance. You also need a very good script and an instant value proposition.

My experience over the last 30 years is that cold calling is very challenging. You need to figure out who the decission maker is. Very often they are well protected by receptionist / voice mail. And may simply not be in the market for the product / service you are trying to sell.

I am not a great fan of this gentleman, but he does make a lot of sense when it comes to cold calling ; Frank J. Rumbauskas. Typical American.

You probably are better served putting energy and resources into internet market / SEO etc. With a good program the leads you develop from this type of activity are hot calls to people that have identified your product / service and are in the market for it.

On a personal note, I can not recall a situation where I have bought - as a business or as "private citizen" - from somebody who contacted me / doorstepped me. The interrumption puts me off, I want to chose when / where I need something and then go about doing my research.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement